1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Tricker's Iris Cordovan Eaton Modification by Shoehealer, Doncaster, UK.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Jonny Cooper, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Jonny Cooper

Jonny Cooper Active Member

I have chosen to start another thread for this topic as it really doesn't belong in the MTO Group Buy section where I initially mentioned it.

I bought my Iris Cordovan Eaton Boots from Richard at Shoehealer as I am fortunate enough to live very close in the same town.

I like boots that are slightly different to the norm & these fitted the bill, although as they had already been specced by Shohealer, they had a Commando sole fitted which, in my opinion spoiled the smart look of these stunning boots.

I know it is a hard wearing sole & is the choice favoured by many but it looked far to industrial for what I consider to be a very smart boot.

I wore them with the Commando for a few weeks & learned a lot about Cordovan, apart from the fact that it came from a horse which is all I really knew when I bought them, before deciding I would definitely go for the sole change so off to Shoehealer I went.

They have been deconstructed with all the welt stitching obviously being removed before a Joh. Rendenbach double leather sole was fitted with new stitching in the original off white colour & a new leather heel stack & heel was affixed before the sole was trimmed & polished with a hard wax...........and then polished again as I really like the look of a highly polished leather sole edge.

Rob did all the work & made a great job.I did go back the following week for the extra polishing & to say thanks to Rob & the guys for bearing with me & giving me exactly what I had in mind I arrived bearing boxes of cream cakes which seemed to bring smiles to faces!!

The guys photographed each stage & have emailed me the images so if anyone is interested in looking I will share them with you here.

I guess it isn't a popular conversion for some people as the Commando is a popular sole & athough the boots were handmade by Tricker's they [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now have been modified by Shoehealer but it is a great job. The welt stitching has used each & every one of the original holes, the original natural Barbour welt has been retained & I have a pair of boots that I love.

See what you think......

I have removed the white laces that they fitted for the photographs & have tan ones in which I think make a nice contrast.

Jonny.

1 person likes this.
  2. Jonny Cooper

[​IMG]I thought that had gone too well. I missed a photo off & it's the one that shows the initial destruction when the heel stack is ripped off. Ouch!

3. Jonny Cooper

For anyone not bored by now, here is a photo of them with tan laces in.

I have also added coat after coat of neutral wax polish to the sole edge which is really building up the shine.[​IMG]

4. zippyh

zippyh Well-Known Member

Very nice.

BTW, there's a dedicated Tricker's thread besides the MTO one.

5. Jonny Cooper

Thanks.

I haven't really found my way around on here just yet but that might have been a better place for me to share my photos.

I keep looking at the MTO group buy threads but haven't decided on anything just yet.

A pair of Magano Brown Tricker's Stow boots in my size will be arriving at Shoehealer in September so will have a look at those before committing to buy them as cordovan may well be a bit too easily marked for my liking.

On the photo with the tan laces you can clearly see small welts that appeared on the first wearing & I am fighting to remove. I've used spoons wrapped in microfibre cloths, have bought a deer bone & brushed them for hours on end all to no avail.

They do look great though so I will keep at it.

Jonny.

6. shady_2001

shady_2001 Well-Known Member

tbh, i find it much improved. you're right, the commando soles don't exactly match the boot.

7. badeggcat

badeggcat Well-Known Member

Much better than the commando sole but the heel looks a little odd especially in your own photograph.

8. Jonny Cooper

[​IMG]
    I agree there is a multitude of shades of leather in the heel stack but it looks a lot more subtle in the flesh & loads better than the commando.