• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Trench coats?

cmrocks

Reaction score
I live in Vancouver, BC so it's raining and cold all winter long. I'd like to get a trench coat or something similar. I like the burberry style coats with the belt around the waist. I don't want to get black or tan though. I'd like the coat to be grey or navy. Also, maybe a bit more casual than a burberry coat as I would be wearing it with jeans.

Any suggestions?

Notreknip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could try Michael J Krell's (affiliate) in green? (I have the khaki and love it.) I wish he did it in grey, but the other colors are very nice as well.

Ozarks

Reaction score
I've got one from Michael as well (black) and while I haven't had the opportunity to wear it, I quite like it as well.

Viktri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
I live in Vancouver, BC so it's raining and cold all winter long. I'd like to get a trench coat or something similar. I like the burberry style coats with the belt around the waist. I don't want to get black or tan though. I'd like the coat to be grey or navy. Also, maybe a bit more casual than a burberry coat as I would be wearing it with jeans. Any suggestions?
I've been wearing my black double breasted belted burberry trench lately to work. I got mine for $200 near Seattle a month ago at the Nordstrom Rack. They only had black though. I know you can get navy blue in London, but as you're in Vancouver I'm not sure if we have em here. It has been raining lately..

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could get a vintage Burberry and have it altered:

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrjosh
Barbour makes a great trench, I picked one up last week. It comes in navy or olive waxed cotton.

Yep, I've got my eye on the Barbour Collingwood and will probably pick one up before the end of the year:

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How does it fit?

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
You could get a vintage Burberry and have it altered:

What did you have done?

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
What did you have done?
Shortened a bit, maybe too much, and taken in at the sides. It's a good beater, I only wear it when it actually rains, like today.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks really good Lucky Strike. Trench coats that are too long look costumey, imo.

cvac

Reaction score
That Burberry was obviously shortened. IMO, a dumb idea because not only does it look out of proportion but the whole point of a trench coat is to cover you to keep you from getting wet. That's why a trench should hit your knees or maybe 1-2" inches below.

The Barbour pictured doesn't look to be the right length either.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40