1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Traveling to tokyo:

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by imageWIS, Sep 13, 2004.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

I have been to Tokyo, and it is quite stunning.

I'm sure many board members are against Prada, Gucci, etc but be sure to check out their monolithic flagships designed by many well-known architects. The Prada store is especially pleasing.

There are various museums that have important European artworks like Modigliani, etc.

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Bah, I like Prada, Gucci, etc.. when it's at the right price.

3. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior Member

I lived in Kyoto for 2 years, Kyushu for 2, and Tokyo for 4. I am still here, and probably have gone as native as anyone I know.  Although  there are inconveniences, I've made peace with the place.

I think how much you will enjoy Japan, and Tokyo in particular, depends to a great extent on what you expect from it.

If you want "old 'Last Samurai' Japan," then you will probably be disappointed in Tokyo and modern Japan in general.  You *may* enjoy Kyoto or Himeiji, but even there, if your expectations are too high, you'll be disappointed.

If you want to see new high tech gadgets, an efficient and safe modern metropolis, or how things back home have been imported and adopted (Hey, they have KitKat candybars, but in pineaple flavor. Coca Cola makes cold canned coffee?), or, more and more these days, how things back home have been borrowed from Japan, you'll have a good time.

If you want to relax, enjoy the beach or skiing in pristine wilderness, I would recommend many other places before I recommended Japan. I would not recommend it to clothing shoppers on a budget, but I do enjoy browsing in high end shops in Ginza, Aoyama, and Shinjuku nearly every week.

Bic

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Bic, did you ever teach language in Japan? My Japanese teacher is telling me that it's sponsored by the Japanese gov't, and that it pays very well.

5. Carlo

Carlo Distinguished Member

They left out the coolest thing about Tokyo... I am TALL. there and can get rebounds....

6. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Tokyo is extraordinary. Go. If you are planning to go outside of Tokyo, get a rail-pass at a travel agent here in the U.S. before you go. You can get a pass for about $250 and ride the high speed trains all over Japan for a week. (it also works on JR subway lines, busses, and a ferry) Depending on where you are going, that can be many hundreds of dollars less expensive than buying the tickets there. JTBUSA has rail tickets and discount flights If you can afford it, the Shinjuku Park Hyatt is the way to go. It's an amazing hotel. Or, if you are on my budget, you can stay at City Hotel Lornstar It's about $77 a night and really close to the subway station. If that is still more than you want to spend, try Hotel New Koyo Its about $25 bucks a night for a room a little bigger than a bed, but I don't go to Tokyo to spend a lot of time lounging around in a hotel room. At $25 the ten minute walk to the subway station, shared restrooms (clean and plenty of them), and shower (clean and not that many of them), and its relative distance from the "night spots" is well worth it. Also, it will be a blessing to come back to your hotel after a long tourist day in Tokyo and be able to speak english to someone. Its probably literally the least expensive place in Tokyo to stay, so it attracts college students and budget travellers from all over. At any given point in time, about half the population of that hotel is from English speaking countries. Canada/Australia/Europe/US/ Etc. Also I would suggest that you take a good guide book. I know its a total tourist giveaway, but you always have an English subway map handy, plus things can be really hard to find if you don't have maps or very clear directions written by someone who ACTUALLY speaks english. Half the fun of Japan is getting lost, but when you are tired and want to go lay down - getting found quickly is also very nice. I reccomend Time Out Tokyo, but look through a bunch before you buy one. I'm going back in the spring. And I think J might be coming with... I'm so excited.

7. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

Just my two cents...

If I was a millionaire, I'd probably enjoy Tokyo much more than I did the couple of times I visited.  As someone who was desperately trying to connect with the "real" japan, I found Tokyo to be basically a japanified version of New York on crack cocaine.  My favorite city in all of Japan was by far Fukuoka, although I thorougly enjoyed the area around where my grandparents live, in Okayama and the surrounding cities like Kurashiki and Kochi (excellent tuna there, btw).

koji

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

Well, I'm hardly Larry Ellison when it comes to financial ability, but I do know how to how to spend money on life's little extras as long as the money is not truly wasted, which in it of itself is a relative term.

I have no problem spending money on a fine meal, or a fine hotel...as long as its not (to me) throwing money away. Plus, the upside is that as much as I enjoy purchasing items in various stores, I can never make up my mind and more often than not, I end up actually purchasing very little. For example, my recent trip to Manhattan only yielded 5 items purchased (and the most expensive was $290), hardly anything worth bragging about.

At least half my time will be spent at tourist attractions; Tokyo Tower, various museums and temples, etc...the rest will be shopping and eating.

Regarding the heat and humidity, Ligament...when is the last time you took a trip to South Florida?

I hit the jackpot. "As far as clothing, I hope you are either Asian or of a very small build otherwise. Most non Asians in Japan are far too big for the clothing stores." I am of almost average height (for America) but, have a slim, swimmers build and often have trouble finding clothes that fit me. So at least, that is a plus if I go to Tokyo, everything will fit me.

Jon.

9. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

Japan and much of East Asia are REALLY HOT in the summer. It seems that the sun is as strong as it is in the desert here but 90% humidity. I lived in Taiwan for 2 years and you really don't get used to the summers there, Japan is a little less humid but the sun is no less strong.

I personally think Tokyo is a fun city to visit and can be very fun if you know the right places to go, I had many tokyo residents take me to various underground places and it is definitely an amazing city, I still think it could be somewhat daunting to a tourist with no knowledge of Japanese.

10. imageWIS

Places such as (inquiring mind wants to learn)?

Jon.

11. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Stylish Dinosaur

I was involved in the automotive industry in my previous job and often went to some underground import car events. I have no idea where the locations for these events are and don't know how you would find out, but it was a ridiculous scene, immense amounts of money and much more upscale than the same market in the US.

12. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

Tokyo: House Shin-Okubo ["Okubo House"] $22.50 (2500 yen)/for a place to sleep and wash up. Eat noodles. Forget about using money to get through your days and begin to use your senses.

for what it's worth

13. imageWIS

Huh? Expand on that...

Jon.

14. johnapril

johnapril Distinguished Member

I spent 10 years backpacking through Asia, the Middle East and Europe. I spent my twenties doing it. I spent about $12 K doing it. Now I work and have a family and buy nice clothes from time to time. What being young meant to me was expanding my range of experiences while taking on only the material possessions that were necessary. In this pursuit, basic clothing, good hiking boots, something to write with, my senses, and my instinct were what I needed most.

15. imageWIS

I understand, but if you could have stayed at the Park Hyatt, you would have (especially since I'm only going for 5-7 days, tops).

Jon.