Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

There's something going on- SF is loading soooo slooow. (all the other sites are loading right away).

2. robin

robin Senior member

There's something going on- SF is loading soooo slooow. (all the other sites are loading right away).
    It caught whatever SUFU has.

3. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

It was down all morning. Left me with nothing to do but . . . work.

The horror....

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

The horror....

[​IMG]

Jon.

5. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

It caught whatever SUFU has.

The horror....

Sorry about that. The site will be moved to a new server in the next couple of nights. Can you say "8 cores"? I knew you could.

6. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I'm def out of the loop on this one....

but did Edmorel just quit the forum after getting timeout'd, was he banned...??

7. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'm def out of the loop on this one....

but did Edmorel just quit the forum after getting timeout'd, was he banned...??

hoping he'll return soon...

Selling off leftover scraps on ebay, will make an explosive B&S return in a month or so, I would expect to see a bunch of great stuff on the B&S as the summer sales season kicks off.

Have things going on at work that have precluded me from contributing to the forum.

Thanks for all the messages and funny posts about me. Still hoping to slurp spaghetti from that UCLA girl's nether regions.

8. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Sorry about that. The site will be moved to a new server in the next couple of nights. Can you say "8 cores"? I knew you could.
    Whoa -- SF is really requiring eight cores to serve the site? Criminey, that's a lot of processing power...

9. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Whoa -- SF is really requiring eight cores to serve the site? Criminey, that's a lot of processing power...

SF has been growing steadily for years now, but has really picked up in the last year or so. Check out how many users are online at anyone time. Not 2 years ago 300+ members online at a time was a lot. Now, we get that in the middle of the night, and over 750 at peak hours. Plus, who really wants this place to be "undergoing renovations" like other sites?

10. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

SF has been growing steadily for years now, but has really picked up in the last year or so. Check out how many users are online at anyone time. Not 2 years ago 300+ members online at a time was a lot. Now, we get that in the middle of the night, and over 750 at peak hours. Plus, who really wants this place to be "undergoing renovations" like other sites?

That, and posts get bumped down to second page real quick in the main forum.

11. j

Well currently it's "requiring" 2 cores, but the load is consistently high due to the volume of MySQL queries. The next option up that was available was a dual quad-core Xeon system, so that's what we're moving to. Hopefully we'll be future proof for a while, especially with a couple things we're going to roll out after the upgrade.

BTW, downtime is scheduled for either tonight or tomorrow night 3-5AM Eastern, but they said the switch shouldn't take nearly that long. I'll update when I know what night for sure.

12. j

Well currently it's "requiring" 2 cores, but the load is consistently high due to the volume of MySQL queries. The next option up that was available was a dual quad-core Xeon system, so that's what we're moving to. Hopefully we'll be future proof for a while, especially with a couple things we're going to roll out after the upgrade.

BTW, downtime is scheduled for either tonight or tomorrow night 3-5AM Eastern, but they said the switch shouldn't take nearly that long. I'll update when I know what night for sure.

Err... no pun intended. [​IMG]

I just removed the 25 post minimums for B&S. I think 45 days is enough of a spam deterrent and I don't want newbs to have any incentive to post fluff to get to 25.

13. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Well currently it's "requiring" 2 cores, but the load is consistently high due to the volume of MySQL queries. The next option up that was available was a dual quad-core Xeon system, so that's what we're moving to. Hopefully we'll be future proof for a while, especially with a couple things we're going to roll out after the upgrade. BTW, downtime is scheduled for either tonight or tomorrow night 3-5AM Eastern, but they said the switch shouldn't take nearly that long. I'll update when I know what night for sure.
    Thanks, guys -- my computer expertise lies in one tiny area far from the Web, and I'm running dual quad-core Xeons to service it, so at least I know how much oomph that is. It's remarkable how much traffic SF generates, and the rate at which it has increased! Thank you for keeping up with it, both from a hardware and a human perspective. Regards, Huntsman

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Thanks, guys -- my computer expertise lies in one tiny area far from the Web, and I'm running dual quad-core Xeons to service it, so at least I know how much oomph that is. It's remarkable how much traffic SF generates, and the rate at which it has increased! Thank you for keeping up with it, both from a hardware and a human perspective.

Regards,
    Huntsman

What is this human perspective of which you speak? j. is a bot created by Steve back in Spring 2002. It's since put Steve into a cryogenic chamber and taken over. If I'm not posting tomorrow, tell my story on AAAC.

15. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

If I'm not posting tomorrow, tell my story on AAAC.
    If you are replace by a bot, will we be able to tell the difference?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.