• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traveling with nice suits tomorrow - need a luggage solution

GQhustler

Reaction score
I thought a weekend bag would do the trick, but I sold myself short. I'm traveling tomorrow for about 4 days and will need to bring one suit, one SC, two pairs of pants, a few shirts and maybe a pair of shoes in addition to what I will wear on the plane. Everything will not fit into the weekend bag and even if it did, my suit and SC would get more wrinkled than I would be comfortable with.

Any suggestions for a carry-on sized piece of luggage that can fit all these items while not jeopardizing the integrity of my suit and SC? Maybe some kind garment bag? Will be flying out tomorrow, so a local place in NYC to buy what I need is critical.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQhustler
I thought a weekend bag would do the trick, but I sold myself short. I'm traveling tomorrow for about 4 days and will need to bring one suit, one SC, two pairs of pants, a few shirts and maybe a pair of shoes in addition to what I will wear on the plane. Everything will not fit into the weekend bag and even if it did, my suit and SC would get more wrinkled than I would be comfortable with.

Any suggestions for a carry-on sized piece of luggage that can fit all these items while not jeopardizing the integrity of my suit and SC? Maybe some kind garment bag? Will be flying out tomorrow, so a local place in NYC to buy what I need is critical.

When I travel with suits/sport coats, I use the the garment bag they came in from the store and carry them on the plane with me. Most planes have a place to hang your stuff right when you enter, just ask nicely
smile.gif
I've never had any issues with wrinkled clothes upon arrival. Also, I put my dress pants on the same hanger as the SC.

Hope this helps!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Garment bag.

Seymour

Reaction score
Not sure if this helps, but you'll comfortably fit all of those into your typical garment bag (though be prepared for aching shoulders if your gate is far from the exit). I have one from Briggs & Riley which I bought from STP a few years ago, and has served me admirably for up to week-long work trips. I take my suit jackets and shirts out of the garment bag upon arriving at the hotel, and run a steam to get out the wrinkles.

There's a decent luggage place on the UES along Lexington in the East 70s (used to live in NYC), but can't place it now.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Any decent 22" rollaboard will work for your purposes. I use and like Briggs & Riley, but Travelpro, Tumi, Costco's Kirkland, etc. are all good. See this for help in packing: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...pack-suit.html I also carry a bag like this. It takes my laptop and some files in one section together with running shoes and extra dress shoes in the more open, expandable section. Without shoes in the rollaboard, you can easily take a weeks worth of clothes. http://www.briggs-riley.com/category...e-Brief_KB402X

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Tumi Alpha has a rolling carry on garment bag that is the perfect size between a rolling overnighter and a full on garment bag. It will fir three suits. Shirts and maybe one extra pair of shoes.

mic

Reaction score
If you wear the SC on the plane it's one less thing to pack.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a small Briggs & Riley roll-on that has a garment, fold up and zipper feature. It is good for a suit or SC and slacks in addition to the rest of my smaller items. So wear the jacket and pack the suit.

I will take this along with a small carry-on bag to Europe for two weeks.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go with a 20-22" rolling suitcase plus as large a "personal item" as you can manage (Filson tote or medium weekend bag are great). Put jackets in dry-cleaning plastic covers, fold in half both length and width wise. Fold pants in plastic as well. IME they won't wrinkle anymore than if you had a proper garment bag, and you'll save on weight and space by forgoing the hangars (which will be provided at the hotel). Extra shoes in personal item. Should have plenty of room.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds a bit much for a carry-on, especially with space being so limited on account of people taking tons of shyt with them on the plane these days. I would invest in a nice hardshell garment piece and get in the habit of checking your luggage. It's much less stressful and your packed clothes will be ready to wear without a lot of touching up.

Elmo

Reaction score
when you arrive hang your suit. on a good hanger and hang in the bathroom. then steam it.the wrinkles come out.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get a garment bag.

I have 2 of them. One is a tri-fold that holds 2 suits, one is a standard fold-over that holds 4+.

When you get to your destination, run the shower and fill up the tub with hot water. Hang them in the steamy bathroom to get out any wrinkles.

This has worked for me for the past 2 decades of business travel. (I'm in a hotel right now)

Here's the smaller garment bag I use:

http://www.ghurka.com/product/shop/Travel/brand/PACKET_

The larger (an Atlas Lincoln in belting leather) is no longer in production.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Garment bag works fine - if you like carrying 2 bags (or 3 with a business case)

If you want to save space or bags, use the suiter folder that comes with most modern 22" rollers. As others have suggested, hang the suit up as soon as you get to the hotel.

More than once I have unpacked my suit, seen a significant wrinkle, and thought it might not come out by the next day. But it always unwrinkles fine. Use steam if you are worried.

There are other ways you can fold a suit jacket into a regular bag without a hanger or a suiter but you don't sound like the type to go to that trouble.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads