1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Trench Coat for College Student?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by KA1555, Mar 29, 2009.

1. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

slim cut trench coats seem young and trendy. i used to wear one over my shirt and tie.

unless, you're trying to be mistaken for a detective and wear a huge one over your suit and 'everyday' shoes.

2. JibranK

JibranK Senior member

Why would a college student need a $1,400.00 anything is beyond me.

Buy the least expensive Mackintosh-type coat.
    Tie it to the bumper of the car, and drive one block or two.
    Wash in washing machine
    Hang Dry.

You are young, so you should be able to easily pull off almost anything.

Spending $$$$ serves no purpose at your age.
    And the coat will probably get stolen if it's expensive.

Save your money ...or your parents money.
    In fact,
    why not buy used?

Ohhh I am going to have nightmares tonight....
    A young student in a $1,400.00 trench...spilling mustard or beer on the thing.
    It's going to happen....oh the humanity. [​IMG]

Hear hear. And the ridiculously expensive things he's looking at are not even such as would become wardrobe staples. They'll be tossed aside once this effeminite trench fashion has passed.

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Hear hear. And the ridiculously expensive things he's looking at are not even such as would become wardrobe staples. They'll be tossed aside once this effeminite trench fashion has passed.

He apparently doesn't like the same kind of clothes as you, why do you insist on fitting his taste within the small range of yours. This isn't a normalization forum, well hopefully.

4. KA1555

KA1555 Senior member

For the record, I said I was willing to spend UP to $1400, not that I necessarily desired to spend that much. That said, if I were to spend that much, I fail to see why it would concern some of you so much.

As for J.Crew coats, in the past they have always been far too long for me, and thus go against the very look/style that I'm searching for in a trench coat. Perhaps their trench coats this season are different, and in that case I'll give them a look, but that is why I ruled them out initially.

5. Cas Ruffin

Cas Ruffin Senior member

I actually bought it at Jeremy's, who was having their monthly sale. I guess it was one of those once-in-a-blue-moon purchases. But I suggest looking for those sales rather than dropping a G on a trench coat.

6. Nexus6

Nexus6 Senior member

For the record, I said I was willing to spend UP to $1400, not that I necessarily desired to spend that much. That said, if I were to spend that much, I fail to see why it would concern some of you so much. As for J.Crew coats, in the past they have always been far too long for me, and thus go against the very look/style that I'm searching for in a trench coat. Perhaps their trench coats this season are different, and in that case I'll give them a look, but that is why I ruled them out initially.
    Sorry if you took any offence to my words, I meant no dis-respect. Too many years in engineering for me, and I always think of what could go wrong first. That thinking was indoctrinated into me many mountains ago. I am sure that you are worthy, and I can see by the way you type, that you are building for the future; that this isn't just a whim. If my opinion would matter in the least, I would avoid the short style that is currently trendy. I concur with others who have stated that the shorter coats, are bordering on womenswear. I would opt for a more traditional length just above / at, or just below the knee. I have a Burberry raincoat that comes half way to the knee, and I am only 'so-so' about it....but I am an old soul..trying to avoid fartdome, and go with trend lengths. Sorry I digressed. I wish you well on your selection.