• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traveling to Japan in April! Food, Sights, Shopping Recommendations Please!

jays978

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm going to be traveling to Tokyo for the first time in April! I'll be there for ten days. I will be staying in Shibuya-ku.

I'm a huge foodie and am super excited! Below are the line items of where I've researched/like to go but please feel free to add on!

In terms of food, I listed the items I know of and am hoping for recommendations on the best spots to go for said food. I am an adventurous and will eat anything, so please do recommend any that I've missed! I'm shooting for this to be a more food-centric trip but also would like to sneak in some shopping and sightseeing. No such thing as too many recommendations :)

Arigatou gozaimasu!!

Food
Sushi
Seafood
Ramen
Kobe beef
Okonmayaki
Kyoto cuisine
Takoyaki
Tepenyaki
Must-try sweets/snacks
Must try anything!

Brands I like/wear
RLBL
Uniqlo
Bape
Supreme
J Crew
Nike
Denim - Flat head and RJB are my favorite brands
Any local brand recommendations?

Sights
Meji Shrine
Tsukiji Fish Market
Yokohama - Ramen Museum - is it worth the trip (I love to eat ramen)?
Mt. Fuji
Harajuku
Bars? - Bar High Five - I'm a whisky lover

Last edited:

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most important tip--get pocket wifi. http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/

Search tabelog to get an idea of places that you might want to eat.

It should be baseball season when you're there. Highly recommended. Particularly the Swallows if they're playing at home.

jays978

Reaction score

Most important tip--get pocket wifi. http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/

Search tabelog to get an idea of places that you might want to eat.

It should be baseball season when you're there. Highly recommended. Particularly the Swallows if they're playing at home.

Thanks a lot! Will definitely do pocket WiFi.

I'm hoping to book one nice/Michelin restaurant for lunch. Any recommendations on this front?
I hear good things about Narisawa!

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Narisawa is unappealing to me, so I haven't been. I've not heard great things about it, and it seems like it could be anywhere. At 20,000 JPY pp you could get dinner somewhere like Seizan Mita, Okuda, Ishikawa, or Goryu Kubo.

For bars, definitely check out Bar Benfiddich in Shinjuku.

jays978

Reaction score

Narisawa is unappealing to me, so I haven't been. I've not heard great things about it, and it seems like it could be anywhere. At 20,000 JPY pp you could get dinner somewhere like Seizan Mita, Okuda, Ishikawa, or Goryu Kubo.

For bars, definitely check out Bar Benfiddich in Shinjuku.

Thanks a lot! That is a very good point that you bring up about Narisawa, that it does not look like a unique Japanese experience!

I booked a reservation with Yasuda.

How is Ishikawa? Their reservation system looks a bit confusing and it looks like it could only be done by telephone.

phoni

Reaction score
Planning a clubbing weekend in Osaka for April 15-16; if any Styleforum people are around, will gladly buy them a pint/shot or 5.

ryan123

Reaction score
Narisawa is decent for lunch as it's only 10,000 yen

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Planning a clubbing weekend in Osaka for April 15-16; if any Styleforum people are around, will gladly buy them a pint/shot or 5.

I'm planning to go to Japan from April 9 - 18, but not sure where I'll be and when yet. If the dates line up I'll PM you! You only doing Osaka or heading other places?

I've been scouring other SF threads on Japan for ideas, BTW
http://www.styleforum.net/t/480309/styleforum-does-japan
http://www.styleforum.net/t/192178/one-week-trip-to-japan/15

phoni

Reaction score
Yup, only Osaka. I'm not planning anything much, eating at some local places (I have friends working there) and going clubbing on Friday and Saturday. I've done the tourist sights before; the nightlife is aces though.

There may be some shopping sprinkled in, depends on the hangover.

Definitely let me know if you end up there for the 15th or 16th or April.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Will be in Tokyo for work for a few nights in May. Will watch this thread closely although I'll probably lean toward cheaper eats for meals.

Last edited:

jays978

Reaction score
Just returned from Tokyo, it was a blast!

Photos to come!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads