1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Transforming a suit coat to sport coat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Beckwith, May 23, 2006.

1. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior Member

I have long lost a pair of pants to pre SF blue Hugo Boss (gasp!) 3 roll 2.5 suit and want to transform this into a sport coat. I have changed the buttons to a tan/grey horn, and I am going to take it to the tailor to have it the sleeves and length shortend. Is this worth doing? or is it going to look like I am wearing the jacket of a suit whose pants I have lost?

2. bch

bch Senior Member

I wouldn't do it with a pin- or chalk-stripe, but blue should look perfectly fine, so long as you like the coat. Why are you shortening the coat and sleeves, though? A sport coat doesn't call for any difference in these measurements compared to a suit.

3. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

If possible, consider removing a button or two from the sleeves (assuming they have four each now). If it is solid and not a twill weave, I think it will work. Hopefully it hasn't too much shoulder padding.

4. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior Member

I wouldn't do it with a pin- or chalk-stripe, but blue should look perfectly fine, so long as you like the coat. Why are you shortening the coat and sleeves, though? A sport coat doesn't call for any difference in these measurements compared to a suit.
    I purchased it way before I knew anything about suits, and took it to a tailor who knew less. The sleeves are a tad long, and I prefer the cuff showing look. The length is also a bit long, and needs to be taken up a bit. It is a solid blue lightweight wool.

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I think shortening the jacket is a good idea, depending on where the pockets are placed and it doesnt throw off the proportions. Sports jackets and suit jackets are usually different in length (at least mine all are) with sport jackets cut a tad shorter. (my suit jackets mostly measure 31-2" long and sport jackets are closer to 30")

6. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Distinguished Member

Just change the buttons to less glossy textured buttons.

7. chorse123

chorse123 Stylish Dinosaur

I have long lost a pair of pants to pre SF blue Hugo Boss (gasp!) 3 roll 2.5 suit and want to transform this into a sport coat. I have changed the buttons to a tan/grey horn, and I am going to take it to the tailor to have it the sleeves and length shortend. Is this worth doing? or is it going to look like I am wearing the jacket of a suit whose pants I have lost?

Only if the fabric is suitable for a sportcoat. If so, definitely shorten the sleeves.

8. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Get an idea how much all the alterations will cost. There's a point when it's just cheaper to get an actual sportcoat.

9. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior Member

Get an idea how much all the alterations will cost. There's a point when it's just cheaper to get an actual sportcoat.
    Not to hijack my own thread, but that leads me to another question. How much is reasonable? What should I expect to pay for sleeve and jacket shortening?, I have found a good alterations tailor who quoted me $26 to shorten sleeves. He has done great hand sewn working button holes for $50, with other alterations being done at the same time.

10. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Not to hijack my own thread, but that leads me to another question. How much is reasonable? What should I expect to pay for sleeve and jacket shortening?, I have found a good alterations tailor who quoted me $26 to shorten sleeves. He has done great hand sewn working button holes for $50, with other alterations being done at the same time.
    That is reasonable, IMO. And $50 for 8 hand sewn working buttonholes on the sleeves is pretty phenomenal. I've heard $10 each to $100 all-in as typical prices for that work.