• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traveling 3000 Miles for a 30 Minute Interview?

warmpi

Reaction score
ask your prof to reschedule. or to allocate a 100% final.

if you can't, tell them you have a midterm which you can't reschedule, but you're still very interested. suggest a skype or phone interview.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine the employer wouldn't find some way to reschedule, *assuming you told them it was BECAUSE of the midterm.* Judging from this thread, you may have just said "I'd like to reschedule" please, and their default answer to that is probably no.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when i was graduating i took heaps of job interviews all over the country even after id accepted a job. it was good interviewing experience and my first taste of expense accounts
lol8[1].gif
got to see quite a few new places.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ya, maybe this is a lesson in giving reasons. When somebody does not offer up a reason, I think suspicion rises.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
when i was graduating i took heaps of job interviews all over the country even after id accepted a job. it was good interviewing experience and my first taste of expense accounts
lol8[1].gif
got to see quite a few new places.

How do you think the employer of the job you accepted would have felt if they found out? Then or now?

Agnacious

Reaction score
Work with the prof to reschedule. Escalate to the Dean if necessary. The pressure to place in a tough economy will work in your favor. Don't bail on the exam.

boo

Reaction score
Is this a reputable company? Are they giving the ticket directly or promising to reimburse? Seems odd that they would only give one weeks notice and require a special venue to conduct interviews.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A decent company worth working for would accomodate you by at least a day or two. UNless they've already purchased the ticket - however, it is a large firm they probably can work out getting a refund for the ticket OR you could suggest paying your way (if you really want this opportunity).

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HEWSINATOR
How do you think the employer of the job you accepted would have felt if they found out? Then or now?

im not sure they would care. i work for a large faceless corporation.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I can't believe you would rather spend senior year going to *totally unnecessary* interviews than partying with your friends.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wasnt much partying being done in my final year.

duration

Reaction score
Well, I never travelled 3000 miles but I did travel about half of that for a 2 hour session. IMO, I think if you really really wanted the job, then you should press your prof. to reschedule the test. Its just dumb on the school's part to screw students up this way. Enough of college bureaucracy.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by duration
Well, I never travelled 3000 miles but I did travel about half of that for a 2 hour session. IMO, I think if you really really wanted the job, then you should press your prof. to reschedule the test. Its just dumb on the school's part to screw students up this way. Enough of college bureaucracy.
But the company should demonstrate flexibility, too.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by duration

This is a large state-run school we're talking about here.

ektaylor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
This is a large state-run school we're talking about here.
Yea, I mean this isn't one of those cushy Ivy League daycares we're talking about here. Think chain-link fences, man. That's Berkeley. Public school.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads