1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Whose sock puppet is hws? I'm just curious. He seems to push the "foreigner bad at English funny" meme to unfunny reaches vaclav and ernest never dreamed of.

Something about him...my money is Conne.

2. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

You are an idiot.

3. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

You are an idiot.

You are an idiot.

4. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

No, but you have more of a right to Mod there than Steve.

Steve is "just another person" in CE. If he has a problem with someone there, he can take it up with a moderator.

A lot of people wonder why Steve makes threads/posts disappear at his whim, and I doubt most of them would feel comfortable about PMing him given this and how he might react to the criticism. As such, if you/j get fifteen PMs that you have to respond to personally, rather than just fifteen posts in this thread that you can address with ONE reply, it seems more open and easier for you mods (and everybody else) this way. Besides, I don't think anybody really wants any punitive measures or anything that serious... just that maybe Steve agree to give up CE moderating powers if he wants to be an active participant.

Just my two cents, FWIW. Being a mod is the least enviable, least enjoyable, most headache-worthy job in the world, I know.

EDIT: Oops, didn't realize the original thread in question was back in CE. Okay, I'll shut up now. [​IMG]

OK- last time. The only thread I have squirreled recently is the ghey bar thread. Because I thought it was in poor taste, j moved it back. No biggie.

Squirreled the other one because I thought I'd taken enough pummeling. Evidently not because when I moved it back, it started again.

I haven't made a post disappear in eons. At least a year.

I've timed someone out once and they deserved it.

I don't think I'm allowed freedom of speech in CE. Whether I have moderating privileges or not, when I say something controversial the first line of discussion is "but you're a moderator"! Everyone else gets to say pretty much what they want to say.

j has asked me to not post and moderate at the same time. As I said in the thread, I'd really rather not do either.

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Whose sock puppet is hws? I'm just curious. He seems to push the "foreigner bad at English funny" meme to unfunny reaches vaclav and ernest never dreamed of.

Perhaps, the issue is that, the success, and accolade, have in his head, lodged.

Not seeing it. My vote is someone fluent in multiple languages, like Metro, Jinda, or perhaps Etienne.

6. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Squirreled the other one because I thought I'd taken enough pummeling. Evidently not because when I moved it back, it started again.
    The pummeling you got the second time around was for abusing your privileges. And you deserved it. I believe that's a nearly unanimous position as far as I can tell. The first time around, you were probably being oversensitive, and if you don't want to be "pummeled" (I.E. you don't want people to argue with you) Don't post in CE. Pretty easy. If you do decide to argue politics in CE, and someone crosses the line, report them to another mod and let them handle it as they see fit. You are not impartial in that scenario, and you have a tendency to overreact and bully people with your mod powers. You keep going the way you are going, and enough people are going to complain about you in official channels that you are going to force J's hand. And J, as far as I know him, doesn't like to be forced to deal with people. He'd rather you deal with yourself.
    We'd rather you pick one and stick with it. Either be a poster, or a moderator. Some people can do both, it is obvious that you cannot. Every time you decide to switch hats, you go completely ass over teakettle, overreact, and take everything way more personally than you should. I get worked up and pissed off too. But I can't ban or time out anyone, or squirrel threads, or abuse powers that I don't have. I am allowed to be crazy and stir up trouble. I am allowed to be unfair and biased. I am allowed to be an asshole. I am not a moderator. You don't have that luxury. You have to put your emotions in your pocket and sit on them. You must be MODERATE. Or you are just taking advantage of your situation, and J's patience and kindness. I'm not trying to put words in anybody's mouth, but that's just how I see it, and from the feedback I'm getting, quite a few other people see it that way too.

7. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    j has asked me to not post and moderate at the same time. As I said in the thread, I'd really rather not do either.

So pick one "” or none "” Steve.

8. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

TS, I always thought you were a mod.

Oops. I guess I can insult and abuse you more now. [​IMG]

+1 -- the dickishness is very similar.

Not seeing it. My vote is someone fluent in multiple languages, like Metro, Jinda, or perhaps Etienne.
    NFW. hws' language ability is about the level of the "Visiting Foreigner in Old Movie" -- a few words thrown in that anyone can pick up and stilted syntax.

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

TS, I always thought you were a mod. Oops. I guess I can insult and abuse you more now. [​IMG]
    Maneki Neko, Please.

10. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Okay guys. j and I have already talked about this, and j has PM'ed Steve, so please let's stop with the Steve B pile-on. It's been dealt with, so any more about this is uncool. Thanks,

Fok.

11. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Not me. I am terrible at sock puppets. Case in point: Panera Girl.

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I think hws is T's creation. Thomas set the bar too damn high with ElHawat.

13. MetroStyles

I think hws is pretty funny. Not as funny as the Marroquians guy tho.

14. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

I think hws is T's creation. Thomas set the bar too damn high with ElHawat.

I was sort of thinking the same but the genius of El Hawat isn't as prominent in HWS.

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is all a big connard.

16. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I think hws is pretty funny. Not as funny as the Marroquians guy tho.

hws is funny. Nothing, truly nothing, can compare to ElHawat. Come on. The poast about the camel running through the crowd and falafel flying everywhere? I literally LOL'd for several minutes at that.

17. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

hws is funny. Nothing, truly nothing, can compare to ElHawat. Come on. The poast about the camel running through the crowd and falafel flying everywhere? I literally LOL'd for several minutes at that.

I just started busting up in laughter thinking about that post.

18. MetroStyles

Crap, I never saw it. Link? Have all his poasts been squirrelled? Nooooo!

19. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

You are an idiot.
    There you go again.

I'm sorry I missed that one. Just from the description, it sounds vanity-ish.

20. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Crap, I never saw it. Link? Have all his poasts been squirrelled? Nooooo!
    I think they've been squirreled. Not only that, but Thomas is all locked up about it. [​IMG]
    There you go again.
    It's an experiment.

Kind of like Vanity, except infinitely more funny and infinitely less douchey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.