• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travel Websites?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any strong feelings for or against particular travel websites? Or specifically for traveling domestically and/or renting a car?

I'm looking to book a flight to Boston and rent a car for about a week later this summer. I've been sampling rates on the travel websites (travelocity, expedia, priceline, hotwire, sidestep), and while the flight prices are pretty consistent (and cheap), the car rental rates vary widely--from about $175 for the week to over $300.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Does anyone have any strong feelings for or against particular travel websites? Or specifically for traveling domestically and/or renting a car?

I'm looking to book a flight to Boston and rent a car for about a week later this summer. I've been sampling rates on the travel websites (travelocity, expedia, priceline, hotwire, sidestep), and while the flight prices are pretty consistent (and cheap), the car rental rates vary widely--from about $175 for the week to over $300.

All depends what type of car you want to rent, no? I mean a Ford fusion is going to cost a lot less than, say a Jag XJ8.

Jon.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do it all the time, but I cant say that I have a favorite - I would say that orbitz has been the best for me at getting good prices on unusual flights, but typically I check orbitz, travelocity and expedia before I book anything. I also often check the car companies directly. try rent a wreck, as well, for low prices.

the best way, I have found, to save money on rent a cars is to change where you pick up the car. check the train station, the airport, and then check if you go out to the suburbs, or someplace a little different, you may save money. this is the type of thing that you may have to call the rental companies.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've had good success with Kayak.com as it searches a bunch of other sites.

Rent A Wreck looks pretty cool. I might use them next month.

Any other sites for car rentals?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Airlines always have packages available online, judging by the clutter in my inbox.

vc2000

Reaction score
I fly into Boston a lot for business.

Use Kayak for Boston and click on the show other airports selection. Sometimes flying into Providence can be cheaper. (Full disclosure my firm is an investor in Kayak so I might be a little biased)

Use Orbitz for car rental info. Take the best price and reduce it by about 25% and bid on a rental through Priceline. I have had good luck in Boston getting a rental car out of Boston Logan through priceline. Priceline lets you bid the car size and gives you unlimited miles. You can't get air miles for the car but I find that car rental companies you have the chase them down anyway - I'd rather have the better rate. I just had a full sized rental out of Boston over Memorial Weekend for $200 with taxes for a week. Taxes are very high out of the airport - I think taxes were $50-70 of the price. One tax is a flat $10 convention center tax. Amazing.

Anyway I hope this helps.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782

Generally, we find the best online ticket prices and car rental rates with either of these consolidators:

Air Gorilla
http://www.air-gorilla.com/Engine/

Yahoo Travel
http://travel.yahoo.com/

We use different sources for our hotel reservations.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Vc2000, so you're with Sequoia? The young driver fee for under 25 most rental places charge is ridiculous, like $15-50 a day. I'm trying to wangle my out of it.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
In booking my ticket to India recently I found a lot more options going through Orbitz than Expedia.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Vc2000, so you're with Sequoia?

... or General Catalyst Partners
... or Accel Partners

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads