Travel Recommendations (Mexico or Vegas): Late August

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by enjoiii, Jul 3, 2011.

1. enjoiii

enjoiii Senior member

I am going to be finishing my degree up at the end of August and am planning on going for a vacation before I start work. I realize this isn't the best time but there isn't really much flexibility for the dates.

I was thinking Mexico for a week or Vegas for 3-4 days. I know lots of people on here are really into the culture and food aspect when travelling, but I am pretty much just looking to get drunk and party most of the time.

Soo....Vegas or Mexico?

What places would be good in Mexico this time of year? Are all-inclusive resorts decent?

Not looking to spend a ton, probably around $1000 or so.

2. worldrunner

worldrunner Senior member

3. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

I never understand why people want to go to the hottest places on earth in the summer time. I have friends that go to the Carribean in June - I just don't get it. Miami in August? Absurd.

In late August, there is no nicer place on earth that the north-east United States. Eastern Long Island, Cape Cod, the southern coast of Maine, eastern shore of Maryland, Outer Banks in NC - all fantastic. Tomatoes are in season, the weather is perfect.

In my opinion, there's no better way to get drunk than dark n stormys and watching the sun set.

4. NaTionS

NaTionS Senior member

Are those really your only two choices? Going to a desert during summer or risk getting killed in a drug related shooting. Hmmm

5. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

I was in Vegas in August once. I felt like I was constantly under a heat lamp, at night.

6. sonick

sonick Senior member

Vegas will be cheap but hot as fuck, the Eastern side of Mexico (Cancun, Mayan Riviera) will be in the midst of hurricane/rainy season, and the Western side is overrun with drug gangbangers.

Given the choices, I'd say Vegas would be first, then Eastern side of Mexico.

7. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

Are those really your only two choices? Going to a desert during summer or risk getting killed in a drug related shooting. Hmmm
    jsut stya away from the notr ans you should be good in mexico... this idea that everywhere in mexico there is a high risk of being shot is[​IMG]

8. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Vegas isn't that bad in August. I just got back a few days ago - 40 degrees (celsius) during the day, but I like dry heat so it didn't bother me that much. My favorite part of Vegas is the pools so I absolutely love going there in the summer.

9. sonick

sonick Senior member

Vegas isn't that bad in August. I just got back a few days ago - 40 degrees (celsius) during the day, but I like dry heat so it didn't bother me that much. My favorite part of Vegas is the pools so I absolutely love going there in the summer.

It's just tough at night when you're in a dress shirt, trousers/jeans and dress shoes to go out and you start sweating after walking 5 minutes outside.

10. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Both will be hot as fuck. Go to Colorado or something.

11. enjoiii

enjoiii Senior member

Yeah, those are good points and to be completely honest I hate the heat, so I may be better off staying away from Vegas/Mexico.

Does Colorado have a decent night life? New York would be fun, but i'm worried it might be prohibitively expensive.

Or an Alaskan cruise.....

12. Sir Humphrey Appleby

Sir Humphrey Appleby Senior member

Go to the Disappointment Islands [​IMG]

13. sonick

sonick Senior member

Yeah, those are good points and to be completely honest I hate the heat, so I may be better off staying away from Vegas/Mexico.

Does Colorado have a decent night life? New York would be fun, but i'm worried it might be prohibitively expensive.

Or an Alaskan cruise.....

If you have a particular week to go, I'd scour the websites now as this is the time for last minute, non-refundable cruise deals if you're going mid-late august. My friend booked a 7-Night Seattle Roundtrip Alaska Cruise on Princess for $599 USD per person (inside stateroom) two weeks ago, sailing 3rd week of July.

Also take into account flights; most 7-day Alaska leaves from Seattle, some from Vancouver. San Francisco Roundtrip has a 10-night itinerary on a few of the cruiselines as well.

However it is not a 'get drunk and party' type cruise.

What about Mexican Riviera Cruise from LA or Caribbean from Miami/Ft. Lauderdale? Carnival ships are usually full of young people getting drunk. Service and food will be shit but it'll be cheap and you'll get drunk and party. I went last year to Mex Riviera on Royal Caribbean with a few buddies, all mid-twenties, and had a good time as well.

14. Jdeansmith11

Jdeansmith11 Well-Known Member

If you want a busy, people-filled vacation, Vegas is the place to go, but if you're looking more to relax and veg out then you could probably find a nice, quiet beach in Mexico... where you won't bump into some drug lords/locals aren't hassling you for money hopefully.

15. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

u see the title of this thread??? :embar: