1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Nah, that one wasn't so exciting. I just miss the epic tale of the Mexicans storming the Asparagus Castle.

Me too. I wonder if Princess SoCal was spirited away to the tower for safe-keeping?

2. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

Me too. I wonder if Princess SoCal was spirited away to the tower for safe-keeping?

IIRC, he was hurried into a monster truck and driven away along secret paths known only to Elven kind.

3. dokelroth

dokelroth Senior member

IIRC, he was hurried into a monster truck and driven away along secret paths known only to Elven kind.

Queen of Light took her bow, And then she turned to go,
    The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, And walked the night alone.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

i agree. and why not simply delete individual posts that are objectionable rather than lock/delete the thread?

Meh, probably because that would be a great deal more work -- not only would every post have to be read in a given thread, but then you'd have to weigh who's on the line, who's over the line, and which of those deserve deletion, then there's all the posts that refer to that post to deal with, then there will be a whole bunch of people who got deleted complaining why they didn't deserve it. This way the whole thing thing goes <poof> without fingers being pointed.

Regards,
    Huntsman

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

i agree. and why not simply delete individual posts that are objectionable rather than lock/delete the thread?

500 years from now a student at harvard will be doing a research paper on "early 21st century dandies and their attitudes toward the social issues of their day", and this student is going to be hard pressed to find anything on the internets because anything remotely controversial was squirreled away.

They will have to buy the rights to the Squirrelled threads from the Styleforum Inc.

Meh, probably because that would be a great deal more work -- not only would every post have to be read in a given thread, but then you'd have to weigh who's on the line, who's over the line, and which of those deserve deletion, then there's all the posts that refer to that post to deal with, then there will be a whole bunch of people who got deleted complaining why they didn't deserve it. This way the whole thing thing goes <poof> without fingers being pointed.

Regards,
    Huntsman

Yup, I used to do that, and it's a pain in the ass. And, everyone gets their panties in a bunch anyway. This is much easier. Me, I'm for self-policing. If one kid is going to ruin the game for everyone, the others should make sure he knows where the line is. That way, mommy (j, Steve, Matt, Brian, and Brad) and Daddy (me) do not have to do anything.

6. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

Regards,
    Huntsman

wouldn't you have to weigh these things anyway in order to determine that a whole thread should be deleted?

and if someone really has crossed the line in such a way as to delete a thread, shouldn't they be in time out or something? if the offense is not so bad as to deserve a time out, how is it bad enough to deserve being censored?

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Meh, I don't think so. Say the thread is getting really vitriloic on the last page, and a mod Squirrels it. He doesn't have to read pages 1-15 to find the culprit(s), delete their posts/timeout them, figure out what to do with all the interpost references. It's done.

It doesn't (IMHE of merely watching) seem like a poster was the problem in a thread -- mainly a bunch of people are pushing 90% or better of the line and the sum crossed the thread into the Badlands. But I'm not a mod, obviously.

~ Huntsman

8. matadorpoeta

Meh, I don't think so. Say the thread is getting really vitriloic on the last page, and a mod Squirrels it. He doesn't have to read pages 1-15 to find the culprit(s), delete their posts/timeout them, figure out what to do with all the interpost references. It's done.

It doesn't (IMHE of merely watching) seem like a poster was the problem in a thread -- mainly a bunch of people are pushing 90% or better of the line and the sum crossed the thread into the Badlands. But I'm not a mod, obviously.

~ Huntsman

exactly, if a thread has 12 pages of good conversation, and the 13th page starts to cross the line, why delete the whole thread?

9. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Because of the effort involved to find out where it strayed -- maybe page 10, or 8, or 2. But this is merely how I see things, I am not a mod, and I am going to shut up about it.

~ Huntsman

10. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I am sorry I didn't see the end of the thread...

11. WSW

WSW Senior member

I too am sorry that I missed the rest of the thread. Only a few of the posters engaged in ad homs, everyone else was fairly civil.

12. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

wouldn't you have to weigh these things anyway in order to determine that a whole thread should be deleted?

and if someone really has crossed the line in such a way as to delete a thread, shouldn't they be in time out or something? if the offense is not so bad as to deserve a time out, how is it bad enough to deserve being censored?

We like to use time outs and bans as a last resort. That may change.

Huntsman already hit the nail on the head re. your first question. We don't have the time nor inclination to vet threads. It's up to the members involved in a thread to self police. Don't let a bad apple ruin the batch, so to speak. If someone says something really stupid, something offensive, ignore it. Yes, ignore it. That way, that poster will be left holding the ball.

This point is now clear. Move on.

13. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Can someone fill me in briefly on the &quot;Mexicans storming the Asparagus Castle&quot; episode?

14. matadorpoeta

We like to use time outs and bans as a last resort. That may change.

Huntsman already hit the nail on the head re. your first question. We don't have the time nor inclination to vet threads. It's up to the members involved in a thread to self police. Don't let a bad apple ruin the batch, so to speak. If someone says something really stupid, something offensive, ignore it. Yes, ignore it. That way, that poster will be left holding the ball.

what i'm getting at is essentially this. this forum has a search function. j has also added the ability to add tags to threads in order to facilitate searches. these two things tell me that j, to some degree, must value old threads, otherwise all threads would be deleted as soon as people stopped posting in them. so to some degree, the moderators should consider that a thread with many pages, with 20 or 30 guys participating, has some value, and the moderator should not be so quick to delete an entire thread because it is more convenient than rooting out the evil-doers who derail it.

bear in mind that some of the threads being squirreled are popular ones. that means many on this board find them interesting enough to participate, and that is the reason for this board's existence; because enough people find interesting conversation here.

This point is now clear. Move on.
    i don't appreciate your condescending tone. i have not said anything inappropriate and you are no one to tell me not to voice my opinion. that is, after all, the point of this thread.

15. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

So... basically you want to give VOLUNTEER moderators the autonomy to delete specific posts at a whim. And then you sit here and argue with a moderator about it when he tells you that its neither time efficient or for the good of the forum? We'd need half a dozen or so more mods to do what you want done, and the chances of one of them getting irritated and getting delete/ban happy algorithmically increase. So what happens when your post is deleted? I bet you'd get upset. At least with the situation as it is now, there is always the opportunity for J to decide to bring back all or part of a thread later if he thinks it merits it. You can't squirrel specific posts, as far as I know, and asking him (or anyone) to babysit thousands of posts a day is unreasonable, considering the circumstances.

16. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nah, that one wasn't so exciting. I just miss the epic tale of the Mexicans storming the Asparagus Castle.
    Fear not, I'm sure we have not heard the last of the adventures of Thom Brownebadil...

17. redcaimen

redcaimen Senior member

So... basically you want to give VOLUNTEER moderators the autonomy to delete specific posts at a whim. And then you sit here and argue with a moderator about it when he tells you that its neither time efficient or for the good of the forum? We'd need half a dozen or so more mods to do what you want done, and the chances of one of them getting irritated and getting delete/ban happy algorithmically increase.

So what happens when your post is deleted?

I bet you'd get upset.

At least with the situation as it is now, there is always the opportunity for J to decide to bring back all or part of a thread later if he thinks it merits it. You can't squirrel specific posts, as far as I know, and asking him (or anyone) to babysit thousands of posts a day is unreasonable, considering the circumstances.

The Algorithmics would make a good name for a band.

18. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Anyone else think Go Surface's avatar is a little too much? What can I do about NSFW avatars?

19. DNW

DNW Senior member

Anyone else think Go Surface's avatar is a little too much? What can I do about NSFW avatars?

DSAW (don't surf at work).

20. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Or how about a little restraint from the members here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.