1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Trapper hat for Toronto

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by swan, Nov 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

I worked with a guy who moved to W. Canada from Australia. It was cold that winter, -30 at least.
    I remember him saying it was so cold that it made his chest hurt. He asked if I knew the feeling. I confessed I didn't.
    The next week he was taken to the hospital. Turns out it was angina.
    No wonder I didn't know what he was talking about.

2. swan

swan Well-Known Member

i have already bought this jacket http://www.farfetch.com/shopping/men/belstaft-aviator-cricket-jacket-item-10112197.aspx
    got it for a very good price, do you think this will be good for the winter there?

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Nice jacket. Is it down-filled? I can't see any specifics on the link site. If so, what is the fill number? It appears to be fine and will probably do the job, especially whilst wearing a sweater and scarf under it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  4. logan858

logan858 Active Member

you have to remember, Toronto is very much considered the south in Canada, so it actually is not that bad in Toronto, even in January and February. it still get a wee bit nippy, but you probably won't be experiencing too much =30 to -40 weather like i do up north. you might get the odd -30 days in toronto. anyways, just ignore canada goose's new rating system where the chilliwack bomber style, (600$) is only good for -5 degree weather. this is how canada goose markets to toronto lol. people don't really need canada goose in toronto, the expedition styled parka is good in antartica, a population (non-permanent) of 1 to 5 thousand. .... and then toronto = 5.5 million people

anyways, canada goose is very good quality, so i don't want to discourage you. coyote fur, goose down, it's great. be very careful about buying online though, there are a lot of canada goose fakes. I'm gonna buy a chilliwack style bomber canada goose after xmas, as it does regularly get below -30 where i live, and there is usually some -40 periods as well every year. one good thing about global warming is i haven't seen any -50 days in awhile.

ewwwwww. roots is awful and all their stuff looks awful.

5. swan

swan Well-Known Member

yeh it is goose filled, not sure the fill rating or where to check that. i hope it will be ok.
    thanks for the help and advice

6. swan

swan Well-Known Member

yeh it is down filled with goose, not sure where to check the fill number
    thanks for your help and advice

7. swan

swan Well-Known Member

thanks for that, yeh i would only buy it from mr porter which i know i can trust, i arrive end of novmeber so i will assess the conditions when im there and i hopefully i wont lose feeling in my ears by then.
    any weather below 0 will be bloody cold for me our winters in australia only get down to like 5 degrees as a low so it will be a bit of a shock to the system.
    thanks for your advice

8. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member

I am sure many people buy from reputable sources but the number of online sites with "sale priced" CG is crazy. There are also tutorials on YouTube showing fakes. With the relative explosion of CG in T.O. And other cities I can't imagine everyone is paying retail.

Should check if there is a CG thread on SWD.

9. addedfuel

addedfuel Senior member

swan, that's a nice Belstaff jacket but there's no hurry for the Canada Goose hat as there will be plenty of sales in December when you can acquire it at a discount. It only gets real cold after X'mas. If you are commuting from Thornhill and are expected to walk outdoors a lot, I suggest that hat plus long johns.

10. gsugsu

gsugsu Senior member