• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transit Systems That You Would Gladly Use?

Jerry52

Reaction score
Hello,

Unfortunately, especially in the United States, it seems that riding a city bus has become a stereotype for being poor. The fares are high, service limited, buses don't go where you want, and sometimes they have a reputation for being unsafe to ride.

Most people want the privacy, convenience and security of a personal car, but it would seem that buses could have certain advantages- usually cheaper than taxis, and a way to get acquainted with an unfamiliar city without the danger of driving unknown highways and streets. And- if the bus breaks down, you don't get the bill.

So, I wondered if there's any GOOD NEWS in urban transit out there- cities or even small towns with some innovative, useful transit systems that DO lure you to ride frequently?

Jerry

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
townring.gif

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
townring.gif

lol I loved Ultima

I take the chicago transit system, usually the train, fairly regularly. I've never had any problems with it and I don't really see the need to own a car in chicago.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Washington Metro, it's what always gets me to work. The only issues can be the tourists who are completely unaware of the commuters around them.

JB

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Washington Metro, it's what always gets me to work. The only issues can be the tourists who are completely unaware of the commuters around them.

JB

The Metro is the worst public transportation system I've ever used. Maybe it's because I'm exposed to it on a weekly basis, but I really cannot stand it. Security is almost non-existent and the constant delays and problems are inexcusable. It's excruciating.
censored.gif

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hudson County in New Jersey has a light rail system that's pretty nice - clean and new. Most importantly, it's built largely on former industrial land and newly-laid out streets, and it connects to the existing transit systems - NJ Transit railways and the PATH train to New York.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the train system around Japan. On time all the time and trains run in short intervals so you hardly ever have to wait.

They have been talking (for years) about building a light rail system in Spokane, if they did and it went where I needed it to, I would gladly ride it. The bus system here is hard fail and is loaded with street kids and drug addicts (and the occasional commuter or foreigner).

Kaizen

Reaction score
Chicago's was about as good as I expect a public transit system to get. I used to live downtown and work out by the airport. I'd only have to walk about 3 blocks in the whole trip. I rode the bus and train so much that my driver's license expired and I didn't bother to renew it for several months.

Now, I'm stuck in a city with too much open land around it, causing it to expand in circles. There's really no efficient way to do public transportation in this scenario.

tundrafour

Reaction score
I take the bus in Seattle all the time. It's not fantastic (buses sometimes come late, sometimes come early, and sometimes don't come at all), but I've never felt threatened and I generally prefer it to driving (especially when I'm going somewhere that has limited amounts of parking).

It certainly pales in comparison to the train system in Tokyo (I love the trains in Tokyo...), but at least it's not as crowded, I guess.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's because I'm exposed to it on a weekly basis, but I really cannot stand it.
I don't know, I use it pretty much daily to make the trek out to Dulles (even though I don't work there anymore) and I don't hate it too much. Rush hour is a ***** any way you put it, though.

JB

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stockholm & Helsinki both have good public transport.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Portland, OR worked very well for me the handful of times I needed it. I realize my route was usually ideal (PDX to NW District) but it was easy, clean, and efficient.

Vienna has a pretty decent setup as well both above and below ground.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hong Kong's MRT

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics