Trench Coat Length

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ebmk3891, Mar 9, 2011.

1. ebmk3891

ebmk3891 Senior member

An auction is ending soon and I don't have time to measure. I'm 5'10" and the trench coat is 44" long. Is that too long for someone of my height? A lot of articles say it should hit right below the knees, but none of them indicated measurements based on height. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

2. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

48 inch belted raincoat on 5'10" frame. This is for staying dry, though I also favor the style.

[​IMG]

3. Marcellionheart

Marcellionheart Senior member

An auction is ending soon and I don't have time to measure. I'm 5'10" and the trench coat is 44" long. Is that too long for someone of my height? A lot of articles say it should hit right below the knees, but none of them indicated measurements based on height. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

That is proper trench coat length for your height. It will be full length and will hit slightly above the middle of your calf.

4. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

measure from your neck bone. thats the one that projects from the base of the back of your neck.
    down to a point at the middle of your calf muscle. or if you like a couple of inches shorter than that.

5. Spark

Spark Senior member

44" will be fine for you.

I'm just a bit taller (6') and prefer a longer - 47/48" - coat, but they are tough to find. Traditionally, these coast were longer for protection against the elements.

Oldog's Mac above is a classic length for a real raincoat. I just scored a great 46" long one off of B&S