• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trend of Doing up the Bottom Button

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a lot of people, notably TV personalities, but also folks on the street, are doing up the bottom buttons of their two and three button jackets these days. Is this a trend anyone else has noticed? Is it a byproduct of so many men not wearing suits for a couple of decades? Is it just that that many people don't know it's abnormal? I'd be surprised if it was the last option, as even the lowest end stores, in my experience, tell you not to do up the bottom button - that's where I learned the rule when I bought my first single breasted suit.

I'm quite curious whether this is a conscious thing, or just people not knowing you aren't supposed to button it all the way up. Is this a conscious return toward an almost 19th century formality, or has it always been like this, and I'm only just noticing it?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like total ****. Don't do it.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't say I was going to do it, just seems that a lot of people are doing it, and I'm curious if it's being done out of ignorance, indifference, or as a conscious fashion choice.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Ignorance it is, not helped by the amount of mannequins in mall stores with suits all buttoned up (presumably set up by women) - I was in Express (in my defence I was with the missus) and went round undoing the bottom buttons on all the mannequins!

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ignorance it is, not helped by the amount of mannequins in mall stores with suits all buttoned up (presumably set up by women) - I was in Express (in my defence I was with the missus) and went round undoing the bottom buttons on all the mannequins!

:crackup:

adam-r8

Reaction score
When it's done by a supposedly well-dressed attorney on 'Suits' these people don't stand a chance. I think it's always been there but i find it more noticeable where i am now due to the number of younger people wearing super slim fitting jackets

steveabdn

Reaction score
Just guessing here but could this be a consequence of the current trend to cut jackets so tightly that they gape open at the beltline? Unless you want the jacket splayed open there seems little option with this type of cut than fastening the bottom button

Just a thought

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blame JFK.

It's so wrong it must be right...?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads