1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Treme

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Jekyll, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

starts tonight bitches

2. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

looking forward to it. hopefully it won't make me want to jump in the car and book it to NO tonight.

3. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

Really enjoyed the premiere episode. Lyrical, terrific cinematography, great dialogue and fine character development. It truly evokes a sense of place. I really enjoyed the cast - musician Kermit Ruffins, Khandi Alexander (in a role far removed from her role in CSI Miami), Steve Zahn (as an alternative radio DJ obsessed with local music) and John Goodman (in his best role outside the Coen brothers' films, as an impassioned professor). No real "plot", but several meandering storylines - this is perfectly suited to the subject matter.

Plus, the appearance of the Rebirth Brass Band is a special treat.

4. grundletaint

and it's already been picked up for 2nd season after only the first epi. now THAT'S how to make it in america, folks.

5. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

jazz=kunk's not watching

watched the premiere, nonplussed. don't care about any of the characters

6. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

The Steve Zahn character is based on / inspired by my old friend Davis Rogan, musician, DJ, and raconteur extraordinaire.

7. Mr. Macaque

Mr. Macaque Senior member

Anyone warm up to the show after the second episode?

8. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I love it so far. Good stories interesting people, though I haven't found a really engaging character yet.

9. Mr. Macaque

Mr. Macaque Senior member

The world of New Orleans jazz is totally alien to me, but fascinating. I would otherwise have never known what a Second Line is. And I love seeing real musicians like Kermit Ruffins, Donald Harrison, Lucia Micarelli performing on the screen.

10. gdc_2008

gdc_2008 Senior member

Has caused a major Dr John and Toussaint kick recently...love the show.

11. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

Has caused a major Dr John and Toussaint kick recently...love the show.

Same here.

12. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Anyone warm up to the show after the second episode?

Yes, I did, the pace picked up. It's helped that I was in New Orleans last weekend.

13. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

Yes, I did, the pace picked up. It's helped that I was in New Orleans last weekend.

Lucky man, Monty.

14. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Lucky man, Monty.

I was a week too early for the jazz festival[​IMG] Although there where no special events in town that day, the French Quarter was jammed pack and jamming that night[​IMG]

15. RSN125

RSN125 Senior member

I am surprised by the lack of enthusiasm about Treme on this forum. If you have not seen the show, its worthwhile to. Wonderful character development, a true insight into N.O. post-Katrina, and a great background theme of music.

16. grundletaint

like it, but really tired of the lady and her jailed brother storyline. really, really tired of hipster street musician, too.

need moar chef hottie and antoine. davis rules.

17. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I don't have HBO so am waiting to watch a few episodes at a friend's place via on-demand. That's probably the best, right? I found watching one hour of The Wire at a time to be somewhat frustrating.

18. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

like it, but really tired of the lady and her jailed brother storyline. really, really tired of hipster street musician, too.

need moar chef hottie and antoine. davis rules.

+1 I thought it was just me. The missing jailed brother and the street musicisn get way too much air time[​IMG] I still like the show is good.

19. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

Sunday's episode was an entertaining cameo-fest: Roy Blount, Jr. (congratulating John Goodman's "Creighton Bernette" character on his YouTube rant chefs Wylie Dufresne, David Chang, Eric Ripert and Tom Colicchio; musicians Kermit Ruffins, Steve Earle and Rebirth Brass Band; David Morse (as the cop who met with Melissa Leo's "Toni Bernette" character) and Tim Reid (as the judge; he also created and starred in Frank's Place, a woefully underappreciated 1980s series that was set in New Orleans; and Davis Rogan (the real-life inspiration for Steve Zahn's "Davis McAlary" character).

20. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Great show... makes me need a trip to Nola BAD. Too bad I miss Jazz Fest every year b/c I am addicted to Derby. Where are my priorities?