• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Training with a cold

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My throat hurt this morning, yet I went to the gym later in the day, as it felt alright.

Usually I would skip going at all if I woke up with a sore throat. Any experienced people around here who knows if it's a bad idea?

the_drizzle

Reaction score

My throat hurt this morning, yet I went to the gym later in the day, as it felt alright.
Usually I would skip going at all if I woke up with a sore throat. Any experienced people around here who knows if it's a bad idea?

For minor things, the biggest issue is getting everyone around you sick. If you are spraying fluids everywhere but feel decent, stick to running outside or working out at home.

For anything that noticeable hinders your daily activities, you are better off resting and working hard once you recover.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to the gym when you're sick is an asshole move. Stay home.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they will eventually get a cold one way or another, so go to the gym any ways, it is not a big deal if you get some people sick, they can take it.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nah, I think I will take my responsibility and stay away from the gym when having a cold. The risk of passing it on had slipped my mind, and indeed I feel kinda asshole-ish for it.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your symptoms are above the neck, you can most likely train, if not then it's a bad idea.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
If it's a cold, a moderate workout is ok.

I have a cold now and am still putting up the same numbers. Volume should be a little lower. Drop one set for each exercise.

If you have something like a flu, I would avoid working out. Else someone would drop some ball sweat on your face after getting a flu off you.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was once at a small hotel gym that was full except for one empty cardio machine and it smelt like someone had a cold and was on a permanent nasal drip. I kept looking around to see (smell?) who it was.

I read somewhere someone recommended on a first board that working out will raise your body temperature and burn up the little bacteria but then I also read it jacks up your metabolism which could be bad if you're taking medication.

Last edited:

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last weekend had a bad cold, turned into a sinus infection. My age is catching up with my body, just last year I ran 7+ miles with swine flu, this year I worked out on the Friday feeling it coming on (did back and shoulders) Sat and Sunday too congested to w/o or run. Monday through Wednesday too exhausted from the SI to even get off the couch, barely got to the ENT. Tried to do an easy 3 mile run Thursday, was miserable during and after even though I felt ok before. Rested Friday and then had terrible sleep (prob from not working out). Saturday ran 6 miles in hail and wind, Sunday had a heavy hard chest/tricep day. Today I was going to do biceps and shoulders, but decided to give myself another rest day, especially seeing I didn't get my usual sleep due to the Giant game. Tomorrow I want to try and get back in the swing, maybe a 7 miler considering it'll be 50. Wednesday I'll lift and by then hopefully be back to normal.

Anyway, point here is that a lot of stuff is dependent. Age, Sleep, Condition, Routine, but most importantly, body chemistry...

Just gotta trust how you feel, and try and be mindful of others to not infect them.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have gotten back on track now. It's sweet getting back to the workout routines I had before the cold. It seems like I'm actually heading for the best shape of my life. Great feeling considering I turn 34 this year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads