Tramezza, what makes them exceptional?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by antirabbit, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Amar ezzahi

Amar ezzahi Affiliate Vendor

2. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Hello,
    just a little question : are the tramezza goodyear welted?

Yes, all SF Tramezza shoes are.

3. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

Yes, all SF Tramezza shoes are.

Without taking up the contrarian cudgel with too much fervor, I'm not sure this is true across the board. I have a pair of Tramezza lizard loafers that appear to be Blake-rapid stitched. Ferragamo is a bit coy in referring to something called the "Tramezza welting process" in its promotional literature. Lots of wriggle room there.
    But, yes, I think EL72 is generally correct: most of the Tramezza shoes are Goodyear. Nice shoes too.

4. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

Gherardo

[​IMG]

Love those, picked em upa few days ago for around 230

5. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

I read sometime ago on this forum that Tramezza are actually better constructed than JL or EG. The person who was talking about it really seemed to know what he was talking about. I think he said that the Tramezza are hand welted whereas JL and EG are machine welted among other things....

It was RIDER the one who said they were definately better constructed than JLs however I am unsure about the handwelt thing.....

Anyways I think the ones I bought were an amazing deal at 229

6. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Some may say English shoes look boring. If you want more fashion forwarded shoes that are well made then Tramazza will work for you.

7. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Though the Tramezzas are well-made, I do end up buying Santonis instead. Guess it's just personal preference.

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

yes, however much i appreciate the construction behind tramezzas and the general designs and looks,

i cannot say too much about the 'rock your boat' factor of them.

my shoes got to 'rock my boat' . they gotta be something to shout about and make me pump my heart and move me.

yes, a 230 dollar tramezza is AMAZING.
    but to tell you the truth, it is something I will quickly get bored of it and in 48 hours trying to flip it.

other brands not so: vass, lobb, EG, santoni , etc.

these brands perhaps in a couple of weeks or a few months.

9. haganah

haganah Senior member

Have any of you ever bought the Tramezzas at a discount in person?

I went to the Ferragamo sale last week and most of the models were junkity junk junk. I want the quality stuff.

But I'm worried about sizing and I want to try it out in person. Am I being silly about not buying a shoe because I think an SA has to do a lot of work getting shoes from stock rooms? I don't know. Convince me people.

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

there are a few tramezzas in various sizes and colors at the nordstrom sale. they are a bit steep still at 450 but in a few weeks they should go to half price i think to 325 or so.

11. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

I seem to be quoted often when the topic of Tremezza comes up, and I still love the ORIGINAL group and heft of the construction. From what I see here lately, Ferragamo seems to have 'expanded' the line a bit - for sure the models pictured in this thread ARE NOT what I was referring to. I have not paid much attention to Ferragamo for awhile now, but it would appear that they took some of the guts out of the shoes. The lasts were very nice....good balance and a nice, updated toebox without being too much. They were always a tight group of 4 or 5 patterns, available in a 2 colors.....alot of handwork on the construction - very clean outsole and welt work....just beautiful shoes. Always fit very well, especially in the arch and instep.

I have worked on enought Lobbs in refinishing (have some now) to stand by my statement, only edited, I guess, to say the Original Tramezza Line (I don't know when they stopped with this work, though) is better made - sole and welt work - than what I hold in my hands by Lobb. I will say that much of the calf on Lobb is really fantastic, but I seem to remember the same when I worked on Tremezza's.

Not taking anything from Lobb, just handing it to Ferragamo when they had this line done really nice....maybe they don't any longer, by the looks of the pics here. Those are NOT the outsoles I remember, and the last is very awkward, to my eye.

Oh, and I just remembered, this line was the first I know of that started to feature gentle, classy antiquing, which I really was impressed with.

Ron

12. thinman

thinman Senior member

FWIW, here's a pic of my Tramezzas, all purchased at the Ferragamo outlet store in Cabazon. L to R, black Filosofo, brown Merald 2, Gherardo, and Daniely: [​IMG] I bought the Merald 2 and Gherardo in Spring 2005 and the Filosofo and Daniely in Fall 2006. The brown shoes all started life the same color, but I've polished them with different colors to antique them. I wear both pairs of monkstraps quite a bit and they take a beating because I wear them dancing. I wear the Gherardo infrequently, though that is changing, and the Daniely's are my go-to shoes to wear with a suit, which I do _very_ infrequently. Special thanks to Ron Rider for providing Saphir shoe creams with my recent Martegani order. The Merald 2 was looking a little dry and lifeless, but application of Saphir cream perked them right up. I now believe Saphir creams are worth the extra money. Edit: I've been looking for a pair of the Fiorenzo in my size, but the ebay action has slowed considerably in the past year and I can't get to the Cabazon outlet store regularly.

13. stickonatree

stickonatree Senior member

thinman, very nice shoes! can you tell me the models of the 2 balmorals? i am new to tramezza, hoping to order a pair soon like one of those.

speaking of which - does anyone know how i can call and order from the outlets?

14. epa

epa Senior member

I am not sure that Tramezza is a style. Actually, when looking at the shoes in a Ferragamo shop, I have difficulties in distinguishing, when looking at the uppers, the Tramezzas from the Studios and the "Lavorazione Originales" (I think that is the name of this "intermediate" line).
    Once in a Ferragamo boutique I asked about this. I was told that they all have the same fine leather, but that the Studios basically have a quite simple sole basically glued to the upper, whereas the connection between (the same kind of) sole and the upper is better (I do not know the correct term, but it has something to do with sewing) in the case of Lavorazione Originale.
    Then, I was told that in the case of the Tramezzas, the same kind of high quality (?) connection between sole and upper was used as for the Laorzaione Originales, but with the big difference that the Tramezza sole was of a far superior construction. I was shown a sample of a Tramezza cut in half, where you could admire the multilayer construction of the sole. Allegedly, the construction of the sole makes the sole adapt to the shape of the wearer's foot, thus increasing comfort.
    Thus, I walked out of the shop with the impression that the big difference between the Tramezzas and the Studios (and the Lavorazione Originale) is the far better construction of the sole, causing it to adapt to the foot. And, actually, that is also the impression that I have, considering my one pair of Tramezzas and my two pairs of Studios. But I may have gotten everything wrong.