• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

trends you hate on plebs

driveslowk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Man I used to love og like 12 years ago, same with cheesecake and other spots like sizzler haha.

I don't even go that high-end but eating better food, i think, has done more damange to my bank account than clothing has for the past few months.

saving money is definitely a pleb trend i miss.

edit: my girl's friend went to a "birthday dinner" for her friend and it was at TGIF and i nearly threw up. Cheesecake is decent, but tgif has to be worse than olive garden.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
Me too. There's a "lifestyle center" (basically, an outdoor mall catering to the 30-something professional set) about three miles from me with Brooks Bros., J. Crew and DSW (a shoe store filled with square toes). That's as "nice" as you're going to get in Greensboro. Then you have Four Seasons with stores geared to the younger set (Ambercrombie, Victoria's Secret, Gap, etc.). Not even American Apparel or Urban Outfitters, never mind high-end department stores. The anchors of Four Seasons is JC Penney, Belks, and Dillards. I'd say 95% of my wardrobe is bought online. The other 5% is socks, underwear, and maybe an odd t-shirt from Pac Sun or American Eagle. Certainly nothing like outerwear or shoes.
All you kids crying about poor shopping need to stuff it. Try living in ******* Canada, where I'm hours away from anything nice, and even then, that nice **** costs about 50% more than it does in the states. And even if I wanted to "slum it" with J Crew or whatever, yeah, can't do that, no J Crew. Gap, H+M, that's it. Definitely no ******* high end dept. stores unless you count Holt Renfrew, but again, 50% more than it would cost in the states. Stores with SF approved stuff like Nomad or whatever have insane ******* prices. My entire wardrobe is peasant student stuff from Gap / H+M or secondhands from B+S forum here. Go shop in the states? Get assfucked on duties plus having to drive out there, and if I want to ship something I get assfucked at customs. edit: bbq pizza is for heathens

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kelvinsense
I don't even go that high-end but eating better food, i think, has done more damange to my bank account than clothing has for the past few months.

saving money is definitely a pleb trend i miss.

edit: my girl's friend went to a "birthday dinner" for her friend and it was at TGIF and i nearly threw up. Cheesecake is decent, but tgif has to be worse than olive garden.

Glad it's not just me and my sensitive tummy. I swear, if you dont' go to olivegarden/chilis/tgif for like a year or two, once you go back it makes you sick. Just some kind of cheap preservative or something. I still haven't figured out what triggers it but have tried.

I always get suckered into tgif on occasion with "well, they have a lot of appetizers and i like those sesame jack chicken strips. i'll be ok if i only split some apps"

Keroberos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
I prefer Brooklyn Hipster Mustard made in the bathtub.

That's not mustard.
uhoh.gif

ma1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
All you kids crying about poor shopping need to stuff it. Try living in ******* Canada, where I'm hours away from anything nice, and even then, that nice **** costs about 50% more than it does in the states. And even if I wanted to "slum it" with J Crew or whatever, yeah, can't do that, no J Crew. Gap, H+M, that's it. Definitely no ******* high end dept. stores unless you count Holt Renfrew, but again, 50% more than it would cost in the states. Stores with SF approved stuff like Nomad or whatever have insane ******* prices. My entire wardrobe is peasant student stuff from Gap / H+M or secondhands from B+S forum here.

Go shop in the states? Get assfucked on duties plus having to drive out there, and if I want to ship something I get assfucked at customs.

edit: bbq pizza is for heathens

j crew ships to canada, I've never been hit by customs when buying from there. Also, fyi, you don't have to pay duties if it's american made. Only stuff made overseas.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ma1
j crew ships to canada, I've never been hit by customs when buying from there. Also, fyi, you don't have to pay duties if it's american made. Only stuff made overseas.

I just grabbed a university coat off there and had them mark it as a gift so I'm hoping I don't get hit with anything.

Originally Posted by Uncontrol
h&m is unironically better than j.crew

Maybe for your aesthetic, everything I've had from H+M has died as I tend to wear a few things hard rather than have a closet full of stuff I'll wear once. Plus it just doesn't fit that well. Plus the H+M in my city (London) sucks large amounts of balls - even the ones DT Toronto I have a hard time finding cool stuff.

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Don't baby your expensive ****. Go ford a river, hike through a forest. Get dirty in the day and rock them at night.

(May apply more to jeans than to three-pieces)

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
i truly don't understand what "wearing clothes hard" means

Wearing your clothes often and not treating them like princesses

I'm not attacking you here - but your outfits in an office setting don't get much wear besides sitting on a chair, that's why you can get away with wearing stuff like H+M often. Everything I've "worn" from H+M has died, unravelled, faded, ripped, or stained.

aeglus

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
dryer is what kills clothes, I hang dry all my stuff (which is obvious if you're familiar with living in Asia at all) and wash things frequently, never had any problems with any clothes falling apart other than random buttons falling off

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Glad it's not just me and my sensitive tummy. I swear, if you dont' go to olivegarden/chilis/tgif for like a year or two, once you go back it makes you sick. Just some kind of cheap preservative or something. I still haven't figured out what triggers it but have tried.
the same thing happens to me at my grandparents nowadays. I love their food and they go shopping every other friday...

then again maybe i am not used to southern food anymore?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads