• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Training large predators for film

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a show on national geographic called "Grizzly Face to Face". The focus of the show was a bear named Rocky that was in a Will Ferrel movie called Semi Pro (). Long story short, it killed one of the trainers with a bite to the neck. They actually showed the attack unedited. The bear grabbed him by the neck and had ahold of him for about 6 seconds before they were able to pepper spray him off. The guy got up afterwards and ran away, but ended up bleeding to death before paramedics arrived. After watching the Timothy Treadwell thing and other shows about "experts", are they collectively stupid, or just extremely narcissistic? Some memorable quotes from the show: "It was a mystery why the bear attacked" "Law enforcement will have to determine if the attack was an accident, or a mauling. If it was a mauling, the bear will be considered dangerous" "It's possible that Rocky's actions that day could have been linked to his training" - yes, that or his actions could have been the result of him being a grizzly bear Randy Miller was the owner of the bear. He trains a lot of animals for major films. His cousin was the trainer that died. It will be a miracle if this idiot lives another decade.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
"It's possible that Rocky's actions that day could have been linked to his training" - yes, that or his actions could have been the result of him being a grizzly bear

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson

The worst part is that these same questions are asked every time this sort of thing happens.

How many follow up questions are needed when you know that the guy was wrestling with a grizzly bear? The questions should come when the bear HASN'T mauled someone, which would be unusual. The bear mauling this guy was probably the most natural thing that occurred at this training facility in years.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am always amazed by how "surprised" everyone one is about this kind of thing. Sure you can train a wild animal but it is still fundamentally a wild animal, a pet chimpanzee is not a pet dog, and still retains it's wild instincts. Something like a grizzly bear where we pretty much fall within the size range of things it normally eats always seems particularly likely to, you know, try to eat you one day.

Only slightly related, but quite interesting - a team of russian scientists managed to breed passive, domesticated rats and homicidally angry rats from the same stock showing just how much of that is in the genes. There work has only really come to the attention of the western science fairly recently -
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/25/he...rats.html?_r=1

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long ago, a Russian scientist/veterinarian who was stationed out in B.F. Siberia or something on a fur farm began experimenting on foxes. He found he could basically breed passive, 'domesticated' foxes in 9 generations or something, and as they became more domesticated, they physically changed as well (ears became droopy, colors changed, etc).

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Long ago, a Russian scientist/veterinarian who was stationed out in B.F. Siberia or something on a fur farm began experimenting on foxes. He found he could basically breed passive, 'domesticated' foxes in 9 generations or something, and as they became more domesticated, they physically changed as well (ears became droopy, colors changed, etc).

The same guys, as far as I am aware, as did the rats. They couldn't do the genetic research we can do now, so all of their work is being looked over in Germany now in an attempt to find a (or more likely several) domestication gene.

eztantz

Reaction score
Got exited for no reason.

Wrong type of predator

Suave

Reaction score
he attatcked the trainer because hes a wild fcking animal

my source: common sense

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
bear probably didn't like will ferrell, or maybe went crazy from woody harrelson's smell....

Rambo

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
bear probably didn't like will ferrell, or maybe went crazy from woody harrelson's smell....
I would have thought all the weed Woody's smoking would have calmed him down.
Better question: Can you get a bear high?

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I saw the movie, I thought the bear was fake anyway. How can this not be done with CG/animatronics/GuyInSuit - especially for a big budget comedy film where absolulte realism isn't that important?

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo

Nah it gave him the munchies.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of big predators ... early this morning a mountain lion was killed at Shattuck & Cedar ... right in Berkeley.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo

Better question: Can you get a bear high?

obviously you raytard.

one time they tried to tame my cack for a film but it couldnt be! its wild and free!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.