• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Wow - all this time I thought you were just editing and moving your prior posts into new threads.

worship.gif

Geez Thomas, that sounds like a lot of work. I dont engage in anything that purposeful anymore. Have you ever had a particularly fragrant bum come up to you and ask for some change? I think that is how J viewed my requests - just toss him a few pennies and the stink will go away. He was right. I havent PM'd him since.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
Geez Thomas, that sounds like a lot of work. I dont engage in anything that purposeful anymore. Have you ever had a particularly fragrant bum come up to you and ask for some change? I think that is how J viewed my requests - just toss him a few pennies and the stink will go away. He was right. I havent PM'd him since.
Huh. Was wondering what that smell was, my nose must had been acclimatised to it and took my being gone from SF for a few months to notice it.
Originally Posted by iammatt
We say lawn jockey now to express the same sentiment. It is a bit more genteel.
WTF is a "lawn jockey"? I'd rather not try an internet search on that while at work...

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Huh. Was wondering what that smell was, my nose must had been acclimatised to it and took my being gone from SF for a few months to notice it.

WTF is a "lawn jockey"? I'd rather not try an internet search on that while at work...

Its work safe and well worth your while as they are an interesting bit of insight into white southern culture.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by redcaimen
Its work safe and well worth your while as they are an interesting bit of insight into white southern culture.

Uhm... I have a bad feeling about this.

Btw, I could not help but notice that the one and only Artisan Fan has been on a thread bender - has the election finally put him in to a frenzy of denial and thread creation that surpasses even his own glorious levels? Hell, there are probably spam bot coders that could learn something from his mad skillzzz
laugh.gif

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My fault on that snark in the Self Edge thread. Srrybouthat.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to stick my beek in but how about that Ghulkhan's "roomate" thread where Osho calls him out for scamming him on some shoes.

Do mods ever ban members for stuff like this?

dl

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd like to suggest that we ask sellers not to bump threads containing only one item just to post that the item is sold. (Assuming the first post can be edited to reflect that, I mean.) The bump just denies an active sales thread a spot on the first page, and it's pointless to open a bumped thread only to find the item is already taken.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I'd like to suggest that we ask sellers not to bump threads containing only one item just to post that the item is sold. (Assuming the first post can be edited to reflect that, I mean.) The bump just denies an active sales thread a spot on the first page, and it's pointless to open a bumped thread only to find the item is already taken.
ya, I agree with that actually. We have enough trouble getting people to read the rules as it is, but I will add that to the B&S rules....Feel free to report it when you see it. Makes a bit of extra work for us (the joys of keeping B&S clean), and we will just delete the "sold" post, close the thread and it drops back to wherever it belonged (just like any other bump)

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
ya, I agree with that actually. We have enough trouble getting people to read the rules as it is, but I will add that to the B&S rules....Feel free to report it when you see it. Makes a bit of extra work for us (the joys of keeping B&S clean), and we will just delete the "sold" post, close the thread and it drops back to wherever it belonged (just like any other bump)

Lucky I happened to spot this.

While I agree with it in principle I have some reservations on how it's going to work in practice.

Already a small minority of sellers split items up into multiple sales threads to increase their "advertising space" on the front page. I combine all my items into a single thread which has much less "space" impact. I would have thought it's nicer to have an occasional "sold" bump on a single thread of many items rather having sellers split up their items across many different threads, just to create more of an impact as I can definitely see happening.

The fundamental problem is that not everyone "plays nice" in B&S, which leads bump/advertising arms races...

... anyway, will do my best to abide by this new rule.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I think the no "... sold" stealth bump rule only applies to threads listing one or perhaps two things for sale. Per DocHolliday's original suggestion:

Originally Posted by DocHolliday

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Lucky I happened to spot this. While I agree with it in principle I have some reservations on how it's going to work in practice. Already a small minority of sellers split items up into multiple sales threads to increase their "advertising space" on the front page. I combine all my items into a single thread which has much less "space" impact. I would have thought it's nicer to have an occasional "sold" bump on a single thread of many items rather having sellers split up their items across many different threads, just to create more of an impact as I can definitely see happening. The fundamental problem is that not everyone "plays nice" in B&S, which leads bump/advertising arms races... ... anyway, will do my best to abide by this new rule.
ya, to be honest, I share the same concerns (since I am basically making work for us there). Basically - and being totally transparent here - if it isnt reported, it probably won't be enforced, and people will continue to get away with it. I file this under 'common courtesy' rule - but unfortunately realise that the problem with common courtesy is that it is not that common.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^ I think the no "... sold" stealth bump rule only applies to threads listing one or perhaps two things for sale. Per DocHolliday's original suggestion:

Originally Posted by m@T
ya, to be honest, I share the same concerns (since I am basically making work for us there). Basically - and being totally transparent here - if it isnt reported, it probably won't be enforced, and people will continue to get away with it. I file this under 'common courtesy' rule - but unfortunately realise that the problem with common courtesy is that it is not that common.

m@T - I hear you. Can you clarify if whacked is right about this only applying to single (or maybe a couple of item) threads?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I was thinking more 'last item in any thread' - which is essentially the same, right?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
I was thinking more 'last item in any thread' - which is essentially the same, right?

Gotcha, and makes sense. I think I read the post too quickly and misinterpreted it to mean ANY sale, not just last item in the thread. Stopping this practice for the last item in thread definitely makes a LOT of sense.

Cool.
fing02[1].gif

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to bar FormalFashion08/Executive/Lafont and the likes from posting anywhere but in Dumb Threads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads