Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Does it mean you are auto-banning yourself (Ã la Jovan)?

I must have missed that. What happened to him?

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Yeah, it won't be much longer now. Especially if I keep writing short and pointless comments like this one...

Like what?

[​IMG]

3. jett

jett Senior member

Like what?

[​IMG]

Like this, my 99th comment. Somehow my next comment will magically make me worthy. I hate arbitrary numbers.

4. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

5. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Like this, my 99th comment. Somehow my next comment will magically make me worthy. I hate arbitrary numbers.

Answer this and you will be worthy:

"What is your favorite color?"

[​IMG]

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Watch out! It's a trap - don't fall for it!

7. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

8. jett

jett Senior member

Answer this and you will be worthy: "What is your favorite color?" [​IMG]
    Black. I had to be talked out of buying a black suit as my first in the very first thread I created here. Soon I will be ordering a 3-button suit from Thick as Thieves, in charcoal. Hopefully my second suit will be in black though. I know there's a lot of hate here for a black suit but I think I can pull it off. and now I am worthy. A suggestion - what if you could read-only instead of not post until you are deemed worthy?

9. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

I don't ever want to jump the sartorial shark. I know I started off as nothing but a bottom feeding guppy, but I'm slowly working my way towards excellence. When I reach the highest level of sartorial skill possible, I want the mods to ban me and retire my username.

10. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

and now I am worthy

Congratulations!! Next step is to go to this thread and tell us what you think of campus police using taser guns... and go!

11. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Black. I had to be talked out of buying a black suit as my first in the very first thread I created here. Soon I will be ordering a 3-button suit from Thick as Thieves, in charcoal. Hopefully my second suit will be in black though. I know there's a lot of hate here for a black suit but I think I can pull it off.

and now I am worthy.

A suggestion - what if you could read-only instead of not post until you are deemed worthy?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The read only idea will not really solve the whole spiders indexing controversial posts out of context problem that J is wary of, however...

12. jett

jett Senior member

Congratulations!! Next step is to go to this thread and tell us what you think of campus police using taser guns... and go!

I almost did it but I just couldn't click the submit button. I got into a nasty discussion about that when it originally happened and have no desire to relive any of that.

13. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

You are now at 101! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! http://www.olgabaclanova.com/picture...gobble_med.jpg Edit: Back on topic at hand, J, what do they do on other sites when it comes to issues like this? Do they just use post count minimums or some other method?

14. TheHoff

TheHoff Senior member

You are now at 101!

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

http://www.olgabaclanova.com/picture...gobble_med.jpg

Edit:

Back on topic at hand, J, what do they do on other sites when it comes to issues like this? Do they just use post count minimums or some other method?

Post count is always a sketchy tool to use to enforce a site standard. I don't see it being such a bad thing in this case, but for things like posting links, using signatures, etc, it will often just encourage new users to post junk one-line posts in order to reach the needed mark.

If a forum is quite controversial or troll-attracting, one good way to limit posting access is to charge a minor fee, say $2, to gain permanent access to it. Most people won't spend good money to be a jerk, plus you get their real ID when you charge a payment.

15. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Post count is always a sketchy tool to use to enforce a site standard. I don't see it being such a bad thing in this case, but for things like posting links, using signatures, etc, it will often just encourage new users to post junk one-line posts in order to reach the needed mark.

If a forum is quite controversial or troll-attracting, one good way to limit posting access is to charge a minor fee, say $2, to gain permanent access to it. Most people won't spend good money to be a jerk, plus you get their real ID when you charge a payment.

The fee thing is an interesting idea but I don't know how that would work in reality. Food for thought though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.