• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

trends you hate on plebs

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Per timeless style (or the endless circle jerk as i like to call it).
Truly timeless style is obviously a misnomer, but for practical purposes anything that lasts for 50-100 years is timeless. Within that context there are absolutely items that will last and fit the bill as "timeless." e.g.
Basic leather boots
Wool knits
5 Pocket denim jeans
Chinos
Some form of the suit
Button downs
and so on.
Now OBVIOUSLY the cut, color (to some extent), and accessories will change. The desire to dress in "timeless fashion" will also change. But I can promise that a pair of good leather boots is not a fleeting trend. I own a pair and have for the last twenty years. My dad owns a pair, my grandfather and his father owned a pair, and my kid owns a pair. The desire to swan around like a lumberjack/mineworker/urban hunter is a trend. However, the parts that make up the outfit are generally not, in and of themselves, trends and you will likely get a lot of milage out of them. A wool peacoat will not become dated overnight (or even in the next ten years).
Chrono's best point is that "timeless" style is a trend right now and folks should recognize that.

As for Americana I guess I don't really see it as a strictly workwear trend. I always saw it as having split, one direction being turn of the century workwear inspired, the other being the Ivy/Preppy american "roots" style of the 50's-60's.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I've dressed the same way for years, like a forgotten member of Pearl Jam, but the designer/contemporary version (basically, tighter clothes.) If you want to see what I dress like, at least during winter, check out the Krane website and look for the FW09 collection. That's pretty much it.

Oh, i know you've had your style for a good while, but i thought the kid was new. Just joking about how after having kids for a few year it usually will change a man though kunk's dad wear is....unusual.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Oh, i know you've had your style for a good while, but i thought the kid was new. Just joking about how after having kids for a few year it usually will change a man though kunk's dad wear is....unusual.

Heh. Well, I've been married over four years now, and my first baby was born over 2 years ago... Not that much has changed, except that I don't have 7% BF anymore. But that is more due to my age + love for deserts than anything else.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Bbq and pizza is my weakness
frown.gif

heyheyhey

Reaction score
its my job to make pizzas. Way too tempting to just eat the mistakes when you get a break.

A slice a day is not good for your stomach my friends.

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bbq chicken pizzas are the shiz

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
It's all about prosciutto pineapple and jalapeno.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads