• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travelng to Chicago for first time from New Orleans..What are some places to go,visit, bars,clubs?!

gerb

Reaction score
Hello Mates,
So I'm going to Chicago for my first time next week.
It's a friday-monday trip
I got a wedding I'm attentding on friday but after that I'm free to do whatever.

So I'm just wondering, what are some food places I should hit up? I plan to hit up a steak house, don't know which one though, I'd like to keep it under $!00 per person for nice steak.
Also what is a street food I must have?
I'm from New Orleans, so I'm used to some Goood hole in the wall places with great atmosphere and good prices.

I'm planning to visit Chinatown with my buddies, also heard there's a nice Museum and Aquarium so I'd like to check that out.

I like to drink so what's some good bars/pubs I should be on the lookout for?

Another question....are there any stores I should check out that carry some good Denim brands?
Unfortunately nola doesn't have much, so when it comes time to purchase some good jeans I always have to order online.
Looking for like naked&famous,nudie, etc type

Any input will be highly appreciated!

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm looking for the same info, not interested in bars and Chinatown though - I am just looking for a couple decent dinners (maybe one should be a late night place since I want to go to the Bulls game on Tuesday) I've been to Chicago before a few times, but only saw douchebaggery and so my impression of Chicago is not good - I'd like to see something and maybe eat a meal where I find peace with Chicago.

where is that place with the plexiglass floor where everybody takes a pic of their shoes? Anything else fun to see?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
bristol and osteria via stato were my favorites

if i had money and time and luck i'd hit up blackbird, alinea, tru, and schwa.

i think youre talking about here

http://www.theskydeck.com/

if not that place is also cool

i'm sure the chicagoans (kwilk, tooch, chicagoron) and iammatt and friends can chime in

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

bristol and osteria via stato were my favorites
if i had money and time and luck i'd hit up blackbird, alinea, tru, and schwa.
i think youre talking about here
http://www.theskydeck.com/
if not that place is also cool
i'm sure the chicagoans (kwilk, tooch, chicagoron) and iammatt and friends can chime in

I like both of those restaurants (though I wouldn't go to the osteria for a special occasion).

The place with the glass floor is indeed the skydeck on top of the sears tower (well...willis tower)--I suppose its kind of cool but the hancock building has a better view. Also with the hancock building you can just go buy a drink at the bar on top and look out the windows instead of paying $20 to hang out in the tourist pen.

And the art institute does have a way of making you wonder if there is any good french impressionist work left in france (let me know if you want to go in there...I work across the street and could toss you my membership card for 2 entries)

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How old are you guys??

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
thanks dudes. Did a few reservations this morning so I have a few things covered and now I need to fill in the blanks; staying at the Dana so above the river but looks like a lot is close;

Tuesday: get to town, go to Bulls game, go back to hotel afterwards and park the car
after: ??? - maybe a bar for some bites and drinks nearby? (recommendation?)

Wednesday: art museum for sure, and then I booked Tru for dinner.
At night I think I will go up to one of the bars with a view, I think I've been to the bar at the top of the Hancock building. I didn't really like the clientele in there but I would go up for the view.

Maybes:

Millenium Park, maybe a stop at the Gage?

Can I do most of my Wednesday and leave my car parked at the hotel?

We might get Lou Malnatis or Hot Dougs, something kinda ridiculous for a bite on the way out on Thursday or something.

Anything else to see? I remember getting drunk and walking south one night and getting these awesome tacos in Chicago, but this was many years ago and I can't remember where or what, I think it was on the South side. Are there any legit taquerias in a 'safe' area?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

thanks dudes. Did a few reservations this morning so I have a few things covered and now I need to fill in the blanks; staying at the Dana so above the river but looks like a lot is close;

Tuesday: get to town, go to Bulls game, go back to hotel afterwards and park the car
after: ??? - maybe a bar for some bites and drinks nearby? (recommendation?)

Wednesday: art museum for sure, and then I booked Tru for dinner.
At night I think I will go up to one of the bars with a view, I think I've been to the bar at the top of the Hancock building. I didn't really like the clientele in there but I would go up for the view.

Maybes:

Millenium Park, maybe a stop at the Gage?

Can I do most of my Wednesday and leave my car parked at the hotel?

We might get Lou Malnatis or Hot Dougs, something kinda ridiculous for a bite on the way out on Thursday or something.

Anything else to see? I remember getting drunk and walking south one night and getting these awesome tacos in Chicago, but this was many years ago and I can't remember where or what, I think it was on the South side. Are there any legit taquerias in a 'safe' area?

If you are out of the Bulls game by 10, head to Publican. If not, go to the Publican Thursday afternoon They are dinner only but have an afternoon menu.
If it's after 10 go to Avec, kitchen is open till midnight. Violet Hour on Damen is another place for drinks. Small plates, no dinner. Considering the time you go, skip Publican and head to Avec.

Henri is next to The Gage and GDL recommends it, I haven't been. Same owners as Gage.

HB Home Bistro or Goosefoot are good options for a local Chicago vibe.

XOCO is Rick Bayless street food. Morning breakfast, nothing really special, then Tortas, salads start at 11 and soups start at 3PM.

Would consider Kuma's Corner for a burger over Hot Doug's. I feel gross after eating at hot Doug's

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks. I think the Bulls game might go late since tipoff is at 8:30 this time. I figure we might not get to a place for food or drink til 11:30 so I might introduce my wife to the world of stadium food and we'll go from there. I'll keep both in mind as I've heard you guys talking about them, never thought I'd be in the position to go before. Hm.

Of the Rick Bayless empire, which is which? I think we can hit that express version of Frontera on the way out of the country because we have a layover at O'Hare on Sunday for a little bit. Might put Bayless on the backburner til then, considering. I'd really like to take my wife to a gritty authentic taqueria if possible, as long as it doesn't mean going someplace too dodgy. We are lacking in that kind of stuff in Tokyo so this trip was meant to be stuff like that, the only in America kind of low-end that just doesn't exist overseas, rather than chasing down Michelin stars or the various permutations of surf n turf chophouses, upscale bars (forgot to bring my stripey shirts, v neck sweaters, and square toe loafers) etc.

Is Apartment no 9 in Wicker Park still open? I got two pairs of Margiela sneakers there for like $175 each once, halfway through the season. Not really looking for shopping expressly, but if deals were abounding I might stock up on staples.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apt no 9 is open, it's in Bucktown on Damen. Open 11 to 7.

RE: Bayless, Topolobompo is white table cloth, fine dining, Frontera Grill is his version of everyday mexican. He refers to XOCO as street food. Mostly Tortas and soups. they make the best cookies.
You can sometimes get into Topo, Frontera not so easy so it's best to go to the bar side and grab a table when available or an opening at the bar. Get to XOCO at 11 or after 2:30 or before 6 to avoid long waits. All his menus are online and some recipes on his website. You can get a few of the same tortas from XOCO at O'Hare. Best bet for decent food at the airport.

Avec is the place to go after the Bulls game, open until midnight but I would confirm. Hate it when places close early if they aren't busy.

Longman and Eagle is a bar with decent food, open until 2AM

Best Budz

Reaction score
Cemitas Puebla is a good mexican joint. Not in a very good neighborhood though (Humboldt Park) and not open super late

http://www.cemitaspuebla.com/

Birreria Reyes de Ocotalan in Pilsen is also one of my favorite mexican joints. again, i dont think it's open super-late.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Apt no 9 is open, it's in Bucktown on Damen. Open 11 to 7.
RE: Bayless, Topolobompo is white table cloth, fine dining, Frontera Grill is his version of everyday mexican. He refers to XOCO as street food. Mostly Tortas and soups. they make the best cookies.
You can sometimes get into Topo, Frontera not so easy so it's best to go to the bar side and grab a table when available or an opening at the bar. Get to XOCO at 11 or after 2:30 or before 6 to avoid long waits. All his menus are online and some recipes on his website. You can get a few of the same tortas from XOCO at O'Hare. Best bet for decent food at the airport.
Avec is the place to go after the Bulls game, open until midnight but I would confirm. Hate it when places close early if they aren't busy.
Longman and Eagle is a bar with decent food, open until 2AM

You can usually get reservations at topolobompo which is my favorite of the trio in that building. Frontera is tough...you used to be able to grab the bar-side tables when available which always meant a short wait for a group of 2 but they have stopped doing this and turned those tables into normal tables handled by the 2-hour waits. Only the bar itself is available as first come, first served. XOCO has some good soups and sandwiches but the real star there is getting an order of churros with their mexican soft serve.
The ohare place is probably not a bad substitute. I have now had their breakfast a few times (though never been there for lunch/dinner) and it is worth walking over from another terminal.

Pilsen is a safe enough area and home to lots of mexican. Unfortunately I haven't eaten anywhere there lately except for Nuevo Leon which is good but it sounds like you want more of a classic taqueria. There are a bunch in the neighborhood but I have no idea what's good.
There's also La Pasadita--I've heard lots of good things but never been. Its not in a very bad location but they have a goofy arrangement where there are 3 locations on the same block of Ashland. There are differences between the locations and I couldn't tell you which is which. I might suggest going here...but you'll have to ask someone else which of the 3 to go to (I think they vary from a taco-counter to a sit down place).

I often grab stuff from El Burrito Mexicano underneath the Addison redline stop which is pretty good....but not at all worth a trip unless you happen to already be by wrigley field

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw someone post a description of why there are 3 La Pasadita's on the same block:

"here is a clue on pasadita, at one you can buy brains and tongue, at another you can't, and the third is for northbound customers."

hikari013

Reaction score

Another question....are there any stores I should check out that carry some good Denim brands?
Unfortunately nola doesn't have much, so when it comes time to purchase some good jeans I always have to order online.
Looking for like naked&famous,nudie, etc type
Any input will be highly appreciated!

There's a store in Wicker Park on Milwaukee just a little north of Division called Mild Blend that stocks nudies, momotaro, etc. Might want to check it out for denim. Close to La Pasadita.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
yo, so I think I really like Chicago now. Turns out I realized I just didn't really like the company of who I came here with before. Chicago isn't so bad for me if the weather is alright. It's a little too cold today for my liking but I can deal. I just wish now that I had planned more than 30 hours here. I guess there is a next time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads