• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travel shoes — what’s your approach?

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thread resurrection, but I've crossed the pond 4 times this year and about to embark on the 5th trip next week. Both domestic and international planes, so I've been experimenting with footwear.

RM Williams are amazing to wear for a short flight, but for a 6hr+, I've opted to wear my Open Walks. Easy to slip on and off, lightweight and super comfy. So I now just wear those exclusively.

Too expensive for me. What's the budget version? I'm going to Los Cabos end of August and these look nice. Not sure what shoes I'll bring. I have a couple beaters such as rebook classics and converse chuck 70s, common projects. But I don't want to bring shoes that require shoe trees since I have to pack for a baby too

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'ma UK9 which translates to 43EU.
I know, but I thought that maybe, based on @Purplelabel 's experience, that these fit a bit big, like the Common Projects sizing. I wear a size 44 in say, Margiela GATs, but definitely a 43 in Common Projects and anything else on that now ubuiquitous Margom cup sole.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too expensive for me. What's the budget version? I'm going to Los Cabos end of August and these look nice. Not sure what shoes I'll bring. I have a couple beaters such as rebook classics and converse chuck 70s, common projects. But I don't want to bring shoes that require shoe trees since I have to pack for a baby too

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know, but I thought that maybe, based on @Purplelabel 's experience, that these fit a bit big, like the Common Projects sizing. I wear a size 44 in say, Margiela GATs, but definitely a 43 in Common Projects and anything else on that now ubuiquitous Margom cup sole.

Aye. Italian shoe sizing is nuts, but consistent. For example..

My CPs, Bottegas, Cucinelli, Buscemi and LP are all EU 42. Nike, Adidas, RL drivers and RM Williams are all EU 43.

Go figure.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huh, I may actually prefer both the design and color of these...
Quality is amazing. The suede also smells amazing on my pair.

4FAF8F61-1D58-4AE9-9ECF-8D1972609EF4.jpeg

767F4BFC-47FB-4E68-9D41-4539B8D7B9FA.jpeg

Plus sharing my camel Open Walks.

IMG_1199_jpg.jpeg

IMG_1197_jpg.jpeg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have had my eye on these for a while; do you know whether they can be resoled? The latex sole looks like something that might not be widely available to most cobblers.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have had my eye on these for a while; do you know whether they can be resoled? The latex sole looks like something that might not be widely available to most cobblers.

It doesn’t look like it, but the soles are very hardy. I’ve had mine a year and a half and nothing.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wince at the thought of going on flights in lace up shoes.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Funny this thread got resurrected. I've been thinking about this issue a lot lately as I've been traveling quite a bit.

I typically don't check a bag and I've switched to duffels or other luggage as I'm tired of airlines trying to gate-check rolling carry-ons. As such, I've gotten a lot more conscious about what I wear and pack while traveling.

Currently, my system is to take two pairs of footwear on trips of any real length. I wear the larger/heavier pair and have the lighter pair in the bag. i.e. wear boots, have tennis shoes in bag or wear shoes and have sandals in bag. (My rainbows get a lot more wear these days than I ever expected, don't judge me).

fabricateurialist

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads