1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

I can confidently state vitaminc is one of our most anti-semantic posters.
    He's also the CFO of the Aperipanist Society of Styleforum, aka ASS. Maybe if we could have gotten him to post on my anger thread, then I wouldn't have turned nice and flirty so suddenly.

2. haganah

haganah Senior member

He's also the CFO of the Aperipanist Society of Styleforum (ASS). Maybe if we could have gotten him to post on my anger thread, then I wouldn't have turned nice and flirty so suddenly.
    I was going to find threads for you to flirt with him but it looks like you've already flirted with him extensively!!!! http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...9&postcount=35 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...22#post1757522 http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...2&postcount=42 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...05#post1437305

3. rach2jlc

I was going to find threads for you to flirt with him but it looks like you've already flirted with him extensively!!!! http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...9&postcount=35 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...22#post1757522 http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...2&postcount=42 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...05#post1437305
    Haha... yeah, he gets me irritable faster than many/most others, just because he's so incredibly obtuse. He's never been right about ANYTHING and has often... if not always... been so off the mark in what he says that you just wonder WTF is wrong with him. Being conservative, incendiary, even anti-whatever, doesn't get me going... in and of itself. It's just the woeful stupidity and smarminess that often accompanies it that pushes me over the edge.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Haha... yeah, he gets me irritable faster than many/most others, just because he's so incredibly obtuse. He's never been right about ANYTHING and has often... if not always... been so off the mark in what he says that you just wonder WTF is wrong with him. Being conservative, incendiary, even anti-whatever, doesn't get me going... in and of itself. It's just the woeful stupidity and smarminess that often accompanies it that pushes me over the edge.
    I picture you, VitaminC and Artisan Fan taking a romantic helicopter ride together to see the Hawaiian volcanoes and rainforests.

5. rach2jlc

I picture you, VitaminC and Artisan Fan taking a romantic helicopter ride together to see the Hawaiian volcanoes and rainforests.

Are we talking a low-cost, fiscally conservative helicopter ride or one of those government waste, high-tax, bloated cost helicopter rides?

Please specify. Thx.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are we talking a low-cost, fiscally conservative helicopter ride or one of those government waste, high-tax, bloated cost helicopter rides?

Please specify. Thx.

High cost, baby. Nothing less for VitaminC's little cabbage.

7. haganah

haganah Senior member

You've created a problem for me. On the one hand I like Rach, on the other hand I want the helicopter to crash. I think the only fair solution is for the helicopter to crash, Rach to be unharmed, and then to eat the other two. Done.

8. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

You've created a problem for me. On the one hand I like Rach, on the other hand I want the helicopter to crash. I think the only fair solution is for the helicopter to crash, Rach to be unharmed, and then to eat the other two. Done.

Rach could always push the other two out into the volcano. That would be a happy ending.

9. forsbergacct2000

forsbergacct2000 Senior member

10. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Xiaoguo is teh pilot.

11. ysc

ysc Senior member

Xiaoguo is teh pilot.

and only rach gets a parachute.

12. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Can I go?!?!? I love helichoppers!!!

13. whacked

whacked Senior member

What would dkzzzz be? The local translator?

14. why

why Senior member

What would dkzzzz be? The local translator?

Since he can't form his own cognitive thought let alone translate someone else's, I'd say he's best suited as the landing pad instead.

15. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

fghf is carpet bombing spam all over the site.

16. Jumbie

Jumbie Senior member

fghf is carpet bombing spam all over the site.

It's been brought up time and time again but the spam on this forum is ridiculous.

I love this forum. I spend more time on here than I should. Way more time. However I don't understand why measures aren't taken to reduce the spam. Well, I'm sure there are some and there is a lot that doesn't make it through whatever steps are in place but from my perspective as an end user it appears that this site treats the symptoms rather than the disease in that spam has to be reported before it is "handled" and the offenders removed.

I've been on other sites before where the first post is submitted to the moderators for approval and then if allowed the poster given full access to post without this limitation. Perhaps this would end up as more workload for the mods but I don't see it being much different from them handling reported posts.

17. indy116

indy116 Senior member

18. j

j Senior member Admin

It's been brought up time and time again but the spam on this forum is ridiculous. I love this forum. I spend more time on here than I should. Way more time. However I don't understand why measures aren't taken to reduce the spam. Well, I'm sure there are some and there is a lot that doesn't make it through whatever steps are in place but from my perspective as an end user it appears that this site treats the symptoms rather than the disease in that spam has to be reported before it is "handled" and the offenders removed. I've been on other sites before where the first post is submitted to the moderators for approval and then if allowed the poster given full access to post without this limitation. Perhaps this would end up as more workload for the mods but I don't see it being much different from them handling reported posts.
    It's because I've been lazy about updating the forum software and implementing extra measures against the spam. The moderated first post thing is an idea, but it requires there to be a moderator available to check posts at all times. This would mean enlisting more moderators to ensure that someone with good judgment is always around. I'm sure there are plenty of good candidates, but I have trust issues about giving control to people I don't know pretty well, and I have come to believe that my trust issues are one of the reasons that people seem to mostly like the moderation here. Less cooks, better broth, etc. However, I do understand that the spam is a problem, and I'll try to devote some time soon to solving it. It would be nice if I could figure out a way to not get 244 spam report emails when I get home from taking a day off the internet. (yes, 244.)

19. haganah

haganah Senior member

It's because I've been lazy about updating the forum software and implementing extra measures against the spam. The moderated first post thing is an idea, but it requires there to be a moderator available to check posts at all times. This would mean enlisting more moderators to ensure that someone with good judgment is always around. I'm sure there are plenty of good candidates, but I have trust issues about giving control to people I don't know pretty well, and I have come to believe that my trust issues are one of the reasons that people seem to mostly like the moderation here. Less cooks, better broth, etc. However, I do understand that the spam is a problem, and I'll try to devote some time soon to solving it. It would be nice if I could figure out a way to not get 244 spam report emails when I get home from taking a day off the internet. (yes, 244.)
    Just change it so people can't post a link for their first 25 posts or so. That will work wonders.

20. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

Just change it so people can't post a link for their first 25 posts or so. That will work wonders.

+1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.