Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

I think AmericanWay$ should be given a second chance. He has a wealth of knowledge that this forum really can't live without.

2. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I think AmericanWay$ should be given a second chance. He has a wealth of knowledge that this forum really can't live without.

WHO is your avatar?

3. hossoso

hossoso Coward and P*ssy

I think AmericanWay$ should be the B&S moderator.

4. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

WHO is your avatar?

Camilla Belle. Rawr.

5. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Camilla Belle. Rawr.
    That's right. You might remember her from such films as 10,000 BC, When a Stranger Calls, and The Lost World: Jurrasic Park.

6. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

That's right. You might remember her from such films as 10,000 BC, When a Stranger Calls, and The Lost World: Jurrasic Park.
    As long as J is granting wishes, I think he needs to change Stazy's avatar to this, and permanently: [​IMG]

7. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Atheists cannot disprove that God is a man.

8. whodini

Atheists cannot disprove that God is a man.
    While in Catholic elementary school I remember my late-20s female teacher having a debate with us during a religion class. Her question was why do Christians refer to God as "He" when no one knows God's sex and the He could very well be a She. WELL, THERE'S THE FUCKING PROOF ALREADY. It's called the "Asian/White/Black/Hispanic Girl Appreciation Thread."

9. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

While in Catholic elementary school I remember my late-20s female teacher having a debate with us during a religion class. Her question was why do Christians refer to God as "He" when no one knows God's sex and the He could very well be a She. WELL, THERE'S THE FUCKING PROOF ALREADY. It's called the "Asian/White/Black/Hispanic Girl Appreciation Thread."
    God could be a lesbian! [​IMG]

10. xchen

xchen Senior member

I don't think anyone saw those movies.

11. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

My understanding, more from etymological perspective, is that 'man' is really a gender-neutral derivation of the Old English words 'waifman' for male and 'wifman' for female. ~Huntsman

12. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

My understanding, more from etymological perspective, is that 'man' is really a gender-neutral derivation of the Old English words 'waifman' for male and 'wifman' for female. ~Huntsman
    Yes, and to elaborate upon that, "the term "man" (from Proto-Germanic mannaz "man, person") and words derived from it can designate any or even all of the human race regardless of their gender or age. This is indeed the oldest usage of "man". The word developed into Old English man, mann "human being, person," (cf. also German Mann, Old Norse maðr, Gothic manna "man"). It is derived from a PIE base *man- (cf. Sanskrit/Avestan manu-, Russian muzh "man, male"). Sometimes, the word is connected with the root *men- "to think" (cognate to mind). Restricted use in the sense "adult male" only began to occur in late Old English, around 1000 AD, and the word formerly expressing male sex, wer had died out by 1300 (but survives in e.g. were-wolf and were-gild). The original sense of the word is preserved in mankind, from Old English mancynn. In Old English the words wer and wyf (also wæpman and wifman) were what was used to refer to "a man" and "a woman" respectively, and "man" was gender neutral. In Middle English man displaced wer as term for "male human," whilst wyfman (which eventually evolved into woman) was retained for "female human." Man does continue to carry its original sense of "Human" however, resulting in an asymmetry sometimes criticized as sexist. In the 20th century, the generic meaning of "man" declined still further (but survives in compounds "mankind", "everyman", "no-man", etc), and it is probable that future generations will see it as totally archaic, and use it solely to mean "adult male". Interestingly, exactly the same thing has happened to the Latin word homo: in the Romance languages, homme, uomo, hombre, homem etc. have all come to refer mainly to males, with residual generic meaning." http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/man

13. whodini

God could be a lesbian! [​IMG]

[​IMG] the rest of you seen quick to beat up on a school teacher.

14. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Yes, and to elaborate upon that, "the term "man" (from Proto-Germanic mannaz "man, person&quot[​IMG] and words derived from it can designate any or even all of the human race regardless of their gender or age. This is indeed the oldest usage of "man". The word developed into Old English man, mann "human being, person," (cf. also German Mann, Old Norse maðr, Gothic manna "man&quot[​IMG]. It is derived from a PIE base *man- (cf. Sanskrit/Avestan manu-, Russian muzh "man, male&quot[​IMG]. Sometimes, the word is connected with the root *men- "to think" (cognate to mind). Restricted use in the sense "adult male" only began to occur in late Old English, around 1000 AD, and the word formerly expressing male sex, wer had died out by 1300 (but survives in e.g. were-wolf and were-gild). The original sense of the word is preserved in mankind, from Old English mancynn. In Old English the words wer and wyf (also wæpman and wifman) were what was used to refer to "a man" and "a woman" respectively, and "man" was gender neutral. In Middle English man displaced wer as term for "male human," whilst wyfman (which eventually evolved into woman) was retained for "female human." Man does continue to carry its original sense of "Human" however, resulting in an asymmetry sometimes criticized as sexist. In the 20th century, the generic meaning of "man" declined still further (but survives in compounds "mankind", "everyman", "no-man", etc), and it is probable that future generations will see it as totally archaic, and use it solely to mean "adult male". Interestingly, exactly the same thing has happened to the Latin word homo: in the Romance languages, homme, uomo, hombre, homem etc. have all come to refer mainly to males, with residual generic meaning." http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/man
    Cool. Thanks.

15. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I guess SuperUnderPantsman got spaminated?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.