• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Treadmill a waste?

adversity04

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
- you run often (or not) and running on asphalt has taken a toll on your knees and lower back

If you learn to run properly you won't have such problems...stop landing on your heels.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reason that treadmills are left unused is that people who buy them don't want to exercise. If you want to exercise, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll also find a way, no matter what's sitting in your TV room.

Also, for those who advocate having them in front of the TV - try living with real people.

warlok1965

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would never buy a treadmill, but I use the hell out of the ones at the gym. I got tired of road running.

-Roads are tough on joints, please don't give me that bullshit about proper form. I've been running for many years.

-You can use it as part of a much more complete workout. Doing one thing over and over is not as effective unless you are training for a race. Try doing a bunch of supersets with lighter weights and throwing in a fast run on the 'mill at the end of your workout. Mix it up with bike, stairs, etc.

-Gyms are much more social than home exercise rooms which helps combat exercise burnout.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Umm...it's been below freezing here for a couple of weeks now. Hurray for the treadmill!

velobran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
I absolutely love biking A1A near the beach though on the weekends. I can easily make a whole day of it.

Originally Posted by imageWIS
+1

+ 2

Nice to see another south floridian here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warlok1965
I would never buy a treadmill, but I use the hell out of the ones at the gym. I got tired of road running.

-Roads are tough on joints, please don't give me that bullshit about proper form. I've been running for many years.

-You can use it as part of a much more complete workout. Doing one thing over and over is not as effective unless you are training for a race. Try doing a bunch of supersets with lighter weights and throwing in a fast run on the 'mill at the end of your workout. Mix it up with bike, stairs, etc.

-Gyms are much more social than home exercise rooms which helps combat exercise burnout.

I am in a similar situation. I have a limited amount of time to get a full workout in, and using the treadmill in the gym is just a more efficient use of my time. For years, I did roadwork - long runs, intervals, the gamut, as well as track sprints. Then I would go to the gym and do weights, circuit routines, or something else. However, the whole thing, including changing and showers, would take over 2 hours. I just can't afford that anymore. Doing primarily sprints in the treadmill, I can get a lot of cardio and power in within 1/2 hour, and then do 30-45 minutes of weights/resistance, depending on the day, and some heavybag and pad work on the weekends. Including the shower, I am typically out in 1.5 hours, which is doable.

I am sure that if I had a complete home gym, I would not slack. I like to exercise alone in any case (I try to time my workouts for when the minimal number of people are at the gym) so I would not miss the "social" aspect of the gym very much. The only thing I miss are sparring partners and partners do do pad work with, but that is life.

So, back on topic: a treadmill is not a waste if you are going to use it. Whether you will or not, you have to answer yourself truthfully.

zshaver

Reaction score
While not condusive to competitive running, I love plugging my laptop into the bigscreen beside my treadmill and using the playlists I've made on mtv.com. I find that this is the best way to keep up my intensity and there's about a quarter of the commercials of normal music channels.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I have to be actually going some place when I run. Treadmills don't work for me.

I use my car to get places.

I do think running on a treadmill is boring as hell since you don't get changing scenery (unless watching ugly girls get on and off the elliptical machines in front of you counts as changing scenery). Glad I got my IPOD.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
(unless watching ugly girls get on and off the elliptical machines in front of you counts as changing scenery)

Well, that would depend on where your gym is, wouldn't it? There's no better scenery than a fine piece of university ass, or two, or five, to keep you focus.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Well, that would depend on where your gym is, wouldn't it? There's no better scenery than a fine piece of university ass, or two, or five, to keep you focus.

http://styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=54035 ??
laugh.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

velobran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
The 3 of us should go biking sometime
smile.gif

That sounds really gay. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Just don't mistake my eurotrash cycling apparel for my day-to-day wear
confused.gif

Do you guys ride in the MS150 to Key Largo?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads