• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traveling to Amsterdam, Prague and Budapest

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If business conditions permit, I'm hoping to sneak-in a trip to Europe next month. My preferred destinations are Amsterdam, Prague and Budapest. Although I've received more information on Amsterdam than I really need, what experiences and opinions do forum members have on Prague and Budapest?

Also,

1. how difficult is it to get around speaking English, and

2. is a visa required for either country (Czech Republic, Hungary)?

3. are there good brothels in either town? (a traveler's gotta keep warm on cold winter nights)

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. not at all, everybond you come into contact with should be able to speak english

2 no

3. yes

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can only comment on Amsterdam, in that city you'd have a hard time not speaking English. As for the brothels, though I don't have any experience, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visa not needed for Czech and Hungary if you're an American citizen.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent; thanks all.

Any thoughts on what the "must sees" are in Prague and Budapest? (As noted in the original post, I'm less interested in comments on Amsterdam as I've gotten so many already.)

For example, isn't Budapest supposed to have wonderful old bathhouses (not in the San Francisco tradition, but more like the Roman and Turkish)? I seem to recall once reading a profile about either fitness clubs or hotels that house these world class bathhouses. As for Prague, I've only heard about beer halls and great views from various vantage points around the city.

Of course, if I go I'll definitely stop in for a fitting at Vass (which is the primary, though not only, motivation for traveling to Budapest).

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RTW or custom at Vass? If custom you'll need a second trip.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LARon
Excellent; thanks all.

Any thoughts on what the "must sees" are in Prague and Budapest? (As noted in the original post, I'm less interested in comments on Amsterdam as I've gotten so many already.)

For example, isn't Budapest supposed to have wonderful old bathhouses (not in the San Francisco tradition, but more like the Roman and Turkish)? I seem to recall once reading a profile about either fitness clubs or hotels that house these world class bathhouses. As for Prague, I've only heard about beer halls and great views from various vantage points around the city.

Of course, if I go I'll definitely stop in for a fitting at Vass (which is the primary, though not only, motivation for traveling to Budapest).

I'm offering this as a peace offering -

Budapest has some fantastic archetecture. the main pleasure there is walking around. along the river are a number of nice bath houses, mostly from the turn of the 20th century. they are extremly cheap, and usually have several pools in different temperatures as well as steam rooms, cold baths and massages. the market, also along the river, is a fantastic building, with a great selection of handicrafts and food products. walking on the main pedestrian street, paralel to the river (which vass is off of) you will see a huge amount of antique stores.

prague - there are lrge numbers of musicians in prague, mostly clasical, jazz and opera you have cheap, pretty good operas and jazz concerts every day. see the magic latern theatre, if you can, or (but this is second choice) a black light theate. eat at the municipal house and the empire cafe. walk around, the old city square, and the whole are around are spectacular. . just off of winsilsous square there is a 6 story high brothel - I have no personal expereince with it, but you can't miss it.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
RTW or custom at Vass? If custom you'll need a second trip.

Drats! But I thought they don't really do RTW, or at least don't stock a huge inventory. Do they have a full range of colors, sizes and styles in all lasts? For example, I'm interested in U-lasts in a monk and a cap toe (not yet sure if I'd want it with or without a medallion).

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I'm offering this as a peace offering -

Accepted.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Budapest has some fantastic archetecture. the main pleasure there is walking around. along the river are a number of nice bath houses, mostly from the turn of the 20th century. they are extremly cheap, and usually have several pools in different temperatures as well as steam rooms, cold baths and massages. the market, also along the river, is a fantastic building, with a great selection of handicrafts and food products. walking on the main pedestrian street, paralel to the river (which vass is off of) you will see a huge amount of antique stores.

prague - there are lrge numbers of musicians in prague, mostly clasical, jazz and opera you have cheap, pretty good operas and jazz concerts every day. see the magic latern theatre, if you can, or (but this is second choice) a black light theate. eat at the municipal house and the empire cafe. walk around, the old city square, and the whole are around are spectacular. . just off of winsilsous square there is a 6 story high brothel - I have no personal expereince with it, but you can't miss it.

Thanks for the info.

Can I get by in the bath houses, antique stores, etc., speaking English? And as to the antique stores, do they also carry antique jewelry (I'm really into old cufflinks, collar pins and tie bars).

I've become a moderate fan of the brothel, in the tradition of the great Henry Miller, and have enjoyed them in Rio, Buenos Aires and Cancun. Looking forward to a little Eastern European/slavic action.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Accepted.

here would actually be a good place to insert a few words of your own, as well.....

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here would actually be a good place to insert a few words of your own, as well.....

I accept and reciprocate your peace offering.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the info.

Can I get by in the bath houses, antique stores, etc., speaking English? And as to the antique stores, do they also carry antique jewelry (I'm really into old cufflinks, collar pins and tie bars).

I've become a moderate fan of the brothel, in the tradition of the great Henry Miller, and have enjoyed them in Rio, Buenos Aires and Cancun. Looking forward to a little Eastern European/slavic action.

yes, seriously, everybody who works in the tourist business in budapest and prague speak english. the baths they won't speak well, but you can get your hotel to write down what you want - for isntance, 15 minute massage, pedicure etc (no happy endings in these places, so don't ask),

you should be able to find art deco and art nuevo jewlery, I wasn't really looking, but there are a whole shitload of antique places. I did see a lot of antique sticks and unbrellas, and a lot of furnature and silverware.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I accept and reciprocate your peace offering.

thank you -

here's the motehrload stay at the hotel gellert in budapest (ask for room 424 or 524 - the best views in the hotel). they have their own baths, and a great resteraunt on the first (not ground) floor.

in prague, stay at the hotel alexander.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent; thanks for the specific referrals. I'll check into them today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads