Trench Coat for College Student?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by KA1555, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Style Pontifex

Style Pontifex Senior member

But you also don't want to look like a girl. There is a fine line.

Huh?

2. SwedishFish

SwedishFish Senior member

Short trenches on guys run the risk of looking feminine. Esp. if they're white or black, imo.

3. Style Pontifex

Style Pontifex Senior member

Short trenches on guys run the risk of looking feminine. Esp. if they're white or black, imo.

Oh. Not sure I've noticed women wearing short trenches.

4. JibranK

JibranK Senior member

You're looking at a lot of stuff that is very expensive, yet not worth it. Do you have a lot of money to throw in the toilet or something?

The Burberry is decent. Check out Aquascutum as well.

5. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I note that in this thread there seems to be some uncertainty that a trench coat is unsuitable for a college student. I got my first trench coat in prep school, and as I recall, it saw me through my undergraduate years, my stint as a Senior Student at Oxford and graduate school. I never felt inappropriately attired. Admittedly, that was a lo-o-ong time ago. I tend to buy a new raincoat or trenchcoat every 15 years. I bought my present one in 1997. At the time I joked that if I have a long life it will have been penultimate trench coat, otherwise, my last one....

6. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

7. JibranK

JibranK Senior member

I note that in this thread there seems to be some uncertainty that a trench coat is unsuitable for a college student. I got my first trench coat in prep school, and as I recall, it saw me through my undergraduate years, my stint as a Senior Student at Oxford and graduate school. I never felt inappropriately attired. Admittedly, that was a lo-o-ong time ago. I tend to buy a new raincoat or trenchcoat every 15 years. I bought my present one in 1997. At the time I joked that if I have a long life it will have been penultimate trench coat, otherwise, my last one....
    I don't think it's unsuitable at all. I shall be starting my undergraduate MA this autumn and my father has offered me his nicely worn Burberry's trench, but I shall be studying in Edinburgh which gets relatively little rain. In my case, it is a question of utility. In the case of the OP, it seems like he would like to throw money away, and is looking for a way in which to do so.

8. Lowndes

Lowndes Senior member

9. anon

anon Senior member

I don't think it's unsuitable at all. I shall be starting my undergraduate MA this autumn and my father has offered me his nicely worn Burberry's trench, but I shall be studying in Edinburgh which gets relatively little rain. In my case, it is a question of utility. In the case of the OP, it seems like he would like to throw money away, and is looking for a way in which to do so.
    I didn't say a trench would be unsuitable, I said I have never seen a student wear a trench, and I work in academia. Maybe it's just not fashionable where I'm from.

10. ysc

ysc Senior member

but I shall be studying in Edinburgh which gets relatively little rain.
    You are joking here right? If you are talking Edinburgh Scotland it rains a lot.

11. JibranK

JibranK Senior member

You are joking here right? If you are talking Edinburgh Scotland it rains a lot.
    Which other Edinburgh is there? It rains relatively little; I think my Barbour will suffice. If I was in Glasgow, I'd probably take the trench.

12. bonobono_k

bonobono_k Senior member

how do you looking for trech coat in J crew?

13. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have one that might interest you...PM me if you'd like.

14. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

that dude is all over the place. I noticed something similar the other day, however, it was with suits. He was the model for some really cheap suits as well as the BB's.

I saw him in a Kohls catalog donning Chaps and Apartment 9 suits...

Don't ask why I was looking in a Kohls catalog...[​IMG]

15. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Maybe it's the vacant, sunken-eyed stare; but this fellow looks like the "Shotguns in Sociology" type. I'd avoid a dark coloured trench, unless the rest of your wardrobe tends to be particularly bright.

Besides, who buckles a trench coat belt? [​IMG]

I disagree. Dark trenches are perfectly fine, even if one's wardrobe isn't particularly bright. I know mine isn't. It just takes a little more skill to pull off darker fits.