Transparent Moderation Log & Site Topics - Part I

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by j, May 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

So I take it that my thread called "Why are black people so lazy and criminally inclined; an honest debate" wouldn't be popular? I'll have to stick with the one I'm preparing about "Why can't I call faggots; faggots while faggots can call faggots; faggots?"

All this time and I never knew you were Swiss . . .

Joking, lakewolf, joking . . .

2. Soph

Soph Senior member

I feel this post is a personal attack on me, but I am taking your message to heart and am not going to report it. This time. But I'm watching you.

[​IMG]

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

All this time and I never knew you were Swiss . . .

This is war, old man!!! [​IMG] I've never been so insulted in my life.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

1. Before reporting a post, gauge whether something is appropriate given the general tenor of the forum, not whether you find it personally offensive. For example, today, someone reported posts asking me to take down posts that broke the Commandment to "Not Take the Lord's Name in Vain." Dear member: "You evidently forgot that you were logged into Styleforum, not The 'Evangelical Bible Study forum'". 2. Don't come awhining that you are being picked on when you so very clearly deserve it. No, we do not condone bullying, and when someone goes out of their way to be a dick, I am not hesistant to use the ban-hammer. However, if you invite barbs from a lot of posters, maybe you ought to examine your own online behavior. Here is a pretty good guideline: If it would sound stupid/vain/pretentious in real life, it will come off doubly so over the net. 3. Do not bother reporting trivial crap. Today, someone reported a signature that they said was a personal attack on him. It wasn't. It was a comment on an attack on one of his posts. We are not babysitters. You are by-and-large grown men. Behave as such.
    It seems like a good rule of thumb would be think three times before reporting a post, and then if you still think you should report it, think three more times. Repeat as necessary.

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

This is war, old man!!! [​IMG] I've never been so insulted in my life.

Yeah, yeah. See if we ever invite you to the Super Bowl.

6. Matt

Matt [email protected]

I'm sorry, but what you're doing is not working.
    So what do you propose?

7. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Goodbye fashionist. You ignore my requests, you spam up my board, you post pics that are tiny, you aren't interested in discussing things in your own threads, and you can't even give the courtesy of a link back to us.

Good luck.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Goodbye fashionist. You ignore my requests, you spam up my board, you post pics that are tiny, you aren't interested in discussing things in your own threads, and you can't even give the courtesy of a link back to us.

Good luck.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

So what do you propose?
    Either ban Artisan Fan and get it done with or stop the sporadic enforcement. It's clearly done absolutely nothing to stop that kind of bullshit (from several more people than just AF) for more than a day.

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Good luck.

Boom!

(That was the sound of the hammer crashing down)

11. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Good luck.

[​IMG]

Thank you J!

12. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

It seems like a good rule of thumb would be think three times before reporting a post, and then if you still think you should report it, think three more times. Repeat as necessary.

Do people actually report stuff other than spam??? I mean, I've dished out and taken some smack in my day, but I'd never think of whining to a mod about it.

Everybody who has ever reported anything other than spam needs to grow some balls on the double.

13. whacked

whacked Senior member

Either ban Artisan Fan and get it done with or stop the sporadic enforcement. It's clearly done absolutely nothing to stop that kind of bullshit (from several more people than just AF) for more than a day.

An embargo on AF from posting in the CEsspool would do. Sort of like how amerikajinda isn't allowed to post in girls-related threads.

14. redgrail

redgrail Senior member

http://styleforum.net/showpost.php?p...8&postcount=11

Take a look at this post here. Looks like someone is trying to draw attention to his thread by posting a million keywords in white to get higher on google or something...
    Against the rules? Or just weird and obnoxious?

15. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

An embargo on AF from posting in the CEsspool would do. Sort of like how amerikajinda isn't allowed to post in girls-related threads.

I think AF is the most harmless of the CE posters. Manton's posts are positively Machiavellian, iammatt's are charmingly snarky, but AF is the Fashion TC of politics (and audio): he clearly isn't firing on all cylinders, he parrots (what he thinks is) received wisdom, and he never learns.

It would be like an embargo on me from posting in threads about cats.

In AF's defense, he really does seem like a good-natured person who means no harm. Even if his posts sometimes may be offensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.