1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Spam bots be going nuts locking up the forums and search with "Hello" posts.

2. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Spam bots be going nuts locking up the forums and search with "Hello" posts.

word, the WTB forum has been bombed.

Jesus, this forum has been bombed also, LawrenceYZ is a tool.

3. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

word, the WTB forum has been bombed.
    Why don't the bots try to post in the main or other non minimum post count subforums?

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Can we issue a minimum post count requirement to start new threads?

(My original draft asked for a minimum post requirement in order to post).

5. j

j Senior member Admin

Something is up with the forum software that is making it difficult to make changes like that right now. I'm working on upgrading everything to the newest version and that should take care of 99% of this crap we're dealing with now. Unfortunately, it is really nice out today (comparatively) so it might not get handled until after the current intermission from Psycho Winter III - The Revenge.

6. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

Thanks to whichever mod (J?) fixed the title of my "flatmate" thread. If you're going to poke fun at someone, it helps to spell properly.

7. j

j Senior member Admin

I'm the thread title spelling Nazi around here. Don't like untidy thread titles. I leave Ernest's though because it's part of his charm.

8. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I don't suppose there's any chance we can get people to stop using gay slurs?

No one would put up with people using nigger, spic, kyke, or any other such thing, but fag and homo seem perfectly acceptable.

For reference, see the thread on Prop. 8 in the CE forum.
    Thoughts?

b

9. RJmanbearpig

RJmanbearpig Senior member

I don't suppose there's any chance we can get people to stop using gay slurs?

No one would put up with people using nigger, spic, kyke, or any other such thing

Did AF's thread on that get squirrelled?

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

No one would put up with people using nigger, spic, kyke, or any other such thing, but fag and homo seem perfectly acceptable.

b

People use that word all the time. Read the SW&D WAYWT. Also, people have used the Jewish term before as well. I always assumed it was as a joke, just like it is when most of th epeople here say fag.

As for saying "homo," how can that be a gay slur? Homo is more accurate than gay, considering it's short for homosexual.

11. binge

binge Senior member

People use that word all the time. Read the SW&D WAYWT.

There's also that Colin Powell pic...

12. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Did AF's thread on that get squirrelled?
    We say lawn jockey now to express the same sentiment. It is a bit more genteel.

13. whodini

whodini Senior member

Oh Christ that's ballsy.

SOLID.

14. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

+1, thats like walking into the police station, doing a line off the commissioner's desk, shitting in his filing cabinet then using his tie to wipe your ass.

K

15. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

We've witnessed history in the making. [​IMG]

16. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

Sorry but I have Kwilkinson and a number of others on my ignore list due to their incessant posting, so I can't see all the replies. But I gather that some of the slurs I chose are actually used. Congratulations guys. Great argument for keeping the gay slurs around. You're all winners in my book.

b

17. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hi B,

I think most all of the gay slurs in that thread are used in a joking or a non-serious way. Kwilk, for example, most assuredly is using it in a joking way. As is Labelking.

I'll be honest with you, B, but I'm a little curious why are you seemingly so interested in having so many discussions of behavior (avatars, language, etc.), especially when it seems you are misinterpreting the behavior? Again, maybe it's just a topic for discussion, but I really just don't see why we are telling people they can't make off-color jokes.

If the "slurs" were egregious and done in derogatory fashion, then of course that is worth complaint. But, for the most part, what I've seen of the use of the words has been done in an intentionally egregious, ironic manner for humor.

Maybe it's not funny to you, but in a thread on which tensions can run so high, sometimes a really "over the top" joke can add a needed bit of levity.

18. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

We've witnessed history in the making. [​IMG]

Yep, in the realm of spam, this is like Dylan going electric.

19. dl20

dl20 Senior member

spam in the WTB forum is getting ridicolous lately. Are they taking advantage of the fact that its not as frequently policed as the others?

I'll keep an eye on it and report here [​IMG]

dl

20. Homme

Homme Senior member

Sometimes i wonder if the spambots were summoned and set upon us by disgruntled former members. Way too many popping up recently (several every day), and there have been none in other fora i frequent

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.