Trench Coat options

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TauKappaEpsilon, May 9, 2012.

1. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

I know there are several threads on this already, but I haven't really been able to find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to buy a trench coat sometime this summer and I really like the Burberry Gabradine coat because its not to long, its thick, which means I could wear it for outwear as well as rain, and I really like the DB belted design. My problem is, being only 20 years old and having a job in the summers, I dont know if I want to spend $1200 on it. I was wondering if any of you could recommend some other trenches that are made from a heavier material, are DB with a belt, and (oddly enough) I need it to have a very strong collar that wont flop around in the wind.

Thanks a lot SF.

2. AndyMG

AndyMG Senior member

In the UK, Burberry have shops at several retail outlet villages. They sell the trench coats at a large discount (40 50%). I don't know if you have anything similar where you are?

3. TauKappaEpsilon

I actually ended up finding a good sale at Bloomingdales and bought the jacket today. I got a Burberry cotton gabardine 3/4 length trench.

[​IMG]
    Shoulder fit perfectly, however, the waist and sleeves are a bit big. I'm going to bring it to the tailor on Saturday.

4. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

This length on you makes you look like a woman. Return it and buy a proper length one just below the knees.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  5. Ivon

Ivon Senior member

Ouch. Didn't mince your words MoL. I agree with you on length, the classic Burberry trench has been around for a century and really hasn't changed much in all that time. I do see short trenches on about every other young woman in the financial district these days, MoL speaks the truth. Get a classic one and it will probably last you decades. I recently got one for a song on the B/S, I'm kinda thinking it nay outlast me.

6. greger

greger Senior member

Not set in stone because clothes are ever changing as wants and preceptions change. If you were right would we be wearing clothes like Mose? Or, tighes and a code piece? Or, maybe, those pleated shorts? Or, those flowers, butterflies, etc. ? Do we really want to get traped in the past?

7. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Not every man can pull off this length of trench. Before price comes fit.
    Does this trench length compliment this particular young man? I don't believe it does. Somehow it hangs off him in an unflattering way.
    Perhaps leaving the belt undone and tucking the belt ends into the pockets will be a quick fix and give him a better line.
    Also, for everyday wearing the collar should stay down unless it is actually needed (wind, rain, etc).

8. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Agreed.

9. TauKappaEpsilon

I agree its a little big. The shoulders fit so I bought this size, all the has to be done now is the sides need to be taken in pretty dramatically.

About the "classic" trench. Although the "classic" trench is a full length trench Burberry to "modernizing" their trenches and going for a new look. Slimmer, and cropped. If you look on their website, you'll see that the majority of their mens trenches are now shorter (just a few inches about the knee).

I will update this when I have it tailored. I'm sure it will look great.

10. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

That is true, but it does not mean that it looks good on you. I cannot put my finger on the reason why, but MOL is right, this looks very feminine on you. Maybe a single breasted trench coat without the belt would look better on you if you insist on getting something cut above the knees.

11. sliq

sliq Senior member

agreed with the above comments. undo the belt, because as is, it gives you too much of an hourglass figure.

12. TauKappaEpsilon

In my opinion, the part under the belt sort of puffs out like a dress. That'll be fixed very shortly. Also, remember that I was wearing a Tshirt and chinos so with a blazer and tie it'll fit slightly better.

13. connor09

connor09 Senior member

I do agree on the length, it will look nice on woman not a real man.

14. TauKappaEpsilon

How does it look now?

[​IMG]

I know you all think it is too short, however, keep in mind that I purposely bought a cropped coat so I can wear it as outwear also. Disregarding the length, does it seem to fit better now? Thanks for your cooperation SF.

15. TauKappaEpsilon