• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Triathlons

dsgNYC

Reaction score
I've finally started to do some real training in preparation for competing in a few olympic distance triathlons this summer. Are there are any fellow masochists on SF?

Are you currently, or planning to start, your training for triathlons this spring/summer/fall?

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
I have done a few sprints. I do not necessarily "train." I do goto the gym, and do a lot of cardio, and during summer i ride my bike on avg about 25 miles a day.

But this year, I was planning on doing a oly tri. But I just fractured my tailbone, so running and biking are difficult.

Plus I just plan old suck at swimming.

GL, takes about IMO if you are in shape a few months to prepare to be a mid packer.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My goal is to do a triathlon by the Spring of 2010.

I will be working on my swimming this summer and I'm currently scoping out an appropriate (cheap) bike.

Any tips on where to find a decent, economical road bike is appreciated!

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
In college I raced a lot.
Ironman New Zealand 2005

greekonomist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd love to do it if I didn't suck at swimming...and owned a bike. But mainly just the swimming.

Tim_Whatley

Reaction score
google search "total immersion" for a potential swimming solution.

chiral

Reaction score
I would love to do a triathlon, but unfortunately with my recent ankle surgery I don't know if I'll be able to do the running section without killing myself.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can swim, bike & run passably you can get through a sprint tri without much training. An olympic distance may be a bit more of a challenge but still very doable. An ocean swim or hilly bike / run of course makes things a bit harder. If you want to be age group competitive that is a whole different story. But however you do it the people are great & the events are very fun.

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekonomist
I'd love to do it if I didn't suck at swimming...and owned a bike. But mainly just the swimming.

The swimming seems to be the biggest hurdle for most people. Luckily I've been on a swim team and/or playing water polo since I was 5 so that's not a big issue for me.

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tim_Whatley
google search "total immersion" for a potential swimming solution.

+1 I've heard a lot of good things about Total Immersion from people who were beginner swimmers.

dsgNYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by quevola
My goal is to do a triathlon by the Spring of 2010.

I will be working on my swimming this summer and I'm currently scoping out an appropriate (cheap) bike.

Any tips on where to find a decent, economical road bike is appreciated!

You can check out the classified forum at slowtwitch.com, that's where I picked up an economical tri bike.

As far as shooting for 2010, you probably don't need that long if you want to do an Olympic distance triathlon. You could probably do one in July or August if you work at it. Now, if you want to do a half ironman or ironman then that's a whole different story.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My sister did the half Ironman the last couple years in NH on Lake Winnie. While the water was very choppy she said it was the easiest part because it was the first leg of the race. She was out in a very quick time.

The last leg with the 13 mile run was the worst because while the swim was in the early morning the run was in the heat of the day and it was awful out there.

While she posted an excellent time and made up nearly 200 places on last year's time it's amazing watching the world class athletes finish. There were a number of olympians and top 10 Ironman athletes there who just blew the field away.

We have a friend who is doing her first half Ironman this summer in June and she is starting training next week. My sister for her training would do lots of regular triathalons, training with men instead of women, and riding long charity events such as the bike run from Boston to Provincetown.

Me? I don't have the patience, heart, nor endurance. I like biking but I can't run and swimming long distance isn't a strong suit of mine. I'd rather cheer others on.

Berticus

Reaction score
Completing a triathlon is on my list of things to do before I turn 30.

pauliodotnet

Reaction score
for a road bike, just craigslist - you do not need some over priced bike to get em done. if you want to shave time later on, then it will help to invest a better bike.

unexpected

Reaction score
question: where do you guys swim for tri training? The best I can do is a 25 yard pool, but does this adequately prepare you for a tri?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads