• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Transforming a suit coat to sport coat?

Beckwith

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
910
Reaction score
159
I have long lost a pair of pants to pre SF blue Hugo Boss (gasp!) 3 roll 2.5 suit and want to transform this into a sport coat. I have changed the buttons to a tan/grey horn, and I am going to take it to the tailor to have it the sleeves and length shortend. Is this worth doing? or is it going to look like I am wearing the jacket of a suit whose pants I have lost?
 

bch

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2004
Messages
281
Reaction score
1
I wouldn't do it with a pin- or chalk-stripe, but blue should look perfectly fine, so long as you like the coat. Why are you shortening the coat and sleeves, though? A sport coat doesn't call for any difference in these measurements compared to a suit.
 

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
2,455
Reaction score
4
If possible, consider removing a button or two from the sleeves (assuming they have four each now). If it is solid and not a twill weave, I think it will work. Hopefully it hasn't too much shoulder padding.
 

Beckwith

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
910
Reaction score
159
Originally Posted by bch
I wouldn't do it with a pin- or chalk-stripe, but blue should look perfectly fine, so long as you like the coat. Why are you shortening the coat and sleeves, though? A sport coat doesn't call for any difference in these measurements compared to a suit.
I purchased it way before I knew anything about suits, and took it to a tailor who knew less. The sleeves are a tad long, and I prefer the cuff showing look. The length is also a bit long, and needs to be taken up a bit. It is a solid blue lightweight wool.
 

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
12,240
Reaction score
250
I think shortening the jacket is a good idea, depending on where the pockets are placed and it doesnt throw off the proportions. Sports jackets and suit jackets are usually different in length (at least mine all are) with sport jackets cut a tad shorter. (my suit jackets mostly measure 31-2" long and sport jackets are closer to 30")
 

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
1,674
Reaction score
2
Just change the buttons to less glossy textured buttons.
 

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 5, 2004
Messages
10,448
Reaction score
75
Originally Posted by Beckwith
I have long lost a pair of pants to pre SF blue Hugo Boss (gasp!) 3 roll 2.5 suit and want to transform this into a sport coat. I have changed the buttons to a tan/grey horn, and I am going to take it to the tailor to have it the sleeves and length shortend. Is this worth doing? or is it going to look like I am wearing the jacket of a suit whose pants I have lost?

Only if the fabric is suitable for a sportcoat. If so, definitely shorten the sleeves.
 

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Joined
Nov 7, 2003
Messages
7,805
Reaction score
78
Get an idea how much all the alterations will cost. There's a point when it's just cheaper to get an actual sportcoat.
 

Beckwith

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
910
Reaction score
159
Originally Posted by AlanC
Get an idea how much all the alterations will cost. There's a point when it's just cheaper to get an actual sportcoat.
Not to hijack my own thread, but that leads me to another question. How much is reasonable? What should I expect to pay for sleeve and jacket shortening?, I have found a good alterations tailor who quoted me $26 to shorten sleeves. He has done great hand sewn working button holes for $50, with other alterations being done at the same time.
 

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Feb 17, 2002
Messages
14,914
Reaction score
98
Originally Posted by Beckwith
Not to hijack my own thread, but that leads me to another question. How much is reasonable? What should I expect to pay for sleeve and jacket shortening?, I have found a good alterations tailor who quoted me $26 to shorten sleeves. He has done great hand sewn working button holes for $50, with other alterations being done at the same time.
That is reasonable, IMO. And $50 for 8 hand sewn working buttonholes on the sleeves is pretty phenomenal. I've heard $10 each to $100 all-in as typical prices for that work.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

  • 7”

    Votes: 48 16.2%
  • 7.5”

    Votes: 103 34.7%
  • 8”

    Votes: 89 30.0%
  • 8.5”

    Votes: 33 11.1%
  • 9”

    Votes: 12 4.0%
  • 9.5”

    Votes: 7 2.4%
  • 10”

    Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 10.5”

    Votes: 4 1.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
432,012
Messages
9,267,865
Members
194,538
Latest member
mercyolivia
Top