• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think there is any way around a dedicated server for a site this big. Will cost you about 5x as much though. I had already assumed you were on a dedicated server.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, at the last hosting site, it practically was dedicated since the other sites on the server didn't get much traffic at all, but we were loading it down pretty hard. We'll see if a shared server can work, and if not, we'll move up to a dedicated one.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I don't think there is any way around a dedicated server for a site this big. Will cost you about 5x as much though. I had already assumed you were on a dedicated server.

I thought there is a dedicated server too.

I'm not a computer guy though. It seems like computer hardware prices are going down, and specs are going up.

To you techies out there. How much would a sufficient dedicated server cost. I'm just guessing $1000-1500. Is that about right?

For all the time I spend on this site, and enjoyment I get, I would be willing to contribute toward an SF server.

I'm thinking 100 people at $10 each would be $1000. Is that feasible? 100 people contributing $10, and buying a server for $1000. Could you see that happening?

What do you think?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
You can have one of my old undershirts that I'm about to give away to Goodwill.
laugh.gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sorry.

smile.gif

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think DDS is a denturate.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm in

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
The powers that be don't like the mouse-over to read the beginning of the thread feature? I liked that one.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The server-that-is was getting overloaded, so I turned that off for now. It adds a lot of queries to each forum/search view.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Charley has been timed out for a week.

When a moderator tells you to not troll in the Current Events forum, of all places, you know that you have really crossed the line. Next time you want to be timed out, you don't need to post a new thread mocking the moderator's instructions. You can just PM me requesting a timeout, and I'd be happy to oblige.

Fok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads