• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Travel: France Outside of Paris

Camilo

Reaction score
I have never been to France outside of Paris and this May I will have the opportunity to do so. I have maybe a week, so are there any specific parts of France that you have found quintessentially French, similar to how Tuscany is the quintessential region of Italy to the American mind? I am Californian myself. I was thinking of the south of France but a friend told me to go to Bordeaux instead because he found southern France to be too much like California.

So Styleforumites, men of better taste than me and my company, what has your experience been? Maybe I should mention I plan to go to Switzerland for a little bit also if that makes certain regions the clear option route-wise.

Last edited:

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I’d visit Burgundy en route to maybe Chamonix, then onto Switzerland.

Chouan

Reaction score
There is no such thing as "typical" France, each region is unique, and none of, to me, is anything like California. When are you going?

Camilo

Reaction score
Easyjet and its ilk makes it possible to move around France quickly without worrying too much about price, but yeah Burgundy on the way to Switzerland is definitely the easiest route to take.

I am going in mid-late May Chouan.

Chouan

Reaction score
Easyjet and its ilk makes it possible to move around France quickly without worrying too much about price, but yeah Burgundy on the way to Switzerland is definitely the easiest route to take.

I am going in mid-late May Chouan.

The Mayenne might be nice, not very warm though. Nice gentle countryside and very friendly. However, I particularly like Languedoc, Perpignan/Montpellier/Narbonne area, as well as the Dordogne Limousin and Perigord. All have excellent local wines, of course! All are as "typical" of France as each other. Trains are a good means of travel and SNCF are both fast and efficient.

elfton

Reaction score
For the last couple of summers I've been to Italy a lot, solely by train. Like you @Camilo, I have the urge to explore France outside of Paris (great biography title btw), but want to do it by train. Mostly been thinking about the riviera – does anyone have experience of going between the cities of the riviera by train?

Chouan

Reaction score
For the last couple of summers I've been to Italy a lot, solely by train. Like you @Camilo, I have the urge to explore France outside of Paris (great biography title btw), but want to do it by train. Mostly been thinking about the riviera – does anyone have experience of going between the cities of the riviera by train?

The mainline trains are, the TGV, are excellent. They are fast, comfortable and efficient. They're not cheap, but are, to me, the best and fastest form of travel, city centre to city centre.

Camilo

Reaction score
Just an update, I have decided to go to Burgundy just because it's the most convenient thing to do. Chouan, I have just discovered that about TGV too, I thought it would be similar prices to the Frecce in Italy but it is a bit more expensive. Paris to Beaune by train is 34 euro for me, since it's about 90 days out I assume this is the cheapest price for that time/day and it will only go up as tickets sell.

There is also TER the slower regional trains (and there are maybe 2 more types of trains?) but it looks to be about the same price as the TGV, at least when TGV first goes on sale. I'm sure as the day approaches, TGV becomes much more expensive and TER is the economical option.

Chouan

Reaction score
Just an update, I have decided to go to Burgundy just because it's the most convenient thing to do. Chouan, I have just discovered that about TGV too, I thought it would be similar prices to the Frecce in Italy but it is a bit more expensive. Paris to Beaune by train is 34 euro for me, since it's about 90 days out I assume this is the cheapest price for that time/day and it will only go up as tickets sell.

There is also TER the slower regional trains (and there are maybe 2 more types of trains?) but it looks to be about the same price as the TGV, at least when TGV first goes on sale. I'm sure as the day approaches, TGV becomes much more expensive and TER is the economical option.
34 Euro really isn't bad. The tolls on the Peage would probably cost close to that!

megabiscoito

Reaction score
Not been in a lot of places in France, but I liked very much Colmar in Alsace. Nice is also nice except a lot of confusion when I was there in the Summer. I prefer more quiet places.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a trip to France as well and somehow need to get from Cannes to Paris with all the strikes. Considering renting a car now although my french is iffy

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads