1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

The clip is from the film Downfall (Der Untergang) a movie about Hitler's secretary (as in typist, not man servant). It's pretty good and thought provoking and features an interview with the actual secretary Traudl Junge at the end. Well worth a watch.

2. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

The thread that confused me most lately is how Meister's "Hitler responds to Scott Brown" got so many "OMG that was so funny" posts. I just don't find Hitler funny, call me crazy. Especially when the implication of the whole joke is that Hitler gave money to Obama's campaign, supporting him, and now is angry that a republican won. I'm the only one who read it as Hitler = Democrats? Are people really that amused by "clever" dubbing that they just miss that?

Anyway, I digress. I figured more people would have complained, but before I could post and say, "WTF meister?" there were an assortment of heil-fives. It seems like the forum is going through another bout of its twice annual "teh dumbz" syndrome. (TDS)

I watched it and it was bloody hilarious.

If the thread/video was about actual Hitler and the Holocaust I could understand some of your upset but you are taking it way too seriously IMO. I was very happy that Brown won; not cause I like Brown but because it will hopefully block the non-reforming reform. In no way, however, did I take that joke to be that Hitler = Democrats as you seem to have interpreted it. Instead, I laughed at the "clever" dubbing as you put it. This is because this meme (if you can call it that) has been around for a while and applied to a variety of different subjects.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Where I come from, jokes using Hitler or Waffen SS casually are very unusual and often considered offensive. Same goes for the use of words like "nazi" or "ss" as a casual descriptive like is often done here (grammar nazi, soup nazi, etc...). However, after 10 years here, I've slowly become de-sensitized to these and they can make me laugh sometimes if they're not in really bad taste. In short, I can understand being offended.

4. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Mostly it's because GoSurface and mack are adorable and smart and wonderful.

I've seen pictures of both and adorable is not an adjective I would use.

5. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

Where they in a compromising position?

6. bigbris1

bigbris1 Senior member

a large portion of people posting in this thread need to man the F up.

7. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

[​IMG]

8. unjung

unjung Senior member

Going back to the beginning of the thread? [​IMG]

9. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Going back to the beginning of the thread? [​IMG]

No, just to when the circle-jerk started. [​IMG]

10. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Is that some sort of euphemism for gay dating?

11. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

The clip is from the film Downfall (Der Untergang) a movie about Hitler's secretary (as in typist, not man servant). It's pretty good and thought provoking and features an interview with the actual secretary Traudl Junge at the end. Well worth a watch.
    Great movie. Bruno Ganz is terrific.

Where I come from, jokes using Hitler or Waffen SS casually are very unusual and often considered offensive. Same goes for the use of words like "nazi" or "ss" as a casual descriptive like is often done here (grammar nazi, soup nazi, etc...).
    "Details", "details"... [/lepen]

GoSurface is totally adorable.

12. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Senior member

all this WWII and Hitler talk makes me wanna post this:

[​IMG]

13. romafan

romafan Senior member

all this WWII and Hitler talk makes me wanna post this:

[​IMG]

lol!

14. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

I watched it and it was bloody hilarious. If the thread/video was about actual Hitler and the Holocaust I could understand some of your upset but you are taking it way too seriously IMO. I was very happy that Brown won; not cause I like Brown but because it will hopefully block the non-reforming reform. In no way, however, did I take that joke to be that Hitler = Democrats as you seem to have interpreted it. Instead, I laughed at the "clever" dubbing as you put it. This is because this meme (if you can call it that) has been around for a while and applied to a variety of different subjects.
    That's just the thing... you guys are finding the dubbing and the meme funny. I'm not meaning to beat a dead horse/keep this going... but even if it was made innocently not as an anti-Obama/anti-America jab, but just as a way to play with the meme... that it's still a little bit bothersome in what it says? Look at what Hitler's SAYING and things he said he did. He's basically speaking as a person in the Democratic Base, disappointed with Obama. Jokes are jokes, but WHAT are you guys laughing at? I just think that our natural predilection for finding foreign languages dubbed with made-up subtitles funny is getting in the way of something that really isn't funny... in THIS CASE. Let's dub Pol Pot! He's a hoot. Anyway, carry on... I just really want you guys to explain what is funny about it, except 1) it's funny to play with subtitles.

15. unjung

unjung Senior member

Anyway, carry on... I just really want you guys to explain what is funny about it, except 1) it's funny to play with subtitles.

I think a big part of humour is contrast, things being out of place, flipped. I don't know what that would be called, I'm sure it has a name, but it definitely applies here.

16. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I think a big part of humour is contrast, things being out of place, flipped. I don't know what that would be called, I'm sure it has a name, but it definitely applies here.

I think it's called conceptual transposition. Tranny for short.

17. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

If you had family - lots of family - die in the death camps, and your grandfather was in WW2 and has told you a ton of stories about the travesties that he encounterd/endured/witnessed, you would perhaps have a different outlook on these things. Lots of people just talk a lot of shit online, and make ridiculous jokes about very serious things. I told my grandfather about Inglorious Basterds (a movie I loved) and he just blinked a few times and said "that's not what happened, and that's not how it [WW2] ended." It's not that he doesn't have a sense of humor - he does. It's that there are things that, to some people, can never, ever be funny for any reason. People online don't give a shit about that because they're all keyboard warriors and/or have never been checked in real life.

18. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Moo, was your GF in the Soviet army? (not hatting, just curious).

19. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

I get that. BUT, what I'm saying is... behind the witty transposition, IN THIS CASE, I think there's something more there that should give us pause before saying, "OMG SO FUNNY!" I guess I'm not being very good at articulating this (LONG week), but I also hope it won't take a full Discourse Analysis of that video to get you guys to see why THIS video (not necessarily any and every Hitler-themed joke) is iffy.
    I think it's called conceptual transposition. Tranny for short.
    I thought it was contraception, but it may have changed since the new edition of the APA manual came out.
    If you had family - lots of family - die in the death camps, and your grandfather was in WW2 and has told you a ton of stories about the travesties that he encounterd/endured/witnessed, you would perhaps have a different outlook on these things. Lots of people just talk a lot of shit online, and make ridiculous jokes about very serious things. I told my grandfather about Inglorious Basterds (a movie I loved) and he just blinked a few times and said "that's not what happened, and that's not how it [WW2] ended." It's not that he doesn't have a sense of humor - he does. It's that there are things that, to some people, can never, ever be funny for any reason. People online don't give a shit about that because they're all keyboard warriors and/or have never been checked in real life.
    Interesting point. When "Pearl Harbor" came out, some relatives and I were going to go see it and asked my grandma to go and she basically did the same thing as your grandfather... she said, "good lord, I lived through it once, why would I want to go and see a movie about it?"

20. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Where I come from, jokes using Hitler or Waffen SS casually are very unusual and often considered offensive. Same goes for the use of words like "nazi" or "ss" as a casual descriptive like is often done here (grammar nazi, soup nazi, etc...). However, after 10 years here, I've slowly become de-sensitized to these and they can make me laugh sometimes if they're not in really bad taste. In short, I can understand being offended.
    I have a similar background and have objected to the casual use of "nazi" and similar terms. I find "soup nazi" and "grammar nazi" stupid and offensive. Obviously, not everyone agrees with me.
    That's just the thing... you guys are finding the dubbing and the meme funny. I'm not meaning to beat a dead horse/keep this going... but even if it was made innocently not as an anti-Obama/anti-America jab, but just as a way to play with the meme... that it's still a little bit bothersome in what it says? Look at what Hitler's SAYING and things he said he did. He's basically speaking as a person in the Democratic Base, disappointed with Obama. Jokes are jokes, but WHAT are you guys laughing at? I just think that our natural predilection for finding foreign languages dubbed with made-up subtitles funny is getting in the way of something that really isn't funny... in THIS CASE. Let's dub Pol Pot! He's a hoot. Anyway, carry on... I just really want you guys to explain what is funny about it, except 1) it's funny to play with subtitles.
    Dubbing Pol Pot would be a work of genius. And there is always Stalin. Note to Manton: The Producers (the film, not the damned musical) was funny precisely because of the way a bunch of Jews shattered a taboo. The film has such a different meaning now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.