Traveling and flying for the first time and I could use some help/tips

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Rambo, Nov 1, 2011.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

good luck, enjoy yourself. you'll be fine

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

It's like $90 to go from coach to first on AA if you do it at the self check in machine. :eek: 3 free check ins, free meal, free booze, priority TSA line, priority boarding, lounge sometimes - pays for itself if you do checked luggage.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011

4. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Kinda large and heavy for travelling...perhaps ear plugs as more travel friendly alternative?

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I don't have that model (that was just the first Google search link) but mine is under a # and about the size of a paperback book. I love it for travel.

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

That is......... quite possibly the most first world thing I've ever seen.

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

impolyt, I like the way you travel. I'm more often than not a business traveler, but am moving in this direction, too: I pack as few items of clothing as possible, buy upgrades for first class if I don't have enough miles for them, and use hotel laundry services and toiletries when possible. I've become a minimalist traveler. My colleagues often joke about how I show up with one small carry-on for week-long trips.

8. deadly7

deadly7 Senior member

Never flown AA, so $90 is a bit of a shock to me. I think it's easily 150+ for the flights on Delta/United/Continental that I've been on.

Of course, now I like to fly smaller providers (for example: Southwest) when possible. Better service/price (no checkin fees!), less douchebaggery, and in general a better experience.

9. whiteslashasian

I love me some jetblue when they have the route I'm going.

10. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

How long is the flight from Miami to New York? Can't be more than a couple of hours. Not sure upgrading from coach to first class is worth it. Unless someone else pays, of course.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Ambulance - the flight's 3 hours and lands at LaGuardia. Its prepaid so there's no bumping. Economy class for me!

So I just got the details. There's a car service in from the airport and I'm staying at the Dream Downtown Hotel

Here's the itinerary they just sent over. Looks pretty fucking sweet:

Wednesday, November 9
    Dinner at Macelleria

Nov 10

brunch at Northern Spy Food Company
    Blind Barber (http://blindbarber.com)
    Dinner at Les Halles Downtown (www.leshalles.net)
    10:00pm- Louis C.K performance at the Beacon Theater, NYC Comedy Festival (http://www.nycomedyfestival.com/schedule)

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^Rambo, I hope you enjoy yourself, and that you take time to see as much of the city as you can. Have fun!

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

They've got most of Tue and Wed blocked off so I think Thursday is my best bet. What do you guys recommend seeing. Obviously, I'd like to get to:

Empire State Bldg
    Statue of Liberty
    Ground Zero
    Maybe the UN

Are taxi's the best way to get from place to place? Or should I get some sort of 1 day bus/subway pass?

14. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

avoid the statue of liberty. It's time consuming and and lame and you could be doing way more cool stuff.

Taxi $$ adds up quick, use the subway. I only use taxis later at night when going out.

15. whiteslashasian

Dream Downtown is a pretty nice joint. Really close to where I used to live and not terribly far from my current digs.

Skip Statue of Liberty and Empire State and UN (middle of nowhere, ugh).

Do the Top of the Rock which gets you REALLY high and has a better view than the Empire imo.

Also do the Staten Island Ferry which is free, and gets you sorta close to the Statue of Liberty to snap some pics.

Ground Zero isn't so much "ground zeroish" anymore since the buildings have been going up at a good pace now. Still might be worth a visit while you're down there for the ferry. Les Halles downtown is fairly close to both.

You might want to walk around Times Square just for some pictures. A ton of people but it's still a place most first timers want to experience.

SoHo or 5th Ave for (window) shopping. Or you can check out Epaulet and some of the more boutiquey shops a little more out of the way.

If you can afford it, have a lunch (dinner might be too much dough for generally not a much better experience) at one of the top tier restaurants. Le Bernadin, EMP, Daniel, etc.

Brooklyn bridge is cool to walk over, just please for the love of god stay in the pedestrian lane otherwise you might get run over by a cyclist.

Pay attention to traffic, look out for cyclists in the bicycle lanes or just in general, they are all over and often going in the wrong direction (I'm a responsible cyclist). Don't gawk about or carry your camera around your neck the whole time. Have a subway map,hopefully you have a smart phone with Google Maps too. Download the Hopstop app and you can get almost anywhere using that. Don't get into a gypsy cab if you can help it, if you do, tell him you're giving him $X.00 to take you where you need to go, otherwise walk and find a yellow cab. Don't eat at any of those Famous Ray's pizza joints.

I'll try to think of more stuff.