1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Moo, was your GF in the Soviet army? (not hatting, just curious).

For a second I thought you were asking about my girlfriend [​IMG]

Yes, he was a tank commander in WW2. He was heavily involved in his first battle at the ripe old age of 17, and was part of the final push into Berlin.

2. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

I think a big part of humour is contrast, things being out of place, flipped. I don't know what that would be called, I'm sure it has a name, but it definitely applies here.

This and because the scene is just so bat-shit crazy. And the one word you can understand is "Stalingrad" so the dubbing has to work that in as well as half the people leaving the room. It has become part of the meme. In this case of the Brown meme it's just saying what a lot of Obama's critics , including his lefty critics, have been saying about him but just so over the top that it kind of makes you chuckle. Same with the TO/Dallas one, I mean why would Hitler give a shit about football? It's just kind of amusing to imagine that instead of Hitler raving about all the evil shit he raved about his was just talking shit about football like anyone else but in that insane over the top manner of his.

I can see why people think Hitler should never be made light of, but that is the humor as I see it.

3. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Yes, he was a tank commander in WW2. He was heavily involved in his first battle at the ripe old age of 17, and was part of the final push into Berlin.

Well, I did always pick you for a GILF lover.

My grandparents had a boarder once who had been a german tank commander ( I know, wrong side). My dad says he had some pretty crazy stories including having his tank shot out from under him in Stalingrad and being forced to walk back to Germany with the remnants of the German forces.

4. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

So did I! I was thinking I REALLY missed the joke there. [​IMG]

Wow, you are lucky to have learnt that history from him. Cool.

5. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Well, I did always pick you for a GILF lover.

My grandparents had a boarder once who had been a german tank commander ( I know, wrong side). My dad says he had some pretty crazy stories including having his tank shot out from under him in Stalingrad and being forced to walk back to Germany with the remnants of the German forces.

Sounds about right. Aside from the SS and the people who worked willingly in the death camps, the German Army was made up of young men who were thinking that they were fighting for the Fatherland, much like the Russian Army's men were fighting for the Motherland. You cannot fault millions based on the leadership/brainwashing/propaganda of a few.

6. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

This and because the scene is just so bat-shit crazy. And the one word you can understand is "Stalingrad" so the dubbing has to work that in as well as half the people leaving the room. It has become part of the meme. In this case of the Brown meme it's just saying what a lot of Obama's critics , including his lefty critics, have been saying about him but just so over the top that it kind of makes you chuckle. Same with the TO/Dallas one, I mean why would Hitler give a shit about football? It's just kind of amusing to imagine that instead of Hitler raving about all the evil shit he raved about his was just talking shit about football like anyone else but in that insane over the top manner of his. I can see why people think Hitler should never be made light of, but that is the humor as I see it.
    Again, you guys are not looking at WHAT is being said or WHO is saying it, but only that the words "work" in the meme or with the dubbing itself. Even in a joke, a meaning is being expressed and a viewpoint. A joke has meaning, even if "over the top." Perhaps in other incarnations (like football or something) the meme works. I don't think it does, in this case. The dubbing is attributing to batshit-crazy Bunker Hitler the viewpoint of many Americans, making Hitler timely and relevant and funny on a serious governmental/cultural issue. It's not making FUN OF Hitler. It's making fun of us. Hitler's crazy rantings are being equated to rantings that we have, right now, in the US. I have a sense of humor... trust me... I'm just trying to get you guys to see what you are laughing at... and it ain't Hitler or naziism. Is Hitler going to be the next innocuous cultural icon that kids will put on tshirts and buttons, like Mao and Che and all those other guys they know nothing about?

7. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Wow, you are lucky to have learnt that history from him. Cool.

Indeed. He still tells me stories from time to time, even though they're still painful to him. [​IMG]

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

nope. Regular .jpeg

on another note...

"Styleforum" added me as a friend on FB. Which use is that? (Want to know before I accept).

Our Facebook presence will be used to make announcements (e.g. forum is going down for maintenance... no, not really) and also to link to "Best of" threads, for PSAs, etc... Hopefully, members will also get to know one another through FB as well. Obviously, we are still experimenting with the thing.

9. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

Rach. Normally I agree with you when it comes to political things but you're committing intentional fallacy here. The meme has been going for a while, there are hundreds of variations on youtube. It's just funny because it's Hitler spazzing out, generally over something anachronistic. I've shown this video to a lot of people, a few of whom happen to be serious Dems...none of them seemed to feel like they were being compared to nazis or Hitler after watching the vid. [​IMG] Do you really think it's a philosophical danger or a political move, bringing in Hitler with this current event?

As for the whole nazi discussion...maybe I am just too young, or too desensitized by contemporary culture/media/whatever else, but I grew up in a Jewish family with Jewish friends and went to a Jewish nursery school. I have friends in Israel. I had relatives who died in concentration camps as I know a number of posters who have written in the last couple of pages of this thread also had. But to me, getting upset over hearing the word "nazi" used as a joke is kind of the worst thing you can do. It's things like this that lead to censorship and feelings of guilt. Not only that but I feel like making it into a "he who must named be named" situation almost keeps the atrocities alive in a way that is not historical, culturally significant or constructive in any way. I dunno, it's a tricky issues, obviously there have to be limits, I wouldn't try to explain the Seinfeld soup-nazi episode to a holocaust survivor. At the same time, I think we need to take things into context and it's sometimes hard to know someone's intention through the computer screen but generally I think if you're on an internet forum you need to be prepared for certain things. I hope I haven't offended anyone with my half-baked ramblings, just my two cents.

10. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is Hitler going to be the next innocuous cultural icon that kids will put on tshirts and buttons, like Mao and Che and all those other guys they know nothing about?

No. No chance.

11. rach2jlc

Rach. Normally I agree with you when it comes to political things but you're committing intentional fallacy here. The meme has been going for a while, there are hundreds of variations on youtube. It's just funny because it's Hitler spazzing out, generally over something anachronistic. I've shown this video to a lot of people, a few of whom happen to be serious Dems...none of them seemed to feel like they were being compared to nazis or Hitler after watching the vid. [​IMG] Do you really think it's a philosophical danger or a political move, bringing in Hitler with this current event? As for the whole nazi discussion...maybe I am just too young, or too desensitized by contemporary culture/media/whatever else, but I grew up in a Jewish family with Jewish friends and went to a Jewish nursery school. I have friends in Israel. I had relatives who died in concentration camps as I know a number of posters who have written in the last couple of pages of this thread also had. But to me, getting upset over hearing the word "nazi" used as a joke is kind of the worst thing you can do. It's things like this that lead to censorship and feelings of guilt. Not only that but I feel like making it into a "he who must named be named" situation almost keeps the atrocities alive in a way that is not historical, culturally significant or constructive in any way. I dunno, it's a tricky issues, obviously there have to be limits, I wouldn't try to explain the Seinfeld soup-nazi episode to a holocaust survivor. At the same time, I think we need to take things into context and it's sometimes hard to know someone's intention through the computer screen but generally I think if you're on an internet forum you need to be prepared for certain things. I hope I haven't offended anyone with my half-baked ramblings, just my two cents.
    Fair enough. It appears I'm the only one who can't get exactly what's so funny about it BENEATH the dubbing, so I'll admit that maybe I'm misinterpreting it/reading it wrong. Nevertheless, I do think that given how fast and easy people forget, to some idiot kids Hitler is "that crazy guy on Youtube with the funny dubbing." Think it sounds far fetched? I had students in Japan who didn't even know what Emperor Hirohito looked like (I was reading the Herbert Bix bio in the teacher's room one day and had several kids say, "hey, who's that? He looks Japanese!") and this was the man who fifty years ago was semi-divine and in whose name WWII was fought. Anyway, like I said, I was trying to make a distinction, but I guess I'm the only one seeing it and might be wrong.
    No. No chance.
    I hope you're right, but it's a big difference to say "Ah, I can get fired for saying the wrong thing about Hitler" and really understanding why Hitler was a monster. I don't see that there is necessarily a good job of historically teaching the 20th century as much as their is a PC push that categorizing "evil" and understanding it are the same thing to young people who have Wii and 7 square meals a day. If anything, the inherent "you can't say that!" about Hitler perhaps is what fuels people to use him as a meme. I don't think a lot of young people really "get" what he or Stalin or pol Pot or others really did, and the "naughty" jokes they make about him (innocently) are sort of because people just TELL them they "can't" say those things.

12. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I honestly can't really read the MC forum anymore. I'm sort of curious to know, every once in a while, what the big fights are all about. But I go in and read a thread top to bottom and I have no idea what anyone is talking about. I can't even tell what side people are on! I'm halfheartedly interested in knowing what got FNB banned but I would probably read the post and not have a clue what he was talking about.
    Agreed. Foo is doing his part to ruin it.

13. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Nevertheless, I do think that given how fast and easy people forget, to some idiot kids Hitler is "that crazy guy on Youtube with the funny dubbing." Think it sounds far fetched? I had students in Japan who didn't even know what Emperor Hirohito looked like (I was reading the Herbert Bix bio in the teacher's room one day and had several kids say, "hey, who's that? He looks Japanese!") and this was the man who fifty years ago was semi-divine and in whose name WWII was fought.

Think that's bad? Most of the Japanese students who have come through my center -- including one businessman in his early 40s -- couldn't even name the current emperor! (I could, though.)

14. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

I'm not meaning to beat a dead horse/keep this going... but even if it was made innocently not as an anti-Obama/anti-America jab, but just as a way to play with the meme... that it's still a little bit bothersome in what it says? Look at what Hitler's SAYING and things he said he did. He's basically speaking as a person in the Democratic Base, disappointed with Obama. Jokes are jokes, but WHAT are you guys laughing at?

I didn't memorize the thing but two jokes [to me] jump to my mind.

1. Where he says he never gives anything yet he donated (his time?) to Obama and it was a waste.

2. He says no wonder Obama doesn't want to release his grades. Bush got Cs but Obama must have failed lunch.

That second one really made me laugh. It's obviously not even applicable cause Obama's a smart guy and I think Bush is dumb as rocks but it was still bloody funny to me.

You didn't think it's funny and while I don't think what Hitler did to the Jews is to be laughed at in any way, I still think that subtitled clip is funny.

Done. However, I admit that I like what can be considered stupid humor such as Family Guy (and there's a long thread on this where people say they don't think it's at all funny), South Park, etc. GQGeek (I think) made a comment in the thread that when he first saw the vid posted he thought "oh no, not this again" or something along those lines and I responded that I felt the same way cause I've seen maybe 3 or 4 of those subtitled videos and the "novelty" of it has worn off for me. But I gave this one a shot and I did end up laughing.

15. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

It was funny, though. There is, apparently, an Internet meme to take exactly that scene from some German movie (I don't even know the title) and then write subtitled dialogue on the theme of "delivering bad news to an insane person." There must be hundreds of these efforts now. Sometimes the writing is very good. And if Hitler is never funny does that mean it is wrong to like The Producers? [​IMG] (The original, not the musical.)
    The movie is called Downfall. It is a seriously great film.

16. rach2jlc

Okay, I just watched it TWO more times. We're just going to have to agree to disagree. Maybe I'll buy why some of the other incarnations might be funny (like football or whatever,) but not with this Brown one. Anyway, sorry mods for derailing the thread; I know it's not the purpose of TML&ST for discussions like this. [​IMG]

17. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

Our Facebook presence will be used to make announcements (e.g. forum is going down for maintenance... no, not really) and also to link to "Best of" threads, for PSAs, etc... Hopefully, members will also get to know one another through FB as well. Obviously, we are still experimenting with the thing.

LOLS! I just wasted a good 10 mins seeing who I could recognize on that FB page. [​IMG]

18. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Agreed. Foo is doing his part to ruin it.

You're jealous of the Foo? [​IMG]

19. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Words

There is also a bit of absurdism in the whole thing. Again the twitchy weirdness of Hitler talking about football makes for a slightly surreal image.

But in any case, rach I can see where you're coming from. I guess in my minds it's just a meme. I've certainly given far more thought about it in this thread then in the 30 or seconds of my life I'd spent watching it.

20. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Rach, one pet peeve of mine is "Commie Hah Hah" like Che shirts and the KGB Bar in Lower Manhattan. Not funny, to me.

But I still think the Hitler thing is funny. If they had a Stalin clip and used that, I would probably think that was funny too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.