• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travel suits

bixby

Reaction score
I travel constantly, and this of course has a devastating effect on my suits over the long run, not to mention the wrinkles that I am always having to steam out. I am looking for a suit/fabric that will travel well. I would spend up to about $1500. I have tended to wear Paul Smith and Dolce&Gabbana and would be looking for something like that in a slimmer cut. 2 or 3 button ok. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

kalra2411

Reaction score
I find that any man made fibre suit
sad.gif
does well on and off a plane. For example dont go for the wool suits one would normaly wear in a buisness setting, wear the kind you would wear in the evening as these tend to be man made fibres. Zegna, Canali, and Dior Homme (though the Dior ones are not realy suitable for buisness) make good techno fibre suits.

regularjoe

Reaction score
I would think that a heavier, hard-finished suit in 90s-100s wool would do well on travel, no? I think the lighter, touchy feely suits are the steam baths waiting to happen...

kalra2411

Reaction score
Well in my experience, it is the wools, which hold the creases; of course everyone wears and treats their suit differently

Duveen

Reaction score
You should also consider the Zegna 'High-Performance' fabrics which are, I think, designed with hard travel in mind.

Otherwise, I'd second the recommendation for a harder-finish worsted fabric.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Look for stretch wools made with high-twist yarns that will snap back into shape easily. I don't know off the top of my head who uses them, but tailors I've talked to have them available in various types of fabric. Also, I'd personally pick something that doesn't show stains as much and is good in warm and cooler climates; a glen plaid or gray nailhead in hard finished "3-season" fabric would be my choice.

MikeF

Reaction score
I have a hard-finished charcoal Marzotto Lab suit with a bit of stretch that serves me well during long travels. Unfortunately, the fabric feels like ****. It would also be better if it had vents to reduce wrinkles from sitting.

BjornH

Reaction score
Look for stretch wools made with high-twist yarns that will snap back into shape easily.

Hmm - I was talking to a tailor recently and he said the opposite, albeit about cotton shirt fabrics. If the strands are tightly twisted together then the individual strands won't have 'elbow room' to bend but rather the whole twisted thread bends and forms a kink, thereby creating a crease. Loosely twisted materials will then not crease as much as they have more 'give' built into them. Does that make sense ? I took it as gospel at the time anyway.

I'm gonna second the suggestion of stretch, weather by lycra or some special weaving process. It makes for really comfortable wearing and crease resistance.

B

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recall seeing a wrinkleproof suit in a catalog recently. No, not JC Penney. It was either Paul Stuart or Brooks Brothers if I recall correctly. Not a cheap suit either. I think it was made of wool.

bixby

Reaction score
Thank you for the assistance on this. the fabric discussion is very helpful. The note on the Zengna travel suit reminded me that I had seen something to that effect in one of their ad's. Has anyone heard of any of the makers like Dolce or Dior having 'travel' fabrics. I have to say, that i prefer those cuts.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know about high twist cotton, but what I have heard and seems to make sense is that wool woven with a high twist in the .. uh.. horizontal direction (weft? warp? whatever) will stretch a bit and snap back. I don't know if it is as intuitive with cotton as they are fibers that behave very differently, but I did feel some of the fabric one tailor showed me and it stretched just like lycra fabric with no lycra.

I would think that the more fashionable houses would be more likely than the traditional houses to use 'techy' fabrics in their stuff. I am pretty sure I have heard of such things from Gucci and Prada, so I would think D&G and DH might do the same.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, Ted Baker and Paul Smith came out with travel suits a few years that were wrinkle resistant and made specifically for travel. I'll double check.

DandySF

Reaction score
Wool crepe is the most amazing and naturally wrinkle-resistant material--wonderful texture and just about impossible to wrinkle. I have an Armani sport coat and a Zileri suit in crepe and they hold up amazingly well when travelling by plane. You can practically ball them up and use them as pillows without any lasting impact.

scottmag

Reaction score
I am looking for a suit/fabric that will travel well. I would spend up to about $1500.
Actually, spending less might get you a suit that "travels" better. Â A suit with a blend of synthetic/man-made fibers with wool should resist wrinkles much better that a 100% wool suit. Â But that's not what you want to hear in this forum. Â
smile.gif
Take a look at the Brooks Brothers' BrooksCool suits. Â They might be more in line with what you are looking for. Scott

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads