• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trenchcoat - Should I try an S size?

Descalabro

Reaction score
Hello.

I recently bought a military trenchcoat but I'm not sure I feel happy with the way it fits.

The coat's shoulder marks are about 1.2" (3cm) beyond my shoulder bone and I think the coat should stop right below the knee, not so much middleways between the knee and the foot. The sleeve's lining goes about 0.8" (2cm) beyond the wrist.

I know this kind of coat is supposed to be worn over other warm clothing and not so close to the body, but I don't wear that much clothing volume, and I would like to reduce the amount of tissue under the armpits and around the waist/chest/shoulders but still reaching bellow the knee and without giving the impression of wearing a miniature trenchcoat, because that is not my goal. I would like this coat to have an elegant fitting more than a heavy fitting.

This one is size M from the website (46N is written on the coat) and they also sell S, L and XL. I am wondering if an S would be too small

Gallery here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56823059@N02/

Thanks for reading and helping.

Descalabro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Insensitive
I think you've answered your own question. I have several raincoats. One is sized smaller but not tight that I wear more casually and that is never worn over a jacket though I don't have a problem wearing the more full ones that way too. I don't think you'll be busted by the trench coat police. I'd try to get the garment measurements of the small and use that to make the decision. I'd hate to have to go to an interview or funeral or something on a rainy day and not be able to cover up my suit because my only raincoat doesn't fit over it so I'd give some thought to your requirements.
I see what you mean. I think my main concern here is wearing a military trechcoat without looking like I just came from WWII, even if that sounds a bit contradictory. I don't have any suit or any clothing I need protected (most of my clothes are relatively cheap and are not ruined by water), but I will give some thought to my requirements. Thanks for all the replies so far.

Jay

Reaction score
The coat is way too big. You should size down.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need a size small, and then you need to get that tailored.

Descalabro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
You need a size small, and then you need to get that tailored.
Well, let's see how the S fits. What modifications would you do? Besides having it properly ironed and the sleeves properly set.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can tell you right now, if that is the medium, the small may still be too big or roomy for you. I would take in the waist and sleeves.

Descalabro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
I can tell you right now, if that is the medium, the small may still be too big or roomy for you. I would take in the waist and sleeves.

I contacted the store and told them about the 46N tag on the collar of that trench-coat. They said a 46N is usually an XL size, so I asked them if that applies to trench-coats also, because I find it hard to believe the jacket I ordered is the biggest they sell. They told me the warehouse was not opened today so they couldn't answer my question. What do you think?

I'm really an ignorant about clothe sizings and searching the web doesn't give me a clear answer.

I'm also interested in ordering this one:
https://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/pr...20Wool%20Tunic

Since they have real size indications there, I suppose that having a 37.8 chest size I should order the 38 size. But since I'm thin maybe the 36 size would make a better fit?

I appreciate any help here.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Descalabro
I contacted the store and told them about the 46N tag on the collar of that trench-coat. They said a 46N is usually an XL size, so I asked them if that applies to trench-coats also, because I find it hard to believe the jacket I ordered is the biggest they sell. They told me the warehouse was not opened today so they couldn't answer my question. What do you think?

I'm really an ignorant about clothe sizings and searching the web doesn't give me a clear answer.

I'm also interested in ordering this one:
https://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/pr...20Wool%20Tunic

Since they have real size indications there, I suppose that having a 37.8 chest size I should order the 38 size. But since I'm thin maybe the 36 size would make a better fit?

I appreciate any help here.

Look here:

http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/store...%2Btrenchcoats

Zara quality isn't that great or popular on here, but for a young man who wants his clothes to fit, Zara is a good place to start. They have plenty of military style coats that you like, and will be 3/4 or full length.

Descalabro

Reaction score
Yes, I understand what you mean. Zara is a brand I can afford (probably it is my limit...) and I had been looking at their coats too, but all of them look shorter than mine (sorry, I didn't find any full lenght). I believe that the coat I bought will reach just bellow the knee if I get the correct size for me. I know the coat I ordered isn't great quality but I like it more than the ones at Zara, it looks like a real long coat. Still I appreciate sugestions.

hrb

Reaction score
go for what you like brandwise. that said you are most certainly a small. 36. (i have the same chest measurement as you.) good luck!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads