• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trend corneliani

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a cotton Trend Corneliani suit a couple of weeks ago at Loehmann's. I was pretty impressed by the construction on this suit. The trousers have side tabs and brace buttons, no belt loops. The coat has a fused front and canvas lapels, with pick stiching on the lapels.

I haven't been in a Polo store lately--are their blue label suits done at the Trend Corneliani-type quality level? If so, it seems like they would be a fair (not good) value at their current sale prices, though I'd probably be able to have my HK tailor make a better suit for a couple hundred more.

On a separate note, does anyone know the price range on the Corneliani MTM suits?

Lomezz

Reaction score
I've tried on Corenlaini and Polo blue in succession just this week, and I think I detected very thin fusing on the Polo. It was not very noticeable, but when I pinched the suit front, as per instructions culled from this very forum, the Polo fabric was slightly thicker and the backing felt smoother when rolled between my finegrs. The Corneliani felt the same thickness as the sleeve fabric. The Saks salesman swore that the Polo is canvas, though.

regularjoe

Reaction score
I thought I've heard/read that Polo Blue Label is fused, but MTM is not. Can someone confirm this?

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Trend Corneliani I got is half-lined, so you can easily see the "guts." It is half-canvas as it definitely has a fused front but has canvas lapels--you can see the stitching on the back of the lapels. I'd expect the RTW blue labels to be made either this way, or with fused lapels in addition to the fused front. That's what I'd like to know--whether they are half canvas or totally fused.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polo blue label is fused, with canvas stitched lapels. Not worth the money, though at maybe 450 - 500 not a bad deal. A great silhouette IMO.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
retro, corneliani mtm starts at about $1200.

i like the latest polo silhouette as well. i might pick one up if i can find one at 50% off or so.

the new zegna "z" line has a similar shape and a slightly lower price. i'm guessing the zegnas have flat front pants and a 7" drop, which i'd prefer. (i've tried on a jacket but not the pants.)

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, matador.

Yeah, for $1000 the blue labels don't seem like a good deal at all, but they do have a very cool silhouette. At the sale prices just under $700 they look a bit more attractive, but even at that price point I have difficulty pulling the trigger on any half-canvas RTW suit when the basic WW Chan suits are about $750. $500 would be a hit for me.

My curiosity about Corneliani-made products was piqued by my new suit, perhaps I'll check out their main line. Or just have Chan take a crack at making a duplicate . . .

Lomezz

Reaction score
I liked most everything about the Polo sillhuette except the shoulders - a little too narrow, at least for me, such that the overall effect seemed unbalanced: narrow shoulders and a flaring skirt. Corneliani has two models (at least at Saks): the 'spencer', with a medium shoulder but squarish body, and the 'vogue', with a big shoulder but trimmer, more well defined body. Now, if they were to combine the spencer shoulder and the vogue body, they might have something going...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads