• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traveling to Rio de Janeiro

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heading to Rio in about 3 weeks. Going to be there for about a week, but not going there with any strict plan. This is on the to do list so far:

1) Ipanema & Copacabana beach
2) Christ the Redeemer
3) Sugar loaf
4) Handgliding
5) The forest/park
6) Botanical garden

One of my bosses recommend I check out Buzios about 2 hrs north, so I might do a weekend trip there.

Please recommend places to eat, drink, dance, etc. Thinking about couchsurfing for the most part, but please recommend hostels as well. If there are any other must do things in Rio, I'd love to hear!

Thanks!

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the ******** will try and trick you into believing their nutsack is a vag in a dark room. don;t fall for it.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
the ******** will try and trick you into believing their nutsack is a vag in a dark room. don;t fall for it.

Thanks. Will keep that in the back of my mind. Constantly.

Also, Buzios or Ilha Grande?

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
action is at Copacabana, but try to get accommodation at Ipanema side__ much safer. careful when picking up at the bar... you might've to foot bill after services rendered
sneaky2.gif
edit: when you do your bar rounds, there's an extra "entertainment" surcharge on live shows/performances.

Hobbs

Reaction score
Go to Cervantes restaurant near Copacabana beach for one of their legendary sandwiches - fillet steak, pineapple and foie gras + a glass of beer for ~$2.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by feynmix
Thanks. Will keep that in the back of my mind. Constantly.

Also, Buzios or Ilha Grande?

How old are you? Voce fala portuguese?

If you are young I would check out the clubs in Leblon. Popularity like clubs in New york, I assume changes all the time. If you speak portuguese you will have a blast. If you dont you will probably have a blast. Dont be shy. Brasileras expect you to be aggressive. Tongue down the throat within ten minutes of meeting is not at all out of the question.

I just realized this was a bit hetero centric. Big gay scene in Rio also. Posto 8 or maybe 9 in Ipanema. Thats where the "Barbies" hangout.

Ilha Grande is the new "cooler" spot. Buzios is nice. You can get a bus trip arranged through a travel agency and many B&B's are quite reasonable. With only one week it might not be worth it though.

I have a low opinion of Copa. Its seedy and there is a lot of petty crime and minor annoyances. Beach is broad and beautiful though. Dont wear nice shoes in Copa. You will literally have **** thrown on them and a helpful local will guide you to a shoe shine guy to clean them up for you for a very reasonable price.

I much prefer the beaches of Ipanema and Leblon and the adjacent communities.

See Cristo Redentor. Try to go on a clear day and you can see all of Rio. Just stunning. You can see the ancient cemetary, Maracana and baby Maracana stadiums , all the beaches and a lot of the Favelas from up there.

Never been to Pao de Azucar. Well, Ive shopped at the super market chain of that name but not the tourist attraction.

Handgliding is supposed to be amazing. You can look down on some of the wealthy enclaves that are hidden for the most part. Its amazing what some of the mega wealthy have in their backyards.

Jardim Botanico is also great if thats your thing. I love it there but people who are not into plants or parks might get bored. Cant really see all of it in a day.

Eating: Italian in the Jardim Botanico neighborhood - Quadrifoglio. Very nice.

Need to check out a Brazilian Churrascaria. I prefer Carretao over Porcao. Theres one in Copa and another in Ipanema rigt next to a bar called Shenanigans thats kind of an expatriot hangout of sorts. Its cheaper than Porcao and the meat is every bit as good in my opinion. It does have a smaller buffet. Make sure you go hungry when you try out Rodizio style dining. Pace yourself and dont be afraid to waive off waiters with there platers and skewers full of meat so you can catch your breath.

Try a Por Kilo place as well. This is essentially a big buffet where you are charged by the weight of your plate. I like the Siquiera Grill in Copa on Rua Siqueira Campos coincidently. The Copa Carretao is across the street.

Milano DOC is another favorite Italian/sea food place on Gomes Carneiro. This is on the cusp of Copa/Ipanema. I have an Apt. on this street just a few doors down.

Esplanada grill. is in Ipanema. very good. Very reasonable prices. Rua Barrao da Torre.

Though the name is stupid there is a chain of restaurants called Garota de ipanema (you know, like the song) Good traditional brazilian food and a pretty good price.

Dont know what your interests are or I would be more specific. I myself go down there to debauch myself but of course Im going straight to hell and you might not want to take that road. If you do, let me know.

Oh. If you can I would highly recomend seeing a soccer game at Maracana. Especially if its a really important one. Its a madhouse of crazed, frenetic energy. No sporting event in the US compares to the craziness.

em36

Reaction score
Mostly covered. Treat yourself to Gero Rio one night, owned by the Fasano restaranteur in SP, whose place may just have the best Italian in the Americas. There will not be many tourists.

feynmix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
How old are you? Voce fala portuguese?

If you are young I would check out the clubs in Leblon. Popularity like clubs in New york, I assume changes all the time. If you speak portuguese you will have a blast. If you dont you will probably have a blast. Dont be shy. Brasileras expect you to be aggressive. Tongue down the throat within ten minutes of meeting is not at all out of the question.

I just realized this was a bit hetero centric. Big gay scene in Rio also. Posto 8 or maybe 9 in Ipanema. Thats where the "Barbies" hangout.

Ilha Grande is the new "cooler" spot. Buzios is nice. You can get a bus trip arranged through a travel agency and many B&B's are quite reasonable. With only one week it might not be worth it though.

I have a low opinion of Copa. Its seedy and there is a lot of petty crime and minor annoyances. Beach is broad and beautiful though. Dont wear nice shoes in Copa. You will literally have **** thrown on them and a helpful local will guide you to a shoe shine guy to clean them up for you for a very reasonable price.

I much prefer the beaches of Ipanema and Leblon and the adjacent communities.

See Cristo Redentor. Try to go on a clear day and you can see all of Rio. Just stunning. You can see the ancient cemetary, Maracana and baby Maracana stadiums , all the beaches and a lot of the Favelas from up there.

Never been to Pao de Azucar. Well, Ive shopped at the super market chain of that name but not the tourist attraction.

Handgliding is supposed to be amazing. You can look down on some of the wealthy enclaves that are hidden for the most part. Its amazing what some of the mega wealthy have in their backyards.

Jardim Botanico is also great if thats your thing. I love it there but people who are not into plants or parks might get bored. Cant really see all of it in a day.

Eating: Italian in the Jardim Botanico neighborhood - Quadrifoglio. Very nice.

Need to check out a Brazilian Churrascaria. I prefer Carretao over Porcao. Theres one in Copa and another in Ipanema rigt next to a bar called Shenanigans thats kind of an expatriot hangout of sorts. Its cheaper than Porcao and the meat is every bit as good in my opinion. It does have a smaller buffet. Make sure you go hungry when you try out Rodizio style dining. Pace yourself and dont be afraid to waive off waiters with there platers and skewers full of meat so you can catch your breath.

Try a Por Kilo place as well. This is essentially a big buffet where you are charged by the weight of your plate. I like the Siquiera Grill in Copa on Rua Siqueira Campos coincidently. The Copa Carretao is across the street.

Milano DOC is another favorite Italian/sea food place on Gomes Carneiro. This is on the cusp of Copa/Ipanema. I have an Apt. on this street just a few doors down.

Esplanada grill. is in Ipanema. very good. Very reasonable prices. Rua Barrao da Torre.

Though the name is stupid there is a chain of restaurants called Garota de ipanema (you know, like the song) Good traditional brazilian food and a pretty good price.

Dont know what your interests are or I would be more specific. I myself go down there to debauch myself but of course Im going straight to hell and you might not want to take that road. If you do, let me know.

Oh. If you can I would highly recomend seeing a soccer game at Maracana. Especially if its a really important one. Its a madhouse of crazed, frenetic energy. No sporting event in the US compares to the craziness.

Thanks a lot for the info. I am 23. Any places you recommend to try some good caipirinhas?

em36

Reaction score
Everywhere you go will have this drink nailed.

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite Churrascaria is the Barra Grill in Barra de Tejuca, just a ways past where you would be hang-gliding. Barra has very nice beaches, and if you are staying at a hotel, they will generally send a car to pick you up and take you to the restaurant (talk to the concierge), but I'd head out (you can take a bus if you are adventurous or a taxi) and spend the day, and then stop for dinner on the way home.

Also, there is (or there was a few years ago) a good bar scene at Baixo Gavea across from the Joquei Clube. It's at Praça Santos Dumont, the intersection of Bartolmeu Mitre (which comes from Leblon), R. Jardim Botanico, and Marques de S. Vicente. You can take any bus that says via Joquei to get there, and if I remember correctly, Sunday and Monday are the nights it really draws a crowd.

Boa viagem!

Kookz

Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

PASstudy

Reaction score
headed there 1st week of October. Any updates on what to do/see/eat?
1308281826153.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads