• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coats in SoCal?

brycelarkin

Reaction score
I live in Southern California and work in a business causal office. I wear a suit about 2-3 times a month for client meetings and another 5-6 times a year for personal events.

I'm thinking of buying a Burberry Trench Coat after they came up with the new fit (https://us.burberry.com/the-chelsea-mid-length-heritage-trench-coat-p40108161). I'm writing this post to primarily ask you guys what you think of the purchase?

I have a 38R chest, 28 waist, and am 6'0". I tried it on at the Burberry store and I think after a little alteration, it'll fit perfectly.

My plan is to wear it casually when I go out and to wear it to the office (only when I arrive and when I leave).

I have a light olive skin tone with black hair and am considering getting the Honey color trench.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in Southern California and work in a business causal office. I wear a suit about 2-3 times a month for client meetings and another 5-6 times a year for personal events.

I'm thinking of buying a Burberry Trench Coat after they came up with the new fit (https://us.burberry.com/the-chelsea-mid-length-heritage-trench-coat-p40108161). I'm writing this post to primarily ask you guys what you think of the purchase?

I have a 38R chest, 28 waist, and am 6'0". I tried it on at the Burberry store and I think after a little alteration, it'll fit perfectly.

My plan is to wear it casually when I go out and to wear it to the office (only when I arrive and when I leave).

I have a light olive skin tone with black hair and am considering getting the Honey color trench.

Two things: one, a trench coat is fine for SoCal. If Philip Marlowe could wear one, so can you. Two, though, don't wear that one. Above-the-knee trench coats just look stupid. Get a proper length one, that comes below your knee.

brycelarkin

Reaction score
Two things: one, a trench coat is fine for SoCal. If Philip Marlowe could wear one, so can you. Two, though, don't wear that one. Above-the-knee trench coats just look stupid. Get a proper length one, that comes below your knee.
I've never actually considered the long coat length since I'm fairly young (mid-20s), but I'll check it out next time I visit.

Thanks for the reply.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never actually considered the long coat length since I'm fairly young (mid-20s), but I'll check it out next time I visit.

Thanks for the reply.

What does being in your mid-twenties have to do with it?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Above-the-knee trench coats just look stupid.

They're more like trench jackets - a type of garment in search of a reason for existing. Like the goose down-stuffed seersucker suit. :)

Also, the trench "coat" in question looks somewhat feminine to me, although the model and the pose probably exaggerate this. Still, not to my taste, although to each his own, eh?

That its MSRP is $1795 just makes the whole thing all the more laughable. Were it an item on sale for $39 at Old Navy, it'd still strike me as a mistake, but there are just so many coats so much more appealing to me in the $1000-2000 price range (or even the $200-500 price range) that I find it difficult to fathom why anyone would buy this one.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think fifteen years ago, short trenches were supposed to look more modern (read: younger and trendier). Which is what I assume the OP meant when he stated his age. For some guys, more classically designed clothes look fusty.

I just think the look is a bit dated, and the slim, short trend is on its way out now. That, coupled with the fact that it rains maybe for two hours per year in Southern California, it sounds like the OP would wear the coat five times before wanting something different. Maybe not that big of a deal for a $100 purchase, but probably an issue for something that costs $1700.

OP, I think you might want to try something at least mid-calf. It's not only more practical, it also gives a more dramatic look. Plus, it'll feel a little more appropriate with a suit jacket, whereas those short trenches only really seem right with casualwear.

If you want something shorter, you could try a single breasted mac. I still think those look better when they come at least to you knees, but compared to trenches, they look less jarring mid-thigh. Especially on a guy your height.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads