• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Transform your jackets with a professional pressing

DandySF

Reaction score
I discovered that a professional pressing can transform a sport jacket. I received two jackets from Chan and placed them on hangers. I fiddled around with some steaming and pressing to ease out the wrinkles that were formed while they were jammed in the box. My results weren't impressive.

I went to a nearby cleaner and asked whether I could wait while they pressed them for me. What a transformation--the jackets look better than they ever have. The pocket flaps lie flat and smooth, the roll of the lapel is gorgeous, the body hangs beautifully.

I asked to accompany the person who did the pressing. We walked down into the basement and I watched as he used an inflatable steam form for the body and sleeves. He then did some hand touch-up and used a pressing machine for the lapels--no creases, just a flat pressing that results in a great roll. There's no way I could replicate what he accomplished. This is probably the best $10 I've spent all week.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nicely done. I just took a thrift store find into the cleaners and had similar results. Looks good as new. How about a pic or two of the new Chans?

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. Nice tip.

brimley

Reaction score
Bumping an old thread for my own ends. I know there's been discussion about changing the lie of a lapel roll but I can't find it. Can a true 3B be re-rolled to a 3-2B? I know that's a pretty strong crease to be re-routing, but interested in opinions.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nyf
Bumping an old thread for my own ends. I know there's been discussion about changing the lie of a lapel roll but I can't find it. Can a true 3B be re-rolled to a 3-2B? I know that's a pretty strong crease to be re-routing, but interested in opinions.

I've done it multiple times. It's totally fine on a canvassed suit but won't last on a fused suit (will revert to the original roll after a few wears)

Here's an example of a true 3B that I pressed to 3-roll-2:

WAYWT_20nov_1.jpg

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nyf
Did you press it yourself or have a cleaner do it? Any tips if done by you?

Myself. I just put the jacket on a hanger and hang it on my shower curtain rod, pull the lapels forward and steam them from underneath until the roll almost disappears, then fold the lapel back in the shape I'm looking to achieve (i.e. lower end), hold the bottom pinched at that point, and steam up and down on the roll side.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads