1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Travel: Places where you have been and NEVER wish to go back!

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Kiwi Man, Jun 15, 2011.

1. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

I love Savannah, GA. Great drinking town. Forgot my hate for Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Just awful.
    I went to Savannah last year with my mind dead set on hating it. Ended up loving it - would go back. One more for me - Macau. But only because I keep getting deathly seasick on that goddamned hydrofoil.

2. GreenNYC

GreenNYC Senior member

Managua, Nicaragua.

Nothing of merit in Managua, and the people are unpleasant.

Also....
    Scilly Cay
    Las Vegas
    Brno

3. scientific

scientific Senior member

Baltimore.
    I left Pittsburgh at the age of 10 and never looked back.
    any city in Connecticut that has skyscrapers.
    I would say AC because it is a ****hole, but the Borgata is nice and I'm a degen gambler.

4. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Senior member

I left Pittsburgh at the age of 10 and never looked back.

That's strange. Pittsburgh is ranked at the top for the American's most livable city by Forbes!

http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/29/cit...me-income.html

I have been there myself and felt in love with it. Well, I have friends who live in the suburb of Pittsburgh called Irwin and they are nicest people I have known.

5. scientific

scientific Senior member

yea i hear those kind of things all the time ... well, it beats Baltimore.

6. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

nha trang, vietnam.

it was great 10 years ago, but i just went back last sept, and it is gross.

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

Baltimore. I left Pittsburgh at the age of 10 and never looked back. any city in Connecticut that has skyscrapers. I would say AC because it is a ****hole, but the Borgata is nice and I'm a degen gambler.
    That's strange. Pittsburgh is ranked at the top for the American's most livable city by Forbes! http://www.forbes.com/2010/04/29/cit...me-income.html I have been there myself and felt in love with it. Well, I have friends who live in the suburb of Pittsburgh called Irwin and they are nicest people I have known.
    Moved to Pittsburgh last July and I'm enjoying it so far. They (I guess it's "we", now) need an NBA team, though. Edit: I've also been to Pittsburg, KS and it's a truly depressing place. I'll never go back.

8. ysc

ysc Senior member

Nothing of merit in Managua, and the people are unpleasant.
    I actually found the people in Managua, as everywhere else in Nicaragua, very friendly. It is a really really really crappy city though. Also I don't ever need to go to Puerta Vallarta again. I liked a lot of the rest of Mexico though. On Fuji's and Rangoon's description of England - the women are pretty damn disapointing. There are very pretty women here, but the majority are fairly gross with wierdly high opinions of themselves. I am not going to disagree abotu that, but I have to disagree about the people and the food being shit. Most people are perfectly decent and friendly, and the food, if you look for it, is as good as anywhere else. Small-town england can be awful, dull people, dull food, so don't go there, problem solved. There are plenty of bland towns with a chav problem but there are also some great cities and a lot of pretty villages. I suspect this is the case with many countries.

9. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Canada.....probably becasue I am banned from entering the country!
    Outside of that, I have a good time wherever I go!

How do you get banned from Canada, of all places? [​IMG]

I don't travel much, but two from my brother who has:

Koksar, India

http://www.break-fresh-ground.com/As...Journal-9.html

Mumbai, India -- my brother's verbatim description of the smell: "imagine stuffing an exhaust pipe up one nostril and a hunk of shit up the other" ... [​IMG]

10. gululv

gululv Senior member

Fun thread..let's see:

Dresden - boring as hell

11. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

Anytown in the South; those include:
    Charlotte
    Atlanta
    anything in Alabama, Georgia and N/S Carolina...
    nasty,redneck accents, ubiquitous stench of sweat everywhere,gnarled traffic, hypocritical/two-faced people[​IMG]

12. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

There are tons of crappy cities in the US that aren't worth listing here because they aren't really travel destinations in the first place.

International destinations I probably won't return to:

Bangkok - Good food and some nice spots but the whole vibe is lame and the place is filled to the brim with annoying sexpats and corny girls.

Cambodia - Aside from Angkor Wat and parts of the capital, it's pretty poor, creepy, and depressing.

Beihai, China - Depressing beach town. Nice people, though.

Shanghai -- Concrete slab of capitalism populated by (mostly) shallow people and crooks. The Los Angeles of the Orient.

Suzhou, China -- Depressing, nondescript.

13. whenwe

whenwe Active Member

Tangiers- Creepy place, far cry from what it used to be I guess.
    Geneva- Boring and expensive
    Khartoum- depressing as fuck/ scary

14. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

7 pages so far and no mention of Jamaica? My over/under was page 2 for mention of that.

I personally love Jamaica and have been there 30+ times in the last 20 years.

But I'm constantly bombarded with questions like "is it safe?" from people who've never been or only ever been in an AI like Sandals.

15. kruze

kruze Senior member

Detroit
    Lodi/Fresno as mentioned earlier
    Reno
    St Louis, Little Rock, Hunstville, etc. Not my style -food, women, culture, all of it.
    Miami [not the beach, just the city]
    Redding/Chico - small, tired, not cool even though I've heard otherwise from an idiot
    Hartford
    Perth Amboy, Patterson, Secaucus - no explanation

Only been to a few places overseas, Germany and Poland, liked both. Will be traveling more soon and will potentially go to one listed in this thread...belgrade.

16. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

St. Louis is going to fucking suck if you are from Southern California, and I say this as a person from St. Louis who doesn't really like Southern California besides the weather.
    A couple weeks ago, I got on a plane at LAX, got off at STL; have been out of the country for a few years, so the 4 or 5 enormous butch lesbians at baggage claim in outfits ranging from Dodgers uniforms to leather driver's caps and flannel shirts was just shocking, I really was not ready for that at that point. Everything I've experienced in the past few weeks makes me want to never want to leave Tokyo again.

17. JoelF

JoelF Senior member

Tangiers- Creepy place, far cry from what it used to be I guess.
    Geneva- Boring and expensive
    Khartoum- depressing as fuck/ scary

Geneva sucks, spent too much time there on business. Worth maybe three hours as a tourist. Close to some very nice places though (French Alps).

One place I could live without seeing ever again - all of Florida.

18. Roy

Roy Senior member

The only place I can think of is Marrakech, Marocco. It was fun to see once, but it is just a dirty, smelly city. Lots of people, mainly children and teens that surround you and try to make a buck as a city guide. When you don't respond they can get aggressive.

Marrakech has some nice things to see, but i saw them and I'm not going back.

19. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Even though i live here, I'd put Seoul on the list, I guess I am marooned. 3 or 4 days and you've seen most of the good stuff. The tail is amazing, but to see the best of it, you need to stay more than a week, and it's all downhill from there. [​IMG]

20. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

What'd you have against Chicago? My major complaint is lack of terrain and the shoreline being absolutely straight.

For places I have no desire to go to again, add: Nebraska. And Abilene, Texas.

I don't much like El Paso, Texas, but it does have some nice places around the university. That copper smelting plant right in the middle of town with the huge "We're Green, El Paso" sign was good Big Lie candidate.