• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traveling (First-time Style)

kamposs

Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Chris, it is my first time posting on this site! I am 25 and just started getting into style and dressing better. I could use your help with picking out some outfits for an upcoming trip I am going on. I will be traveling for three days.

I read this article on Dappered.com about "The Well Dressed Traveller" and tried to mimic some, if not all, of his inter-changeable clothes.

I will be traveling to North Carolina in a few weeks to see my girlfriend for three days.

Friday morning I will be flying down and we will be driving to the coast (3 hour drive); arriving around noon. It will be a casual day/night. Saturday will be casual and at night we will probably go to a nice restaurant. Sunday will be casual and I will be driving/flying home at night.

Here is what I have in my arsenal:

-Tan, grey, and dark blue jeans
-White v-neck shirts
-White sneakers (I figured I'd post these just in case)
-Blue and Gray v-neck sweaters
-Checkered button-down collar shirt

-Dark gray-ish brown suit
-Light gray suit
-Brown casual shoes
-Black square toe shoes
-Light blue shirt
-White shirt with blue vertical stripes

*Not shown: reversible brown/black belt that matches the shoes; black rubber sport watch, silver metal dress watch

I haven't gotten anything tailored yet. I would like to just pick one suit, to save money on tailoring, and because it is only a 3 day trip. I have not yet bought a tie or pocket square, because I don't know what outfits I am wearing, and not sure what colors I should have in them. If you could help me pick out...four outfits, I suppose (Friday 1, Saturday 2, Sunday 1); and some colors for the tie and pocket square, I would greatly appreciate it!

I am: white, 5'7, built but lean, 140lbs, brown hair, blue eyes, light skin (not pale). I think this makes my colors autumn/fall.

Last edited:

WildeMan

Reaction score
First, to answer your question, I would pick the darker suit..but that's just personal preference.

The suits aren't the problem..it's the shoes. The white sneakers are actually better than the other two pairs. You need better-quality dress shoes right away. Try Allen Edmonds on the web.

I owned a vacation home at the NC coast for six years. It's a great area, but I don't think I saw anyone wearing a pocket square, ever. Maybe at Christmas or Easter, at church.

Anyway, congratulations on your decision to upgrade your wardrobe. And, I think it's nice that you care what you wear while away with your girlfriend, since so many men clearly don't bother to make any effort for theirs.

omega250

Reaction score
Yes everything looks fine but the shoes (the black square toe shoes and the brown ones) have got to go.

kamposs

Reaction score
Unfortunately I just spent 90% of my clothes money on the suits. The rest is for tailoring. Is there anyway I can make do with what I have? I definitely don't have $400 do spend on Allen Edmonds before I go.

Any ideas?

kamposs

Reaction score
Unfortunately I spent the majority of my money on the suits. The remainder was for tailoring. I definitely don't have enough to spend 400$ on Allen Edmonds, even if I returned some of my stuff.

Is there any other options for shoes? I thought the brown ones would be good for casual, but I guess not lol.

You are probably right that suits are overkill. But I don't know how to find a medium between dressed up and dressed down that I would be able to work with.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not getting decent shoes was a mistake. Shoes alone won't make an outfit, but they can break one. Wear obviously cheap and ugly square toed crap will make any effort for naught.

Even nice stuff on the coast will tend towards the casual. It is the beach, after all. For your nice dinner, I would go with khakis, one of those v neck sweaters, a tie, and a pair of penny loafers- Bass weejuns are cheap and of reasonable enough quality for the price. Get the leather soled ones, they should be around $100 retail, though they're often on sale. Burgundy. They won't go with a suit, but there aren't really any lace up shoes that are even passable in the $100 range.

Other than the shoes, it looks like you bought some good pieces. You need more for the range between casual and formal, where stuff like khakis and sportcoats come in handy- a blue blazer would be very useful for you. You could throw something like that on with the jeans and that checked shirt sans tie and be perfectly attired for a nice dinner at the beach.

WildeMan

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds shoes don't have to cost $400. There are currently more than 15 models on their website for $150, and more in the $150-200 range.

Plus, Nordstrom Rack, Marshalls, etc., are good places to scout. There are even a couple of AE outlets, I think, but I don't know where they (or you) are located.

I'm not insisting on AE - sorry if it sounds like I am - but I think they'd be a great starting point for someone in your position. Also, check out the Brooks Brothers winter clearance.

kamposs

Reaction score
I live in MA; I have Nordstroms near me. What sort of shoe should I be looking for? I thought the brown shoes I have were pretty good casual shoes lol. I am 90% casual and 10% dress up on a monthly basis. What would be a good shoe/color to fit my lifestyle? I will return one of my suits tomorrow and put the money towards a nice pair of shoes.

kamposs

Reaction score
I have a Nordstroms near me. I live in MA. What type of shoes should I be looking for? The reason I ask is because I didn't think my brown shoes were that bad lol. I am 90% casual 10% dress on a monthly basis. I would prefer a pair that can work in both atmospheres with a variety of colors of clothes. Is their anything that would be a good first pair in particular?

I will return one of the suits tomorrow, I probably don't have a need for two. And will try and get a pair of shoes if I can afford them. Thanks for your help thus far.

kamposs

Reaction score
...but there aren't really any lace up shoes that are even passable in the $100 range.

You need more for the range between casual and formal, where stuff like khakis and sportcoats come in handy- a blue blazer would be very useful for you. You could throw something like that on with the jeans and that checked shirt sans tie and be perfectly attired for a nice dinner at the beach.

When do passable shoes start coming in, what range? Could you mention some that can be versatile, suit and casual?

I have been looking for an affordable sport coat, but haven't had much luck. Their are some for 89$ that are 100% cotton, but I didn't know if they were junk or not so I passed by them.

omega250

Reaction score
I would for the trip go with the dark grey suit and work with that as the key element. You can wear the blazer on the airplane and pack the pants. For the airplane, you do blazer, the button up w/ one of the sweaters, and the khakis. The restaurant you could do the suit with one of the dress shirts with sweater. Casual you could do either sweater with one of the button ups and jeans/khakis w/ the white sneakers. If you have one, throw in a grey sweatshirt, it will make it easier for the casual combinations as you can wear it with or with out a shirt under it.

For the tie & pocket square, i wouldnt over think it for a first timer. I think a guy should buy as a his first tie a nice silk navy tie be it in plain, knit or if you are a baller grenadine. Another good staple tie is the black knit tie. Like the navy tie, it works well with alot of colors and textures. Dont get a tie a skinnier than 2.75 and i say stay in the 3.0 range. With those two ties, you can do alot and you can build from there. As for the pocket tie, if you opt for one, make sure you ties does not match your square, that looks too prom ish. The square should coordinate with the colors your are wearing it and tie it all together. I recommend to any starter, a white pocket square as the first square. You will be surprised at how versatile it is and from there you can build up on the color and pattern.

The shoes, i think your white shoe is perfect for the casual part of your outfits. You dont have to spend an arm and leg for good dress shoes. My best friend for finding affordable yet high quality dress shoes is ebay. you will have to sort through alot of crap but I promise you will find the right one at the right price. I fully recommend using this search parameter that was created by thisfits.tumblr.com for your ebay searches and all you have to do is plug in your shoe size and you go from there on which brands you want and it will filter out the results.

http://thisfits.me/post/8137472336/updates-to-the-ebay-shoe-search

Allen Edmonds is the best for a starter shoe IMO. You get made in America and top quality from them. I never paid retail for AEs (i have 5 good pairs that i spend maybe $250-300) and you shouldnt pay retail unless you are balling like that. Several good brands include Florshiem, Johnston & Murphy, and Cole Haan for their basic dress shoes. They offer pretty good bang for the buck as well.

I think you for the suit, you could do something along the lines of a Allen Edmonds Park Avenue or AE Strands for laced and/or AE Westchester or AE Randolphs for loafers. You can definitely find a pair of those shoes on Ebay fairly affordable compared to retail. Those four shoes can handle the major part of your dress shoe complement while the loafers could work on the casual side as well. You dont have to get all four at once, get one that you think will work good for a start and build from there.

I would definitely check this tumblr out for a good read.

From Squalor to Baller

Business Casual Basics

Packing for Travel

Ill say this, dont over think it and enjoy your trip and seeing your girlfriend. That is the key goal :)

omega250

Reaction score
I would for the trip go with the dark grey suit and work with that as the key element. You can wear the blazer on the airplane and pack the pants. For the airplane, you do blazer, the button up w/ one of the sweaters, and the khakis. The restaurant you could do the suit with one of the dress shirts with sweater. Casual you could do either sweater with one of the button ups and jeans/khakis w/ the white sneakers. If you have one, throw in a grey sweatshirt, it will make it easier for the casual combinations as you can wear it with or with out a shirt under it.

For the tie & pocket square, i wouldnt over think it for a first timer. I think a guy should buy as a his first tie a nice silk navy tie be it in plain, knit or if you are a baller grenadine. Another good staple tie is the black knit tie. Like the navy tie, it works well with alot of colors and textures. Dont get a tie a skinnier than 2.75 and i say stay in the 3.0 range. With those two ties, you can do alot and you can build from there. As for the pocket tie, if you opt for one, make sure you ties does not match your square, that looks too prom ish. The square should coordinate with the colors your are wearing it and tie it all together. I recommend to any starter, a white pocket square as the first square. You will be surprised at how versatile it is and from there you can build up on the color and pattern. Tiebar.com is a great starting place and they have a great selection for $15 on all their ties and like $8 for pocket squares.

The shoes, i think your white shoe is perfect for the casual part of your outfits. You dont have to spend an arm and leg for good dress shoes. My best friend for finding affordable yet high quality dress shoes is ebay. you will have to sort through alot of crap but I promise you will find the right one at the right price. I fully recommend using this search parameter that was created by thisfits.tumblr.com for your ebay searches and all you have to do is plug in your shoe size and you go from there on which brands you want and it will filter out the results.

http://thisfits.me/post/8137472336/updates-to-the-ebay-shoe-search

Allen Edmonds is the best for a starter shoe IMO. You get made in America and top quality from them. I never paid retail for AEs (i have 5 good pairs that i spend maybe $250-300) and you shouldnt pay retail unless you are balling like that. Several good brands include Florshiem, Johnston & Murphy, and Cole Haan for their basic dress shoes. They offer pretty good bang for the buck as well.

I think you for the suit, you could do something along the lines of a Allen Edmonds Park Avenue or AE Strands for laced and/or AE Westchester or AE Randolphs for loafers. You can definitely find a pair of those shoes on Ebay fairly affordable compared to retail. Those four shoes can handle the major part of your dress shoe complement while the loafers could work on the casual side as well. You dont have to get all four at once, get one that you think will work good for a start and build from there.

I would definitely check this tumblr out for a good read.

From Squalor to Baller

Business Casual Basics

Packing for Travel

Ill say this, dont over think it and enjoy your trip and seeing your girlfriend. That is the key goal :)

kamposs

Reaction score
Great post omega250. Thanks all for taking the time to post. I have used your ideas putting together my outfits. I got some more khaki pants for the casual days. I will throw the black shoes to good will this week lol. I will pick up some Allen Edwards shoes when I get back; I like the Strand and the Clifton. Thoughts on colors? I will be going back down next month and I will build on how things go next week!

omega250

Reaction score
Hey sorry for the late reply here.

LOL on the black shoes.

On the Allen Edmonds, i own a pair of Walnut Strands which i think pretty well with a navy or grey suit and even well with some dark denim when you are doing a casual look. Ive gotten the most compliments from my pair of Walnut Strands (i picked a very gently used pair off ebay for like $180 which is half retail price but it was definitely the bigger part of my AE spendings on Ebay) and i think they will last you a long time. The Clifton's look pretty good in both black or walnut (though im partial to Walnut) and you do them well with a suit. Another suggestion is the AE Park Avenue. It is very popular and i know you can find it pretty affordable on ebay. I know you can look at the Nordstroms and Strands at a Nordstroms or higher level department store. I think to decide on what colors to get, i would just take what you have and what you envision to have and see how it could do with those shoes and the colors.

Ergudmun

Reaction score
Those suits look terrible. Like it was made out of shiny lycra.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics