• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
you didn't find it interesting?
Ummm. Not when the subject matter is ********** with 12 year old girls...

You guys want to end up on Dateline?

mussel

Reaction score
How come "Suit Sleeve Issues - Bespoke" got secret-squirreled?

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mussel
How come "Suit Sleeve Issues - Bespoke" got secret-squirreled?

Is there a thread that explains some of these terms everyone uses? "secret-squirreled?" Not the smartest guy on earth, but did not think I was dumb either and some of these things you guys write go way above or maybe beneath my head, I don't know.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LatinStyleLover
Is there a thread that explains some of these terms everyone uses? "secret-squirreled?" Not the smartest guy on earth, but did not think I was dumb either and some of these things you guys write go way above or maybe beneath my head, I don't know.
Aside from technical tailoring terms and the like, it's really a matter of inside jokes that aren't going to have much resonance unless you've been hanging around a while and seen them develop. Just do what I do, play along like you know what people are talking about, and randomly toss a characteristic phrase like "secret squirrel", "black suit", "transparent metal", or "brown is for farmer" into one of your posts. You may not think it means anything, but people will look at you with new-found respect and maybe even give you a
lol8[1].gif
Anyway, welcome aboard.

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
That is just too funny. I thought it was something much more complicated but now I realize it is to make people like me go nuts. I asked my lady about it thinking it had some sophisticated meaning to it that I would never understand and I had her thinking about it for some time too and now we both feel like douche bags!

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
There's a secret forum that only moderators can see, called the "squirrel" forum, where they "squirrel away" threads that they want to remove from the boards. This way, they don't actually delete the posts, and can refer to the offending thread later, if, say, they need to see whether this is the first time someone's being an ass, or whether this is becoming a habit.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is just too funny. I thought it was something much more complicated but now I realize it is to make people like me go nuts. I asked my lady about it thinking it had some sophisticated meaning to it that I would never understand and I had her thinking about it for some time too and now we both feel like douche bags!

"douche bags" are also one of the most endeared code-words in SF
lol8[1].gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
"douche bags" are also one of the most endeared code-words in SF
lol8[1].gif

But it should be douchebag and not douche bag.

LatinStyleLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
There's a secret forum that only moderators can see, called the "squirrel" forum, where they "squirrel away" threads that they want to remove from the boards. This way, they don't actually delete the posts, and can refer to the offending thread later, if, say, they need to see whether this is the first time someone's being an ass, or whether this is becoming a habit.

If I had gotten that answer in the first place I would have felt like I had known something was up and was very discerning. Now after admitting to my girlfriend that we both had it wrong and that it had no actual meaning you tell me this? My personal rule is I am only required to admit to her being stupid on a topic one time so I think I will leave it as it was last night and just consider myself a double douchebag here and a single douche bag with her since she shares my pain on that one. This forum is tough! I got hazed so to speak or maybe just plain assaulted after my first post about shoe trees at GVH and now this. When I just watched from the outside I thought I had something to say that might improve my experience but am beginning to think I know nothing and should just choose to remain silent before I unconditionally prove to everyone I am as dumb as I sound.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Ummm. Not when the subject matter is ********** with 12 year old girls...

You guys want to end up on Dateline?

that would be interesting.

i only saw the first couple of pages, but the only reference to 12 year-olds was in jlibourel's o.p., and that was attributed to his friend. everyone else seemed to be keeping it to at least 14, which is legal in many states and many countries, so i really don't see why the subject was controversial.

my grandmother was 15 when she married my grandfather, who was 30 at the time, and they were the most loving couple i have ever seen.

i'm disappointed because i was expecting a good thread, especially if the women on the board joined in, and i was hoping it would turn into a discussion on the issue of morality versus legality.

when did styleforum turn blockbusterÂ
00ae.png
corporate america?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I just watched from the outside I thought I had something to say that might improve my experience but am beginning to think I know nothing and should just choose to remain silent before I unconditionally prove to everyone I am as dumb as I sound.
Don't worry about it. I've been proving my own dumbness since day one.

Welcome.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
that would be interesting.

i only saw the first couple of pages, but the only reference to 12 year-olds was in jlibourel's o.p., and that was attributed to his friend. everyone else seemed to be keeping it to at least 14, which is legal in many states and many countries, so i really don't see why the subject was controversial.

my grandmother was 15 when she married my grandfather, who was 30 at the time, and they were the most loving couple i have ever seen.

i'm disappointed because i was expecting a good thread, especially if the women on the board joined in, and i was hoping it would turn into a discussion on the issue of morality versus legality.

when did styleforum turn blockbusterÂ
00ae.png
corporate america?

I kinda feel the same way. I think the very fact that this is one of those subjects that make some people freak out is the very reason it made for an interesting thread, and the posts seemed pretty thoughtful. I did see a shady post or two at the end - someone saying that "12 if it's just for sex" or something like that. Still, I hear where you're coming from. My grandmother was 16 when she got married and the Guatemalan woman that was a nanny and housekeeper for us when I was young was married at 14. Both boys and girls are infantilized in our culture compared to 100 years ago. That may be a very good thing, for many reasons, but it doesn't seem that it should be taboo to talk about.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I kinda feel the same way. I think the very fact that this is one of those subjects that make some people freak out is the very reason it made for an interesting thread, and the posts seemed pretty thoughtful. I did see a shady post or two at the end - someone saying that "12 if it's just for sex" or something like that. Still, I hear where you're coming from. My grandmother was 16 when she got married and the Guatemalan woman that was a nanny and housekeeper for us when I was young was married at 14. Both boys and girls are infantilized in our culture compared to 100 years ago. That may be a very good thing, for many reasons, but it doesn't seem that it should be taboo to talk about.

Without weighing in on the moral/cultural issues, certain facts are relevant here:
1. Sex with minors (however that is defined in a given state) is illegal. Whether or not that should be the case, and whether or not there is room for reasonable debate about where the line should be drawn for the age of consent, that's the existing legal framework.
2. For what I presume we can all agree are understandable reasons, there are some fairly serious laws prohibiting not just actual sex with minors, but also portrayals of sex (or sexually suggestive/exploitative/whatever portrayals) involving minors.
3. Considerable law enforcement resources, backed by strong public/political sentiment, have been devoted (again, for obvious reasons) to cracking down on internet trafficking in child Appreciation, solicitation, exploitation, etc.
4. Given the general abhorrence to the exploitation, etc. of kids, any person or medium accused of coming even close to crossing various lines (the exact placement of which may be a matter of interpretation or value judgment) tends not to get the benefit of the doubt.
5. This is a public forum, so pretty much anybody can join a discussion. What's more, there's a track record of some members -- sometimes openly, sometimes using aliases, getting a juvenile thrill out of crossing lines and deliberately attempting to offend others' sensibilities. Given that, even without having seen the thread in question I'd have to imagine there was a significant likelihood that the quality of discussion would have deteriorated, not improved, over time, and the incidence of "questionable" posts would have increased.

In light of all that, it hardly seems surprising that the thread got "squirrelled". There are plenty of places where some of the legal/cultural issues at play can be openly discussed -- but I'd tend to agree with the judgment of j et al. that this probably isn't the best place. As for those who suggest that canning a thread that appeals to what is, for some, a disturbingly strong interest in "discussing" sex with young girls makes this "blockbuster@corporate america", all I can say is:
musicboohoo[1].gif
musicboohoo[1].gif
musicboohoo[1].gif
musicboohoo[1].gif
musicboohoo[1].gif
musicboohoo[1].gif
musicboohoo[1].gif

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^
All very true. The topic made me uncomfortable too, but I suppose that's why I think it's healthy to get it out in the open. Race issues can be the same way. I do think that j and accociates can squirrel any thread they want. And we can ask why - hence this thread.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
^^^
All very true. The topic made me uncomfortable too, but I suppose that's why I think it's healthy to get it out in the open. Race issues can be the same way. I do think that j and accociates can squirrel any thread they want. And we can ask why - hence this thread.

All good points. Obviously, an internet discussion of this topic in particular raises certain challenges/concerns that are absent with other potentially controversial subjects, such as race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads