• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trench Coat options

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
I know there are several threads on this already, but I haven't really been able to find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to buy a trench coat sometime this summer and I really like the Burberry Gabradine coat because its not to long, its thick, which means I could wear it for outwear as well as rain, and I really like the DB belted design. My problem is, being only 20 years old and having a job in the summers, I dont know if I want to spend $1200 on it. I was wondering if any of you could recommend some other trenches that are made from a heavier material, are DB with a belt, and (oddly enough) I need it to have a very strong collar that wont flop around in the wind.

Thanks a lot SF.

AndyMG

Reaction score
In the UK, Burberry have shops at several retail outlet villages. They sell the trench coats at a large discount (40 50%). I don't know if you have anything similar where you are?

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
I actually ended up finding a good sale at Bloomingdales and bought the jacket today. I got a Burberry cotton gabardine 3/4 length trench.

Shoulder fit perfectly, however, the waist and sleeves are a bit big. I'm going to bring it to the tailor on Saturday.

Ivon

Reaction score
Ouch. Didn't mince your words MoL. I agree with you on length, the classic Burberry trench has been around for a century and really hasn't changed much in all that time. I do see short trenches on about every other young woman in the financial district these days, MoL speaks the truth. Get a classic one and it will probably last you decades. I recently got one for a song on the B/S, I'm kinda thinking it nay outlast me.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This length on you makes you look like a woman. Return it and buy a proper length one just below the knees.

Not set in stone because clothes are ever changing as wants and preceptions change. If you were right would we be wearing clothes like Mose? Or, tighes and a code piece? Or, maybe, those pleated shorts? Or, those flowers, butterflies, etc. ? Do we really want to get traped in the past?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This length on you makes you look like a woman. Return it and buy a proper length one just below the knees.

Not set in stone because clothes are ever changing as wants and preceptions change. If you were right would we be wearing clothes like Mose? Or, tighes and a code piece? Or, maybe, those pleated shorts? Or, those flowers, butterflies, etc. ? Do we really want to get traped in the past?

Not every man can pull off this length of trench. Before price comes fit.
Does this trench length compliment this particular young man? I don't believe it does. Somehow it hangs off him in an unflattering way.
Perhaps leaving the belt undone and tucking the belt ends into the pockets will be a quick fix and give him a better line.
Also, for everyday wearing the collar should stay down unless it is actually needed (wind, rain, etc).

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
I agree its a little big. The shoulders fit so I bought this size, all the has to be done now is the sides need to be taken in pretty dramatically.

About the "classic" trench. Although the "classic" trench is a full length trench Burberry to "modernizing" their trenches and going for a new look. Slimmer, and cropped. If you look on their website, you'll see that the majority of their mens trenches are now shorter (just a few inches about the knee).

I will update this when I have it tailored. I'm sure it will look great.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About the "classic" trench. Although the "classic" trench is a full length trench Burberry to "modernizing" their trenches and going for a new look. Slimmer, and cropped. If you look on their website, you'll see that the majority of their mens trenches are now shorter (just a few inches about the knee).

That is true, but it does not mean that it looks good on you. I cannot put my finger on the reason why, but MOL is right, this looks very feminine on you. Maybe a single breasted trench coat without the belt would look better on you if you insist on getting something cut above the knees.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
agreed with the above comments. undo the belt, because as is, it gives you too much of an hourglass figure.

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
In my opinion, the part under the belt sort of puffs out like a dress. That'll be fixed very shortly. Also, remember that I was wearing a Tshirt and chinos so with a blazer and tie it'll fit slightly better.

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I do agree on the length, it will look nice on woman not a real man.

TauKappaEpsilon

Reaction score
How does it look now?

I know you all think it is too short, however, keep in mind that I purposely bought a cropped coat so I can wear it as outwear also. Disregarding the length, does it seem to fit better now? Thanks for your cooperation SF.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads